Official Review: The Agile Consumer by Greg Kihlstrom

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 364
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: "GalveStorm 1900: A Story of Twin Flames" by Ervin Mendlovitz

Official Review: The Agile Consumer by Greg Kihlstrom

Post by kislany » 28 Aug 2019, 06:59

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Agile Consumer" by Greg Kihlstrom.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Agile Consumer is the latest book in Greg Kihlstrom’s nonfiction business series focusing on the Agile model designed to bring together businesses, brands, and consumers.

The book describes how consumers have changed in the last few years. These days, simply selling brands to them is no longer feasible. Even contemporary marketing techniques are lacking. Greg Kihlstrom does a great job of explaining how consumers think today, and how small and large businesses have to adapt if they want to keep loyal followers that buy not just once but repeatedly thereafter. He gives numerous examples of companies that have adopted the Agile methodology, including Procter & Gamble, LEGO, ING, and many others that have changed the business landscape of today, allowing them to thrive and become successful. The brand-consumer dynamic has been shifting, and if companies are not ready to embrace and even lead the change, they might be forever left behind.

Having worked in the corporate world for over 20 years, I appreciate every word written by Greg Kihlstrom. I worked during a time when the Waterfall methodology was in place, and I can see how companies still using that relatively dated system might fail if they don’t adapt.

The advice the author imparts throughout the pages is invaluable for all organizations working toward embracing Agile technologies. He shows that a company should set itself apart from its competition, it should be authentic and real, and it should put consumers first by empowering them. He describes how when consumers get convenience and personalized service (often using AI technology), they can become loyal to a fault because they feel they matter; they are not just statistical numbers. People want to feel they are contributing, their life is made easier, and they are not merely receivers of products to spend their hard-earned money on.

Consumers are much more sophisticated nowadays, and they now have a very different set of expectations from companies. For example, the author shows how consumers prefer to participate in the design process of the products they will buy. Also, they prefer purchasing from companies that share their own set of values, just like employees prefer working at organizations that embrace the same values and systems they do.

I like how the book highlights that employees are also consumers. Everyone who buys things online or from retail stores is a consumer, so companies have to listen to the feedback from their own employees as well if they want to become innovative in our modern world.

Considering my business background, I found the book easy to read. Each chapter focuses on a particular point the author wants to make. The chapters end with a summary section that highlights the most important issues discussed, making the book also a guide to follow for maximum success. However, in terms of editing, I came across several paragraphs copied from another chapter word for word. I could not confirm whether the Amazon edition is correct for this duplication. Also, I have noticed that the name Procter & Gamble has been misspelled several times as Proctor & Gamble. Thus, as much as the book deserves 4 stars for its wealth of information, the editorial issues force me to drop the rating to 3 out of 4 stars.

I recommend The Agile Consumer to everyone involved in business and marketing. Any marketer (whether in-house or freelance) should pick up the book because today the field is nothing like it was even a decade ago. Learning what works now goes a long way toward making a difference in this information-overloaded world where people’s brains are bombarded with sales and marketing pitches all day long, resulting in companies losing valuable customers and, sometimes, even going out of business.

The Agile Consumer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Bhaskins
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 75
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by Bhaskins » 31 Aug 2019, 07:32

I love to read books like this. It sounds like business mixed with psychology and I love those intersections. Thank you for sharing!
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 95
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Finding Lisa by Sigrid Macdonald

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 31 Aug 2019, 10:00

Sounds like a great book for people in the business sector. Thanks so much for the great review!

Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 41

Post by Nizar Ali Shah » 01 Sep 2019, 02:03

The Agile Consumer by Greg Kihlstrom is non fiction book.The main theme of the book is how effectively and in organised way businesses can be improved according to the present need of the people.In this respect the author advises the new business initiators to change themselves according to the needs and requirements of the consumers.For which they have to adopt change and modern techniques of sales and consumption and how consumers have changed over the times.Simply selling brands to them is no longer feasible.
The author rightly says that the employees are the assets of the companies and companies should take in to consideration their opinion as they mostly know about the company and in this way the companies can become innovative.The book is useful for those who want to improve their existing business or are starting a new business the ideas would strengthen their companies adopting new techniques and innovation in their business

Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Helene_2008 » 02 Sep 2019, 10:19

I'm not very familiar with business models but I think this would be interesting to read and learn more about the agile consumer. It's fascinating the evolution of generations and consumers.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 87
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Last Bush Pilots
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Shelf by David K. DeRemer

Post by kdstrack » 02 Sep 2019, 20:43

I enjoyed your review! The information about how consumers and buying habits have changed is quite interesting. This book would be invaluable for business owners. Great review!

Samson1919
Currently Reading: Raptor
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Samson1919 » 03 Sep 2019, 14:04

I love the book that can expand my knowledge about business and pyschology I all ,I love the book

Laila_Hashem
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 122
Currently Reading: Marbles
Bookshelf Size: 221
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Laila_Hashem » 03 Sep 2019, 15:50

I completely agree with the rating. No matter how engrossing a plotline is, spelling errors are something I could never tolerate when reading a novel. Thanks for the great review!

KDJ
2019 Reading Goal: 160
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading: The Poison Profession
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: The Neigbour At Number 18 (Reload) by Hawa Crickmore

Post by KDJ » 08 Sep 2019, 23:32

Thank you for your review. Although not in business or marketing, I understand how times and consumers are evolving. This book sounds like a good read for those in these fields to continue educating themselves on the agile consumer. Thank you for your recommendation.
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”