Review by L Augusteen -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
L Augusteen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-augusteen.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by L Augusteen -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by L Augusteen » 24 Aug 2019, 09:23

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Others around you are hurting just as much as you. Focus on enduring the pain until the pace slows. The effort will get easier soon.”

Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands is not only an autobiographical of Jorge P. Newbery, but it is also a wake-up call for my reflection and improvement. I always keep myself as an open-minded person, yet this book surprises me that there is a person who loves to work and passionate about it. It feels like Newbery is born into it.

At the beginning of this book, Newbery tells us about his experience as a paperboy. He was so determined to do his job, even though his job was only as a paperboy. Then as time goes by, when he already mastered as a paperboy, he became interested in ice cream business. In the first chapter, when he was young, he already knew what to do to his products, the ice creams. It is funny because he said, “Keeping the ice cream cold was a higher priority to me than my dad’s driving record.” Then, when he already bored to be an ice cream vendor, he became many things; record company owner, olympian bike racer, then he was into real estate industry.

What I like the most about this book is because it has so many values. It teaches me what to do when life gets hard, and we are down. Newbery shares his anthem whenever he feels down; it is “I’m Not Down” by The Clash. It also teaches me what kind of life that punk people have. He tells us that punk people is a kind of people that similar to him, it is a kind of people that feels like a society’s outcast, while they are not. They have a life, an exciting experience.

“My punk friends felt like society’s outcasts… All my life, I had been a loner and felt like I did not fit in; however, now I sensed that I somehow belonged.”

This book that is published in 2015 by Community Books LLC is flawless. It has engaging and funny storytelling. Also, I didn’t find any grammatical error or typo. I am giving this book 4 out of 4 stars because I find it is easy to read as I cannot stop to read it. Furthermore, the author’s knowledge is so quite exciting, and he also shares his practical experience.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”