Official Review: Real Estate Dealmaking: A Property Inves...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 88
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 136
2017 Reading Goal: 25
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 64
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 638
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Mirrors by Sonya Deulina Williams

Official Review: Real Estate Dealmaking: A Property Inves...

Post by katiesquilts » 25 Aug 2019, 21:17

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Real Estate Dealmaking: A Property Investor's Guide to Negotiating" by George F. Donohue.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I am very interested in real estate investment and always snatch up books about it when I see them on the review list. However, one thing that always bothers me is that most authors on the topic focus on searching for the "best" property, buying it, and then jumping right into searching for tenants. No one really focuses on the act of purchasing a property in detail, much less the preparation that is needed to get the best deal possible. That is why I was thrilled to find George F. Donohue's Real Estate Dealmaking: A Property Investor's Guide to Negotiating. Donohue has decades of knowledge and experience in the real estate business, and his portfolio includes negotiating deals for properties in China, Japan, and Europe, as well as the World Trade Center in New York.

Real Estate Dealmaking: A Property Investor's Guide to Negotiating reads like a textbook, with all the information you could possibly need whittled down to the most necessary items delivered in a concise but easy to understand text, which is also organized perfectly by chapter. Some chapters include excerpts from Donohue's own experiences and there are an abundance of charts and templates for you to use in your own negotiations. There are also scenarios at the end of the book for you to practice your negotiating skills and get used to the flow of things.

I found the book very helpful and easy to understand. I only noticed one tiny error in the book. In fact, the book's biggest disadvantage may be that the charts included only go up to 2004. I would have liked to have seen some of the latest data for interest rates, etc. However, I also feel like that information can easily be researched on the Internet as a supplement to the book.

I believe that Real Estate Dealmaking: A Property Investor's Guide to Negotiating is a must-read for every real estate investor. I would give it 4 out of 4 stars and highly recommend it to all investors, business students, and anyone who feels like they need a crash course in compromising with others. Although the charts are old, the information and worksheets found within the book are timeless. I will definitely be reviewing this book before I make any property purchases in the future.

Real Estate Dealmaking: A Property Investor's Guide to Negotiating
View: on Bookshelves

Gathoni1991
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 85
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 » 12 Sep 2019, 01:32

Nice review and thank you for the heads up.

corinaelena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: The Cartel Crusher by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by corinaelena » 12 Sep 2019, 07:25

Great review! I also enjoy reading books about investing in real estate.

Nyambura Githui
2018 Reading Goal: 7
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 128
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Nyambura Githui » 12 Sep 2019, 17:27

It seems like George did a really good job writing the book. I am always interested in real estate investment books. Great review.

Sheila_Jay
Currently Reading: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Sheila_Jay » 15 Sep 2019, 03:48

I am passionate about real estate and that drew me to this review. I would love to read this book because I believe it will go a long way in helping me to expand my knowledge on the real estate industry. Many thanks for the wonderful review.

Nkoo
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkoo.html
Latest Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Post by Nkoo » 15 Sep 2019, 14:41

I always am interested whenever I come across real estate investment books and topics. This one is a sure-read for me. Thank you!

Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Meg98 » 15 Sep 2019, 22:40

This seems like an interesting and unique read. It would be very beneficial for people in the real-estate world, but I'm not sure if it's for me. Thanks for this great review! Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”