Official Review: The Amazing Life of Johnny Saint Gold

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Official Review: The Amazing Life of Johnny Saint Gold

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Amazing Life of Johnny Saint Gold" by Robert Santoro.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Amazing Life of Johnny Saint Gold, by Robert Santoro, follows the life journey of the author's father, Johnny, who was from Avellino, Italy. It all started in the late 1800s when, being a farm boy and at the age of nine, Johnny was captured by the Italian militia to perform noncombative supportive duties. Afterwards, he followed the Italian military's voyage to Africa. On arrival, he discovered that they were about to fight a battle (the Battle of Adwa). He escaped from the battlefield, and later on met three young soldiers who convinced him to flee from the army. He and his new friends deserted from the military, and with help from his friends, he embarked on a voyage to America. Eventually, he arrived in America, another strange place to him. He was still a child. How did he survive?

The book unveils Johnny's exceptional experiences during his childhood and throughout his adult life. It shows the challenges he faced and how he overcame them. In summary, it's a story of bravery, courage, grief, loyalty, family, and friendship. Robert, as Johnny's youngest son, presents most of the events and characters exactly as his father described them and the rest from his own memories. The book is about the life and death of a man who defied the odds at so many points in his life. Johnny was a good man, and he valued his family and friends. The story highlights a lot about his job, marriage, children, and business.

This is an interesting and inspiring book. Though it's non-fiction, it's written like a fictional book; it contains only the story, no commentary. As I was reading, at one point, I had to double-check to make sure the genre was non-fiction. It's a page-turner; every page got me more curious. It's full of intriguing action. In addition, the characters are relatable. The author provides enough information about the major and minor characters to enable readers to easily connect with the story. Most of them are memorable, and they depict strength.

In later years, Johnny had surgery several times, and there are some very touching moments in the book. Readers who are very emotional may not want to read it. Furthermore, even though it was well organized and edited, I found some grammar flaws, especially missing commas. The frequency of the omitted commas made me guess that it was the author's style, but that feature made me reread a lot of sentences for better understanding. Anyway, I still followed the story and enjoyed reading it.

Finally, in spite of the above-mentioned errors, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars because it's entertaining and motivational. It's a worthwhile and captivating read. I recommend it to anyone who is seeking an engaging and a well-narrated biography to read.

The Amazing Life of Johnny Saint Gold
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
essyallan7475
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-essyallan7475.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone

Post by essyallan7475 »

A great review. Johnny had a difficult life. He faced a lot of obstacles to become the person he was. I liked the plot of the story
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

I love non-fiction books, and since this one belongs to that genre and at the same time is inspiring too; I would love to read it. Thank you for the review.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

This sounds like a fascinating story, one I want to read. Many thanks for your great review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Johnny's story sounds intriguing. Writing the story as fiction makes an autobiography quite appealing. Thanks for presenting this book.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

The Amazing Life of Johnny Saint Gold seems to be a very interesting read that brings up a lot to think about. Your review is great as always, Rosemary Wright. Good job.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

I can't imagine how the author's father survived all that you described in his childhood. Also I'm glad to hear it read like a fiction book. Sounds like an enjoyable read.
Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 148

Post by Nizar Ali Shah »

The Amazing Life of Johnny Saint Gold by Robert Santoro.Robert the youngest son of Johnny is the author of the book, who has nicely written it and has brought to light the difficulties of Johhny who faced a series of difficulties during his childhood and as an adult.Johhny is really a brave man with dogged courage, who despite his young age made many friends in the army as well out side of his job.These friends encouraged him to escape and this was because of his friends that he managed to voyage to America and even America was a strange country to him.This book is a real story of Johhny's bravery, courage , loyalty, friendship all these have played a great role.This is a wonderful and captivating book for all who believe in constant work and success and never lose heart in the face of difficulties
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

LinaMueller wrote: 13 Aug 2019, 12:56 The Amazing Life of Johnny Saint Gold seems to be a very interesting read that brings up a lot to think about. Your review is great as always, Rosemary Wright. Good job.
Thanks LinaMueller for your nice comment and always reading my reviews. That's very encouraging.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”