Review by mac83 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mac83
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 365
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mac83.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Review by mac83 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by mac83 » 21 Aug 2019, 12:48

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands is a nonfiction book written by Jorge P. Newbery. The story is a timeline through the author's life and details the ups and downs he has gone through. When he makes references to burn zones, he talks about the obstacles he has had to face and what he does to overcome them. It is both a motivational and inspirational story.

The author, Jorge, gives the reader a vital look into his life and shows how he has always been the go-getter type. He started a paperboy route at the age of seven. He was dedicated to his work even at a young age. Any time anyone seemed to doubt what he was capable of doing, he proved he could do it and do even more. As he got older, he would set his sights on something new and go for it. He encountered many burn zones through his life and he gets through each one. Even when life put him into a great deal of debt and rumors in the paper about him being arrested, he continued to push through it all and come out the other side. We learn through the story about the support his family provided him through the years.

As someone who isn't big on nonfiction stories, I didn't know if I would be able to get into this book. Once I started to read it, I found I could not put it down. I believe those who enjoy motivational stories will find this book to be one they can't pass up. It is fitting for anyone who has struggled and wants to stay optimistic during times of trials. It might not appeal to people who don't like nonfiction, but knowing I enjoyed reading it, I would still suggest for anyone to give it a try.

There are many positive qualities in this book. The author has an upbeat writing style, which makes it easy to get absorbed into the story. I enjoyed the chronological aspect of the book as well. The author didn't jump back and forth. When he talked about his past, he went in order from his youngest experiences to his most recent one. All of his experiences were interesting to read about, especially how he helped so many people.

I rated this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is professionally edited. There are no spelling or grammatical errors. There are three instances of profane language, but it was in dialogue said to the author. The book is easy to follow and has an excellent flow. The author talks about his past without any confusion. It is clear to what time period he's speaking about and the events that occurred. The book is inspirational and the main character, the author, is easy to relate to. His personality shines through in the book. Overall, this is a wonderful book and I am glad I had the chance to read it.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mac :techie-reference:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”