Review by B Creech -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Review by B Creech -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Brenda Creech »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newbery is a touching and inspirational memoir about the author's high's and low's in business and in life. Newbery shares his childhood, career choices, success, and failures candidly.

Newbery got his first job as a paperboy at the age of seven and started his first business at age eleven. As a young adult, he began buying real estate, primarily apartment complexes in need of repair and located in the more impoverished areas of cities. He would renovate the complexes to make living conditions better for the residents. Newbery rose to the top as a real estate mogul owning over 4,000 apartments in various cities across the country until tragedy struck in the form of a significant ice storm. There was substantial damage to his largest apartment complex in Columbus, Ohio. Despite trying to renovate the property, the destruction was too considerable, and he lost everything he had worked hard for all his life, including his reputation. His sudden fall from success due to one natural disaster left him 26 million dollars in debt. Throughout his life, Newbery looked at each challenge and business adventure as entering a "burn zone" (a term used by athletes for the most physically challenging part of a competition). This time the author knew he was facing the most difficult "burn zone" of his life.

I like Newberry's writing style. It is conversational and easy to understand, and the story flows smoothly from page to page. He has the talent to vividly describe situations in a way that allows the reader to visualize what he is describing. He also adds subtle humor throughout his narrative, which I enjoyed. I found myself tearing up as the author described his wedding, and again when his father passed away. I believe one mark of a great author is to be able to elicit the reader's emotions. I must say I went through a myriad of emotions as I read this book.

What I liked most was the author's relationship and interactions with his father. Especially his father's persistence in calling him "Jorgie" and Newbery's immediate correction of "It's Jorge, dad," to which his dad would ignore. I also enjoyed the pictures of family and friends included in the book.

I can't think of anything I did not like about this book. It appears professionally edited as I did not notice any errors. There was some scattered profanity, however, not enough to be overly offensive to most readers. Therefore, I gladly give Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery 4 out of 4 stars.

I would recommend this book to anyone seeking the courage to start their own business as well as to those who enjoy reading memoirs. Young adults just starting in life could greatly benefit from the determination and perseverance of the author.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
AvocaDebo621
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The book is a simple narrative of the author’s life and his experience, rather than a preachy “how-to guide” to instant success. Loved reading it. I really enjoyed your review. 😊
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I liked that you mentioned the author's relationship with his father. I thought it showed a lot about the character of Jorge.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”