Official Review: Divorceless Relationships

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samy Lax
2019 Reading Goal: 53
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 62
2018 Reading Goal: 38
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 118
Currently Reading: Upon an Old Wall Dreaming
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Divorceless Relationships by Gary M. Douglas

Official Review: Divorceless Relationships

Post by Samy Lax » 29 Aug 2019, 12:33

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Divorceless Relationships" by Gary M. Douglas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We all live and operate in this world by disguising our true selves, molding us into beings that we actually aren’t—all of it, just to ensure that we get along with those people that we care about. We allow just 10% of our real selves to show up. The amount of energy it takes to keep ourselves within that 10% limit could be massive, right? Is this the price of human existence? Does this negatively impact the potential that we have within ourselves for greatness? In Divorceless Relationships, Gary M. Douglas highlights the consequences of cutting off parts of our true selves, which we often do in order to create close relationships with others.

Across 30 chapters, the author shares a number of ways in which readers can bring joy and fulfillment into their lives and makes us aware of all the options that are available to us to create a better future. Firstly, I liked the presentation of ideas in the book, which systematically tell us how to leverage various tools to differentiate our thoughts, feelings, and emotions from those of others, how to bring more awareness into our lives, how to replace judgment with allowance in order to have better relationships, and so much more. In a world where everyone lives in contextual reality, this non-fictional work emphasizes how some people opt to live instead in the realm of non-contextual reality and what possibilities are available to them. Have you ever considered that the way you pray for more of something could somehow be wrong and could be inviting more lack into your life instead of abundance? In this book, Douglas features ways in which we can create positive energy with the right kind of words, thus bringing more abundance into our lives. He showcases his eloquent ability to write by sharing experiences from his own life as well as from that of others, exposing the truth behind some lies and proposing constructive solutions.

Secondly, I was impressed with how the author was brutally honest about facts around human behavior; for instance, he talks about how people lie all the time and how we should be prepared to take it in our stride. The author aims to open our eyes and have us look into the reality of things and situations. It is obvious that, in this book, Douglas shares tools and learning that he has amassed over the years through personal experiences. These include tips to identify those situations when you remain in a relationship just because you chose to be in it in the first place and now don’t want to get out of it just because you don’t want to appear to be a loser. This made me feel as if I was reading about life stories of people all around me.

I believe this book could be beneficial for any person who wants to know if they are in the right relationships in life and also for those who want to generally boost their self awareness. But if the subject in question isn't of any interest to you, then consider giving this book a pass.

The book appears to be professionally edited. I only found minor grammar errors regarding an adjective and a couple of instances of missing punctuation. Some sentences had a few expletives, which really didn't hamper my enjoyment of the book. I didn't find anything that disappointed me in this work, and I'm pleased to rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Divorceless Relationships
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“My theory is - we don't really go that far into other people, even when we think we do. We hardly ever go in and bring them out. We just stand at the jaws of the cave, and strike a match, and quickly as if anybody's there.”
― Martin Amis, Money

Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Beneath the Muscle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Rachel Lea » 03 Sep 2019, 10:03

The author makes some very interesting and eye-opening observations about human behavior. It's true that most of us hide parts of our true selves from others, for various reasons. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Containment Breach by Wm. A. Yandell

Post by Miller56 » 03 Sep 2019, 11:52

Thanks for the review. I think our personal experiences makes us understand the world around us a little better, and if we take the time, it helps us to look deeper into ourselves. This book looks very interesting.

Michelle Fred
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Michelle Fred » 03 Sep 2019, 13:55

I like that the book teaches self-awareness; that is certainly a subject I'm interested in. Thanks for the review.

Bhaskins
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 75
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by Bhaskins » 03 Sep 2019, 14:31

This sounds interesting and I love books about human behavior. Can’t wait to add it to my list. Thank you.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling

Radiant3
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Queen of Xana
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Radiant3 » 03 Sep 2019, 14:32

The observations made by the author are perceptive. I look forward to reading this book. Thank you for the great review.

Laila_Hashem
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 122
Currently Reading: Marbles
Bookshelf Size: 221
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Laila_Hashem » 03 Sep 2019, 15:12

The idea behind this book seems quite unique, and it explores a topic I am not very knowledgable about, which makes me more willing to read it. Great review!

LauraLeeWasHere
Currently Reading: Hindss Feet on High Places
Bookshelf Size: 104

Post by LauraLeeWasHere » 03 Sep 2019, 18:28

Dear S L,
Your review actually made me pause, think and put me in a pensive mood.

I thought it was interesting how you instigated a question and then answered it from the author's viewpoint. It's nice to see someone use their talents to "attack" a task in a new way. ( I'm referring to you and your review)

Divorceless Relationships sounds like something I would initially skip but it's obvious it affected you and I definitely think I need to give this book some deeper consideration. Thanks for your help.

Sincerely, LL
And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. John 21:25 KJV

reneelu1998
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 122
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading: The Great Dune Trilogy
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by reneelu1998 » 03 Sep 2019, 23:48

Sounds like a great book about relationships. Thanks for the well-written review!

Samy Lax
2019 Reading Goal: 53
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 62
2018 Reading Goal: 38
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 118
Currently Reading: Upon an Old Wall Dreaming
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Divorceless Relationships by Gary M. Douglas

Post by Samy Lax » 04 Sep 2019, 01:26

Rachel Lea wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 10:03
The author makes some very interesting and eye-opening observations about human behavior. It's true that most of us hide parts of our true selves from others, for various reasons. Thanks for your review!
Exactly. These are the very aspects of the book that kept me reading till the last page. Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment!
“My theory is - we don't really go that far into other people, even when we think we do. We hardly ever go in and bring them out. We just stand at the jaws of the cave, and strike a match, and quickly as if anybody's there.”
― Martin Amis, Money

celannecruz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by celannecruz » 04 Sep 2019, 03:30

I really like this book. Definitely worth of your time. You can share it to your friends and relatives to learn a lot from it. Two thumbs up.

MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by MatereF » 04 Sep 2019, 06:24

In this day and age, when we live in a world that our individual awareness is lost in the midst of all that is going around us, such a book will come in handy. This is a book I would read and share with those around me. Great review.
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin

Amenrodion
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amenrodion.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Amenrodion » 04 Sep 2019, 16:07

I can definitely relate to the part where you said we disguise our true selves. That sentence alone perked my interest in this book

Aniza Butt
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 14
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: The School by Robert Davis

Post by Aniza Butt » 05 Sep 2019, 12:19

Seems an interesting book about human behaviour. The author has surely done a great job.
Thanks a lot for the review :tiphat:
"A Day May Come When The Courage of Men Fails.....
But It is Not This Day..This Day We FIGHT!!!"
~Aragorn~

V 1 5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-1-5.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley

Post by V 1 5 » 06 Sep 2019, 17:59

You got me at "reading about life stories of people all around me". That's absolutely interesting. Especially that you have pointed out that it was also brutally honest. I reckon it would be a refreshing book to read. Thanks!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”