Review by Dee_218 -- Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Review by Dee_218 -- Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by Dee_218 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Empowered" by Dominica Lumazar.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Empowered: The Business Owner's Guide to Success is a quasi autobiography. The author introduces her book by mentioning her early struggles. She addresses that the way she learned as a kid caused teachers to tell her she would never amount to University. The author highlights the flaws in the schooling system that are definitely seen and experienced by many. She was a slow learner who needed to learn skills on how to develop her memory. After an accident just before college, the author makes the toughest decision that will change her life.

Dominica Lumazar tells her story without forcing her ideas on to the reader. Her story is told in a fast-paced manner and is interwoven with her guide to success. Dominica has a strong voice and is determined to get the message across. The book is separated into parts. Part 1 is themed "Leading for Success", part 2 is themed "Business Value", part 3 is themed "Business Clarity". Each topic has a sub-topic of its own which made the novel flow in a logical sense. Each topic is accompanied by a relevant quote. At the conclusion of the topic is a website link to follow for more tools to help the reader.

Considering her successes, the author was very smart in her business ventures. She is clearly still relevant and helps many businesses grow. Her tone is encouraging and positive. I did feel that her tone would sometimes be condescending to her previous bosses. For example, when she got fired for being a "good employee" at a restaurant and actually doing her job right she looked back to her employer and uttered the words "thank you". She soon reveals that the restaurant went out of business a year after she got fired. I felt that the author showed herself as quintessential. The more other similar instances appeared, the more the overall tone of the book was compromised.

What struck me the most was the useful tools and vocabulary the author provided for an everyday leader. For example, with leadership, she said the types of leaders that exist are 'structural leaders', 'servant-leaders', 'participative leaders' which stood out because I have traits of all these leader types. In relation to marketing, she also gives some insight to be used by the modern-day marketer. For example, she says a "color is a tool that gets your audience to see what you want them to see, feel what you want them to feel, and do what you want them to do" and gives insights on the powerful impact on buyer decision that color has. My favorite quote was the one by Zi Ziglar “You were born to win, but to be a winner, you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” The quote sums up the author's desires for the reader.

The book was professionally edited with no profanity. The narration of the stories is timed well. This book is fast-paced and can be easily read within a day and the reader can note down striking pointers for his/her journey to success. The book can be read by anyone who is keen on leadership, is or wants to be an entrepreneur/business-man/woman. Any reader who enjoys self-help guides can indulge. I give the book a 4 out of 4.

Empowered
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 205
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by InStoree »

I agree that there are many cases in which children are demoralized by teachers. I am glad that the author has found the power to overcome these deadly criticisms and achieve success. It sounds like a motivational book, which honestly, it wouldn't be first on my list. However, thank you for your descriptive and wonderful review! I enjoy reading it.
Keep It Stupid Simple!

Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

True.
Thank you Instoree for popping by and commenting.

Smrithy
Currently Reading: Daffodils
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smrithy.html
Latest Review: Enif by Russ Berg

Post by Smrithy »

Though self- help books are not my cup of tea, I loved the review.
Latest Review: Enif by Russ Berg

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 69
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: The Killing of Faith by William Holms

Post by Prisallen »

This does sound like a very inspirational story with information on what a person needs to do in order to succeed in life. I don't think it is for me. Thank you for a wonderful review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”