Official Review: The mechanism by Alan Whitworth

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 86
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Last Bush Pilots
Bookshelf Size: 269
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Jane's War by Ann Carlisle

Official Review: The mechanism by Alan Whitworth

Post by kdstrack » 24 Aug 2019, 09:41

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The mechanism" by Alan Whitworth.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Mechanism: A Powerful Method to Turn Good Addictions On And Bad Addictions Off by Alan Whitworth is a nonfiction book written for people who struggle with different kinds of addictive behavior.

The author began by sharing his own story and how he became addicted to alcohol and meth-amphetamines. A troubled childhood exposed him to marijuana at a young age. His hero, his frequently jailed older brother, drank and smoked marijuana with him. From smoking joints, he graduated to swallowing meth-amphetamines. His meth consumption caused him to lose his three vehicles, his employment, and his wife. After getting off meth, he switched to alcohol consumption, a more socially accepted addiction.

After a thorough discussion of his struggle with different substances, the author described his attempts to attend various rehab programs to overcome his addictions. His opinion is that these programs, including Alcoholics Anonymous, encourage the addict to maintain a level of hopelessness. He clarified the difference between addictions and disease. We must use the correct vocabulary to stress the seriousness of substance abuse. Allowing addicts to believe their cravings are beyond their control permits them to use their dependency as an excuse to shirk personal responsibility for the addiction.

I enjoyed the author’s inclusion of other behaviors under the umbrella of addictions. Besides drugs and alcohol, he included sugar addiction, gossip, cursing, gambling, and thought control. The mechanism presented by the author involved personal commitment and discipline. This mechanism is not for people hoping for an easy solution to overcoming an addiction. It requires taking personal responsibility for your life and digging inside yourself to fight the urges that propel you towards your particular compulsion.

The author gave a brief description of the seven steps that comprise the mechanism. He credited Dean Graziosi and his book, Millionaire Success Habits, as the catalyst for developing this mechanism. I would have liked a more thorough explanation of the mechanism. The author did enumerate the seven steps of the tool and gave an example of how it works. I had to reread the seven steps because it went by so fast that I didn’t realize that this was the whole mechanism! The example he gave from his own life was helpful, but I would have liked a more detailed explanation of the different steps. That said, the mechanism itself is easy to apply to any behavior the person wishes to overcome.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The author did an excellent job of building up to the explanation of the mechanism. His personal experiences and triumphs over addiction give readers hope and encouragement that dependencies can be conquered. Misspelled words and run-on sentences made me take off one point from the score. This short book of only 92 pages would be beneficial for people who struggle with a wide range of addictions. The author offers this mechanism to propel you to a productive and successful life.

The mechanism
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 40

Post by Nizar Ali Shah » 27 Aug 2019, 13:18

"The Mechanism" by Alan Whitworth. This is a non fiction book written for people who struggle with different kinds of addictive behavior.The author did every kind of addictions which led him towards helplessness.Then he tried to switch over to rehab programs to overcome addictions.
This is his personal experience which he presents in seven steps and gives his mechanism of how to get rid of addictions.His self confidence gives the readers hope and encouragement and as a result dependencies can be conquered and he succeeded in his mission.This brief book is greatly helpful for those who struggle with a diverse range of addictions.He further says that your success lies in your personal commitment and discipline.Readers should go through this book get real lesson out of it and be optimistic and conquer difficulties and addictive things in your daily life to make your life successful as the author suggests.

esp1975
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Spellbound by Julia Goldhirsh

Post by esp1975 » 27 Aug 2019, 18:04

I don't know that I would agree with all the author's conclusions, but I do know that programs like AA do not work for everyone. So having more tools available for people struggling with addiction is always good.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 67
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Hidden Pearl by J.E. Laufer

Post by kandscreeley » 27 Aug 2019, 19:31

Addiction is so prevalent these days that we need more books on them. I'm glad the author shared what helped him, and I hope it helps others. As for me, I don't think it's a book I'll be reading. Thanks!
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack » 27 Aug 2019, 22:55

Nizar Ali Shah wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 13:18
"The Mechanism" by Alan Whitworth. This is a non fiction book written for people who struggle with different kinds of addictive behavior.The author did every kind of addictions which led him towards helplessness.Then he tried to switch over to rehab programs to overcome addictions.
This is his personal experience which he presents in seven steps and gives his mechanism of how to get rid of addictions.His self confidence gives the readers hope and encouragement and as a result dependencies can be conquered and he succeeded in his mission.This brief book is greatly helpful for those who struggle with a diverse range of addictions.He further says that your success lies in your personal commitment and discipline.Readers should go through this book get real lesson out of it and be optimistic and conquer difficulties and addictive things in your daily life to make your life successful as the author suggests.
Thanks for stopping by and reading the review. I hope you will have a chance to read the book and see if you agree with the author's suggestions!

