Official Review: Wild Path to the Sacred Heart

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bluebird03
2019 Reading Goal: 65
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 181
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Dreamers Refuse to be Victims by Milan "Lou" Voticky

Official Review: Wild Path to the Sacred Heart

Post by Bluebird03 » 09 Aug 2019, 20:31

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wild Path to the Sacred Heart" by Ellen Dee Davidson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wild Path to the Sacred Heart is a story of one woman’s journey to discovering her unique talent and contribution to Mother Earth. The author was instructed by her meditation Lama to “find the juice.” But where would would she find this juice? A self-described introvert that finds her energy in solitude, Davidson began venturing into the woods.

Embracing the woodlands and redwoods of California, Davidson would often visit parks and take the less-traveled paths to the trees that she loved. On her frequent forest visits, she often encountered some of it wilder life, such as owls, a bald eagle, elk, otters, lions, and bears. Channeling Lady Galadriel of Tolkien’s world, Davidson would sit beneath particular trees in her private realm and draw inspiration from them. At times the trees would speak to her (often through Grandmother-in-the-Tree), present her with visions, or just embrace her while she meditated or cried. The author breaks her book out into three parts. Part one is titled “Off to the Woods,” part two is “Guidance from the Trees,” and the final portion is “Connecting with Others.”

I chose this book because I, too, have always been enchanted by forests and trees. I loved that Davidson describes her trees and surrounding forests with such vivid visual imagery. She effortlessly transports readers to her favorite areas where they can imagine sitting with her, nestled up against one of her unique trees.

Additionally, I loved that the author included the concept of “Shinrin Yoku”- which is Japanese for forest bathing. According to Davidson, she credits this simple act of spending time among the trees with helping her sleep, improving her complexion, and even the source of her thicker and glossier hair. She also lists two resources that tout the benefits of forest bathing. In fact, throughout this 277-page book, the author references numerous studies to back up some of her points. Additionally, she includes a section at the end of her book, which offers more information about each of these studies. I appreciated that she referenced these studies, thus adding further credibility to her work.

Also, I appreciated that I did not find a single error or find anything to dislike about this story. Therefore, I award Wild Path to the Sacred Heart by Ellen Dee Davidson 4 out of 4 stars. Readers like me who are naturally drawn to forests and trees will love Davidson’s enchanting story. Readers who are concerned with our environment and are wondering what they can personally do to care for it will also enjoy reading this book. Davidson chose to join Tree Sisters- a charity with groves of women throughout the world who plant trees and encourage reforestation. She feels so passionately about this charity that she states she will donate a portion of the royalties from this book to the Tree Sisters.

Readers who are looking for a strong plot or suspense will not find it here. However, I do think there is something within these pages for everyone, and I urge readers to give it at least a chance. As Cali White pens in the Foreword, “Ellen’s book calls us home to the trees.”

Wild Path to the Sacred Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 249
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Are You Jesus? by Joshua A McClure

Post by Cecilia_L » 10 Aug 2019, 11:57

I imagine this would be a relaxing book to read, and I enjoyed your engaging review.

Wambui-nj
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 51
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj » 10 Aug 2019, 12:58

This is a book I would relate with going by your review. I'm an introvert and loves nature :D . Great review.

Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 » 10 Aug 2019, 20:24

Cecilia_L wrote:
10 Aug 2019, 11:57
I imagine this would be a relaxing book to read, and I enjoyed your engaging review.
It was very relaxing- and inspiring. Thank you for your comments, Cecilia! :)

Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 » 10 Aug 2019, 20:29

Wambui-nj wrote:
10 Aug 2019, 12:58
This is a book I would relate with going by your review. I'm an introvert and loves nature :D . Great review.
Another introvert who enjoys nature? Welcome to our club, friend! Thank you so much for reading my review and commenting. :)

maggi3
2018 Reading Goal: 53
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: Out for Good
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Post by maggi3 » 10 Aug 2019, 22:12

I’ve never heard of forest bathing before, but it’s very intriguing. I love the author’s passion for the environment as well. I’ll have to try this one out. Thanks for the review!

Everydayadventure15
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Favorite Book: Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer Trilogy, #1)
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-everydayadventure15.html
Latest Review: Dragon Born by Ela Lourenco

Post by Everydayadventure15 » 11 Aug 2019, 06:09

I'm drawn to trees and the outdoors and it's nice to find a book with a relaxing pace. The forest bathing actually makes a lot of sense because taking a break from screens and stress by going outside for a walk really does help with sleep and we all need a little sunlight & fresh air too!

Dr D
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B07QCCW5KB

Post by Dr D » 11 Aug 2019, 06:25

It feels like a walkthrough into the nature from our busy life in cemented forests.

Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Tomah » 11 Aug 2019, 13:00

This isn't the sort of book I would usually be interested in, but I'm intrigued by the research backing the benefits of spending time in the woods. Thanks for the review!

Wriley
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 15
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Wriley » 11 Aug 2019, 20:09

Quite interesting since I've spend much time in forest, many times alone. I have a degree in Environmental biology and focused on plants in graduate school in particular the Eastern Hemlock. I spend many hours taking tree measurements and other growth indicators in the forest alone and found that I was most relaxed surrounded by trees though I grew up surrounded by a national forest and should realized that long before. I was a lover of forst ecology from a young age. I'm more of a conservation ecologist though so I do believe humans should be able to use a forest. I've yet to have a tree give me visions. That's a little beyond me but I have spent many hours just sitting beneath a tree and it does clear the mind.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein

essyallan7475
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by essyallan7475 » 11 Aug 2019, 20:57

A great review. I love nature. A very relaxing and inspiring book. I would definitely read

Nivi Gideon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn

Post by Nivi Gideon » 12 Aug 2019, 05:27

Loved the review! Your writing style is commendable!

OuKoyoo
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo » 12 Aug 2019, 06:49

A wonderful review. I love nature but not when reading it in a book. Thank you for the review.

Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 » 13 Aug 2019, 13:37

maggi3 wrote:
10 Aug 2019, 22:12
I’ve never heard of forest bathing before, but it’s very intriguing. I love the author’s passion for the environment as well. I’ll have to try this one out. Thanks for the review!
I had heard the term several months ago and loved the concept! It's something I practice often. Hope that you do get the chance to read this one. Thanks so much for stopping by and for your comments! :)

Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 » 13 Aug 2019, 13:41

Everydayadventure15 wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 06:09
I'm drawn to trees and the outdoors and it's nice to find a book with a relaxing pace. The forest bathing actually makes a lot of sense because taking a break from screens and stress by going outside for a walk really does help with sleep and we all need a little sunlight & fresh air too!
I think you are spot on with your observations and that you would really enjoy her story. Thanks so much for reading my review and for your very insightful comments! :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”