Official Review: Learning to trust yourself

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Pearl in the Sand
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Learning to trust yourself

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Learning to trust yourself" by Lisa Flannigan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Learning to Trust Yourself by Lisa Flannigan is a series of short messages meant to encourage and inspire anyone dealing with the difficulties of life. These challenges can be physical or mental; the messages still apply. There are 100 short motivations contained in the book.

This book would work well to read on a daily basis as an inspirational start to your day. It could be considered a secular (or spiritual and not religious) devotional. The subjects covered are varied. They range from positive self-talk to learning to like who you are. The reader is advised to get out into nature as well as to trust yourself. In the very first message, the author encourages the reader to "drink in those beautiful seconds of bliss that together create an enchanted life."

None of the topics discussed take up more than a page, and most can be read in 5 minutes or less. The messages would be great to meditate on or even journal about. If you print out the e-book or buy a print version, there would even be room around the edges of each page to take notes.

In reading through this book, I found several messages that really resonated with me. One such message was regarding others' struggles. It hurts to see people struggle, but we can't always help them. That's not our job. We are meant only to lead them to water; they must drink. The author states: "Although you may care deeply, you cannot rescue them because it is their life path, not yours."

The writing style was, surprisingly, quite poetic. Though I wouldn't describe these tidbits as poems, the descriptions were powerful and engaging. The author uses her words to evoke emotions in the reader in the same way that poetry does.

The book is positive and realistic, coming from a place of truth. The author is a therapist. Even more, though, she's struggled through her own darknesses. In my opinion, that's what makes the book powerful. Ms. Flannigan does state, however, that the book is not a substitute for proper treatment. It is merely meant to accompany and enhance the treatment. I thought this an important distinction to make because of the complex nature of these issues.

The book was exceptionally edited with no errors. For that reason and because it's applicable to so many, I give Learning to Trust Yourself 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone struggling. It would make a great gift for someone who is going through a dark time. People who are against self-help books might not like this one, but even they could use these self-affirming messages from time to time.

Learning to trust yourself
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Ozone Therapy for the Treatment of Viruses by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I like books with such positive tones. Sometimes, knowing that someone else has fought and won the battle you are fighting is all the push you need to keep going. Thanks for your review, it's very detailed and enjoyable.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Michelle Fred wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 01:57 I like books with such positive tones. Sometimes, knowing that someone else has fought and won the battle you are fighting is all the push you need to keep going. Thanks for your review, it's very detailed and enjoyable.
I agree. Sometimes you need that push by someone who's been there. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
prince-udong
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by prince-udong »

I strongly believe that, One of the saddest thing in life is inability to descend the priorities of live per time. And that is the reasons you see many people work on the street sometime hopelessly and homelessly. But I believe that, there is a time flame for every struggling, if we realized our mistake and look up to the sky, restructure our mind, certainly!! the pain will be over. Thanks for reviewing this book. I love book like this.
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

Thank you for your review. The way you describe the authors writing as poetic, makes this book of inspirational quotes interesting to me. I enjoy reading and trying to use self-motivational books. Since everyone has those dark times in life, it is great that books like these are written. And even better when they are written well. I would be interested in reading this book. Thank you again for an informative review. 😊😊
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

KDJ wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 10:49 Thank you for your review. The way you describe the authors writing as poetic, makes this book of inspirational quotes interesting to me. I enjoy reading and trying to use self-motivational books. Since everyone has those dark times in life, it is great that books like these are written. And even better when they are written well. I would be interested in reading this book. Thank you again for an informative review. 😊😊
I was fairly surprised at how poetic these were. Sometimes motivational writers overlook the power of words. It's a great one to read and savor. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

I believe that everyone is going through some sort of difficulty in life. I am glad that the author wrote this book to encourage people through the quick read messages. I would love to read the book because I am convinced that I will find a lot that relates to me. Thank you for the brilliant review.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Based on your insightful review, this sounds like a book I will enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

OuKoyoo wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 11:35 I believe that everyone is going through some sort of difficulty in life. I am glad that the author wrote this book to encourage people through the quick read messages. I would love to read the book because I am convinced that I will find a lot that relates to me. Thank you for the brilliant review.
It's an encouraging and motivational book. I highly encourage you to pick it up. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cecilia_L wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 13:34 Based on your insightful review, this sounds like a book I will enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation.
I hope you get a chance to read it. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I like the fact that the author is a trained therapist who speaks from her experiences as a professional as well as someone who also went through dark times. It seems general enough to apply to everyone, but not to the point where it's too vague; that's a tough balance to achieve. Thanks for the review!
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

It sounds like this is a positive read we all need. I like that book was also very realistic. Good job on the review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Tomah wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 15:22 I like the fact that the author is a trained therapist who speaks from her experiences as a professional as well as someone who also went through dark times. It seems general enough to apply to everyone, but not to the point where it's too vague; that's a tough balance to achieve. Thanks for the review!
Oh yes. And there are topics for everyone. If one doesn't apply to your, the next one probably will. Thanks for commenting!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 24 Aug 2019, 16:37 It sounds like this is a positive read we all need. I like that book was also very realistic. Good job on the review.
It is! I recommend it to everyone. Thanks for your support.
—Neil Gaiman
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

This book sounds like an exercise in mindfulness for each day, definitely something I want to check out. I struggle with the one you picked out though, that we can't always help because it's their life path. I get frustrated when it turns out that I can't, or they won't let me help. Thanks for your insights on the book!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”