Official Review: New Stories We Tell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Official Review: New Stories We Tell

Post by Renu G »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "New Stories We Tell" by Kaylen Ralph and Joanna Demkiewicz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

New Stories We Tell is a collection of true stories written by American women journalists. It is edited by Kaylen Ralph and Joanna Demkiewicz. Many of the authors are young, and the articles have been published in magazines, especially in New York and California. They are exceptional examples of long-form journalism, and several of the writers have won awards. The salient feature of this genre is that the literary style of novels is used for writing nonfiction. Of course, not every person who reads this book will like every piece. It depends on their interests and preferences.

Most of the articles are informative and were published during the last four years. I was previously unaware of some of the issues raised by the authors. My favorite is “The Takeover” by Rachael Aviv. First published in The New Yorker, it describes the enigma of how representatives of a government can cheat the aged under the guise of guardianship. I found it unbelievable. It has conscientized and alerted me about similar injustices happening around me.

In another article, the cultural differences between North and South Korea, described by Ann Babe, came as a surprise. The piece about a lifestyle website seemed weird. A few critiques expose racism and segregation. Feminist issues like gender discrimination and campus rape are also highlighted. Brooke Jarvis’ write-up “Unclaimed” moved me to tears. It was about an immigrant (in a persistent vegetative state) who was looked after for more than a decade and reunited with his family. Topics such as sports, comedy, and teen vaping are included. A report on the investigation of a baby’s death is very intriguing. I did not like the story dealing with home abortions by women. Three siblings supporting the Islamic State was another tale that terrified me. It raised several questions about the religious upbringing of children and teenagers.

It is a known fact that men dominate the world of nonfiction. As far as I’m aware, women writers tend to focus on feminist issues. This book is different because it brings together the excellent contributions of women journalists on varied topics. I appreciate how the editors celebrate the differences between the writing styles of authors from varied backgrounds. Every story begins with a short biographical account by the writer that helps you to understand the underlying passion and focus of her journalism. This is a praiseworthy aspect of the structure of New Stories We Tell. The “Editor’s Note” reveals the need to promote the work of women in this field and is thought-provoking.

New Stories We Tell seems to have been professionally formatted and edited. I found a few typos that were not distracting. People who like to read inspiring writings on social issues will enjoy it. It may also appeal to journalists, educationists, and social workers, especially women. I am happy to award this anthology a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I did not give it a lower rating because of its excellence and innovative concept in the field of journalism. Some of the stories are still lingering in my mind after reading the entire book.

New Stories We Tell
View: on Bookshelves
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

This one seems like it might have enough of a variety to entice a wide range of nonfiction readers. Great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Any work that sheds a light on the efforts of women usually gets my attention. I'm glad this book was well-edited. I'll keep my eye on it. Great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It seems that these have great topics worth reading about. I'm definitely curious as to how they are presented. I'll put this on my list to read. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

This sounds like a very interesting book. It is encouraging that it is a book by women. Thanks for the very detailed review.
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

I'd love to read some of these loves and learn about new issues like you did. Sounds like a good nonfiction read. Thanks for the review!
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I love long form journalism. This book sounds like a great compilation from some of the female journalists working on this now.
Ben Moore
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: The Diary of Samuel Pepys, Vol. 1
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-moore.html
Latest Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Ben Moore »

This sounds stunning! It’s a shame that men do basically dominate but thank goodness there are some people out there trying to change it!
'All bad poetry springs from genuine feeling' - Oscar Wilde
'Am reading more Oscar Wilde. What a tiresome, affected sod' - Noël Coward
Laila Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Laila Hashem »

Lots of books that are aimed at empowering women are too extreme from my perspective, but this actually sounds like an amazing read. thanks for the great review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”