Official Review: My Auntie Done Told Me by Quan-Tia Busch

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
klbradley
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 32
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klbradley.html
Latest Review: My Auntie Done Told Me by Quan-Tia Busch
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: My Auntie Done Told Me by Quan-Tia Busch

Post by klbradley » 03 Sep 2019, 20:18

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Auntie Done Told Me" by Quan-Tia Busch.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Auntie Done Told Me is a series of quotes and idioms written by Quan-Tia Busch and inspired by her Auntie Shiela. Published in July 2018, the series features charismatic pieces of advice which could be seen as beneficial to all readers. Including the phrases and expressions as told by Auntie Shiela, illustrations are included throughout which only seem to benefit the work more. Featuring vibrant colors and images that leave much to be interpreted, I found myself drawn to them throughout. A quick read, at only 32 Kindle edition pages, this is one that could easily be read in one session, but that I'm sure I will find myself reflecting on when I require a bit of genuine advice or a grin.

The first element that caught my attention about this book was the title. The sense of humor that seems to come along with the writing is something I can unquestionably appreciate as a reader. Although the information within is extremely useful, it's also humorous on various occasions, which makes reading it even that much more enjoyable. It's apparent while reading Quan-Tia Busch reminisce about the locutions shared by her aunt that they share a wonderful relationship that will last her a lifetime.

My preferred piece of advice from the selection comes from the one titled, "Next." Taken directly from the passage, my favorite segment says, "With one flick of your hair and a curl to your lips, keep it moving. March forward powerfully into the next chapter of your life." I particularly admired that this section not only included a piece of relatable and realistic advice that we should all follow, but it also incorporates a bit of humor that I couldn't help but smile at while reading.

My only criticism while reading was due to finding a few spelling/grammatical errors throughout. Although these were small errors, I did find them distracting enough to note. There is an occurrence of the incorrect your/you're, excepting/accepting, and stare/steer. Despite the errors I stumbled across while reading, I am absolutely confident in suggesting this selection of phrases to other readers. I thoroughly enjoyed reading the maxims shared by Auntie Shiela and feel as though many other readers would benefit from her guidance.

As much as I would like to give a full 4 star rating to My Auntie Done Told Me, I do have to lower my rating due to the few errors. I am still pleased to rate the story 3 out of 4 stars and had it not been for the few errors I found along the way, I would recommend this one with the highest praise and a full rating. I'm thankful to the author for bestowing the bits of advice she had learned from someone who clearly has made a meaningful impression on her life.

My Auntie Done Told Me
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian

Michelle Fred
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Michelle Fred » 05 Sep 2019, 03:45

The book seems like an interesting read. I like these sort of books because of how short and impactful their content tend to be. Thanks for sharing.

Y0landa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-y0landa.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Y0landa » 05 Sep 2019, 10:28

Sounds like a great book to read. Learning lessons of life through humor! Seems like a lot more fun this way. :lol: Great review! Thanks!

LinaMueller
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by LinaMueller » 06 Sep 2019, 06:57

Good job. My Auntie Done Told Me seems to be nice and easy-to-read. Great review.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

esp1975
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Spellbound by Julia Goldhirsh

Post by esp1975 » 06 Sep 2019, 13:37

Books of quotes and advice used to be standard graduation gifts and the like. This sounds like it would be a much more fun version of that kind of gift to give.

MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by MatereF » 06 Sep 2019, 14:25

This is a book that I can only refer to as being short and sweet with a touch of humour. The author did find a unique way to share with readers the important lessons she learnt from her aunt. Great review!
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin

corinaelena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: The Cartel Crusher by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by corinaelena » 07 Sep 2019, 00:01

Oh, now I want to read it! I think these types of books are incredibly cute!

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 95
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Sex, Chicken and Coco Butter by Mac Styles

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 08 Sep 2019, 14:07

This sounds like a quirky book loaded with funny but helpful advice! Thanks for the great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”