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack » 27 Aug 2019, 22:57

esp1975 wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 18:04
I don't know that I would agree with all the author's conclusions, but I do know that programs like AA do not work for everyone. So having more tools available for people struggling with addiction is always good.
I agree that these programs are not for everyone. The author's personal experience influenced his opinions and the development of the mechanism. I think he wanted to offer people another option for any addictive behavior they might be struggling with in their life. Thanks for commenting!

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack » 27 Aug 2019, 23:17

kandscreeley wrote:
27 Aug 2019, 19:31
Addiction is so prevalent these days that we need more books on them. I'm glad the author shared what helped him, and I hope it helps others. As for me, I don't think it's a book I'll be reading. Thanks!
I liked that the mechanism he offered can be applied to any addiction. It was helpful to read about how he overcame some very serious addictions in his personal life by using this mechanism. I found it encouraging, and as you pointed out, hopefully his book will be a big help to others also. Thanks so much for commenting!

Radiant3
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Queen of Xana
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Radiant3 » 28 Aug 2019, 16:37

I'm glad the author shared his experience and what worked for him. It should be insightful to read about his approach to overcoming addiction. Thank you for the great review.

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack » 28 Aug 2019, 19:30

Radiant3 wrote:
28 Aug 2019, 16:37
I'm glad the author shared his experience and what worked for him. It should be insightful to read about his approach to overcoming addiction. Thank you for the great review.
This story is inspirational since the author struggled with addictions for most of his life. The mechanism that he developed has worked for him and he offers it to others to help them with their addiction struggles. I hope you enjoy the book. Thanks for commenting!

gen_g
Currently Reading: The Gods and the Game Changer
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Success! by Anne Elizabeth Nixon

Post by gen_g » 29 Aug 2019, 22:11

This sounds like a good book for those who want to learn more about addiction. Still, it would be good for the book to be run through a few rounds of editing to eliminate all those grammar errors. Thanks for the review.

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack » 29 Aug 2019, 23:04

gen_g wrote:
29 Aug 2019, 22:11
This sounds like a good book for those who want to learn more about addiction. Still, it would be good for the book to be run through a few rounds of editing to eliminate all those grammar errors. Thanks for the review.
I agree with both of your points! The author's inclusion of other addictive behaviors was very encouraging. Many people could find hope for conquering their addiction by reading and practicing this mechanism as described in the book. Thanks for your comments!

Wanjugush
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Favorite Book: Becoming
Currently Reading: Finding A Job in Tough Times
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjugush.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by Wanjugush » 31 Aug 2019, 12:26

With the author narrating his experience, the book can be more relatable to people struggling with various addictions. Awesome review.

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack » 31 Aug 2019, 20:12

Wanjugush wrote:
31 Aug 2019, 12:26
With the author narrating his experience, the book can be more relatable to people struggling with various addictions. Awesome review.
I agree. His personal story was quite powerful: The struggle with substance abuse and how he was able to overcome the addictions. Hopefully this will encourage other people who struggle. Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your comments!

Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 72
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 158
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 573
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Anna by Colm Herron
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina » 03 Sep 2019, 04:27

I found it funny (unless I'm the object, that is) that gossip can be addicting, too. That would spike up the statistics for addicts, LOL! I hope many will find the mechanism helpful in conquering their "thorns in the flesh."
Latest Review: Anna by Colm Herron

kdstrack

Post by kdstrack » 03 Sep 2019, 07:34

Miriam Molina wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 04:27
I found it funny (unless I'm the object, that is) that gossip can be addicting, too. That would spike up the statistics for addicts, LOL! I hope many will find the mechanism helpful in conquering their "thorns in the flesh."
It seems quite insightful that control of the tongue (not only for eating) would be included under the addiction theme. It seems to be a companion of the ability to take control of your thoughts. I admired his courage at including these in the list. After all, the first step is to get people to ADMIT that this is a problem and to start believing that it is not a disease, but it is a habit they can work at changing. The book does not promise that it will disappear if you try the mechanism "three times!" Thanks for stopping by!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”