Official Review: Worthy by Linda J. Willms Angle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 259
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: It's All About Something by Alexander A. Villarasa, M.D.

Official Review: Worthy by Linda J. Willms Angle

Post by Cecilia_L » 18 Aug 2019, 16:46

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Worthy" by Linda J. Willms Angle.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Linda J. Willms Angle was born in Germany and lived there until the age of nineteen. Since her father was American, she grew up speaking English but was only permitted to speak French to her mother. Angle thought her life was normal until she learned the family secret that she was adopted. Since that time, Angle felt a void and was on a quest for the truth. She learned about her parents, biological mother, and ultimately, herself.

Angle shares her story of perseverance, forgiveness, and eventually reuniting with her birth family in her inspirational memoir, Worthy: How Unconditional Love Brought My Life Full Circle.

This engaging memoir packs a lot of content into its 61 pages. Angle writes in a casual conversational tone, as she delves into issues associated with adoption, such as abandonment and feelings of unworthiness. She shares candidly about her close relationship with her American military father and conflicted relationship with her French mother. Angle reveals that her parents' extreme devotion to one another sometimes left her feeling displaced. However, by including the background history of her adoptive parents and biological mother, she writes from a place of compassion rather than as a victim.

Angle covered a wide range of emotions through the pages of her memoir. She spoke of her father in glowing terms, not only for his heroic military career but also regarding his treatment of her. She transparently conveyed the challenges of her complicated relationship with her mother. While Angle expressed her mother's shortcomings as a parent, she also shared the contributing hardships of her childhood. I appreciated that she balanced her understandable frustration with forgiveness and compassion. Regarding her birth mother, Anni, Angle wrote, "Giving me away must have been the hardest thing she ever did. She loved me unconditionally from the day I was born. I could see it in her eyes during each of our visits."

I particularly enjoyed Angle's detailed descriptions of some of her exciting and unusual experiences. For instance, her parents were friends with a famous entertainment manager in Monaco, and once when they visited, Angle met Princess Grace. In another example, she recounted a time at eighteen, when her mother took her out of school, and they took a train to Paris. During their mother-daughter trip, they visited the Eiffel Tower and Arc de Triomphe and bought matching mini-skirts during their Parisian shopping excursion.

I can't think of anything I dislike about this professionally edited book. I'm pleased to rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who enjoy inspirational memoirs. It will also appeal to adoptive parents and those who are adopted. It doesn't contain any profanity or sexual content.

Worthy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

kendallcurrier
Currently Reading: Infinite Jest
Bookshelf Size: 225
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendallcurrier.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by kendallcurrier » 03 Sep 2019, 00:04

This looks like a great read. Memoirs about family relationships really speak to me. I think the language dynamic is particularly interesting, having to speak French with her mother, being fluent in English because of her father, and presumably speaking German in public because of where she grew up. Thank you for your review! It's exceptional.

Trinity13
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Trinity13 » 03 Sep 2019, 03:02

Sighs of a little girl. She never hated the life that gave her unbearable trauma, identity crisis, at a young age. She took her worries to lessons. What a beautiful expression.

Bhaskins
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 75
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by Bhaskins » 03 Sep 2019, 07:41

I really like memoirs and this sounds like even though it’s a short read it’s worth it! Thank you!
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling

Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Beneath the Muscle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Rachel Lea » 03 Sep 2019, 10:10

There is something really special about reading memoirs because you know that the events actually did happen. This sounds like a great book to check out. Thanks for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 03 Sep 2019, 11:23

kendallcurrier wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 00:04
This looks like a great read. Memoirs about family relationships really speak to me. I think the language dynamic is particularly interesting, having to speak French with her mother, being fluent in English because of her father, and presumably speaking German in public because of where she grew up. Thank you for your review! It's exceptional.
I also found the language dynamics quite interesting. Thanks for your comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 03 Sep 2019, 11:24

Trinity13 wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 03:02
Sighs of a little girl. She never hated the life that gave her unbearable trauma, identity crisis, at a young age. She took her worries to lessons. What a beautiful expression.
Thanks for sharing.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 03 Sep 2019, 11:25

Bhaskins wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 07:41
I really like memoirs and this sounds like even though it’s a short read it’s worth it! Thank you!
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 03 Sep 2019, 11:25

Rachel Lea wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 10:10
There is something really special about reading memoirs because you know that the events actually did happen. This sounds like a great book to check out. Thanks for your review!
Thanks, Rachel.

Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Containment Breach by Wm. A. Yandell

Post by Miller56 » 03 Sep 2019, 11:59

I think that this book reflects the emotions of many individuals who find out they are adopted. We all have the need to belong. When we find out we are not who we thought we were, it is devastating and requires a lot of soul searching. I think this is a book I will read in the future.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 03 Sep 2019, 14:13

Miller56 wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 11:59
I think that this book reflects the emotions of many individuals who find out they are adopted. We all have the need to belong. When we find out we are not who we thought we were, it is devastating and requires a lot of soul searching. I think this is a book I will read in the future.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Laila_Hashem
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 122
Currently Reading: Marbles
Bookshelf Size: 221
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Laila_Hashem » 03 Sep 2019, 15:36

I have always loved books that discuss struggles and serious issues, but have a light-hearted tone nonetheless, making me relate to it more. Thanks for the great review!

Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Helene_2008 » 04 Sep 2019, 14:07

I don't know much about adoption but sounds like a nice short read to learn a little about it. Im glad to hear she had a good relationship with at least one of her adoptive parents!

Aniza Butt
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 14
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: The School by Robert Davis

Post by Aniza Butt » 05 Sep 2019, 11:57

I am curious why Angle's biological mother gave her away?
A very insightful review by the way :tiphat:
"A Day May Come When The Courage of Men Fails.....
But It is Not This Day..This Day We FIGHT!!!"
~Aragorn~

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 06 Sep 2019, 12:21

Laila_Hashem wrote:
03 Sep 2019, 15:36
I have always loved books that discuss struggles and serious issues, but have a light-hearted tone nonetheless, making me relate to it more. Thanks for the great review!
I appreciate the type of balance you described, too. Thanks for your comment.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”