Official Review: Gods and Other Odd Creatures

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Momiji1987
2019 Reading Goal: 300
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 6
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 191
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 370
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momiji1987.html
Latest Review: Pages in my life by Albrishia lyons
fav_author_id: 64963

Official Review: Gods and Other Odd Creatures

Post by Momiji1987 » 08 Aug 2019, 22:11

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gods and Other Odd Creatures" by Rose Williams.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Gods and Other Odd Creatures written by Rose Williams and illustrated by James Hillyer Estes, is a humorous retelling of the Greek and Roman stories surrounding deities of ancient times. In addition to the gods’ amusing, garish, and sometimes vengeful exploits, Williams provides a plethora of information about the temples, rituals, and culture of the period, historical wars, and even a phrase or two of Latin.

This book was a delight to read. Williams’s writing style brings new life to these ancient tales and puts a modern perspective on them. Her witty retellings of Zeus’s trysts, Aphrodite’s jealousy and various other legends of gods and mortals, are full of hilarious irony. I found Williams to be highly adept at entertaining her readers while also educating them.

I can see this book being especially beneficial to college students and maybe even some students in high school. Williams organizes the book into easy to read sections, starting with the twelve Greek gods and their stories, and pairing them with each of their Roman counterparts. For instance, she starts by telling the story of Poseidon, then follows up with a section on the Roman god, Neptune, making it clear where the two stories are similar and also where they diverge. This technique is valuable because students in need of knowing the difference between Greek and Roman mythology can find everything they desire in this short volume.

In addition to the twelve main gods, Williams also tells the stories of the various earth gods, monsters, and mortals and even has a section devoted to the rituals, culture, and temples of the gods. While I didn’t enjoy the section on temples as much as the mythology sections, the historical information was interesting and a few jokes were scattered throughout this part of the book too. Overall, if you need to study mythology, Greek and Roman history, and do so while enjoying the author’s ability to poke fun and expose illogical, sexist, and ludicrous drama, this book is for you.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The editing is professional, and I only found some minor typos here and there. The physical copy is lightweight and the illustrations look very attractive on the page. University professors could really engage their students with this book and students would love the humor and appreciate the brevity. The organization of the book makes it perfect for study and the entertainment factor makes it a must for everybody else.

Gods and Other Odd Creatures
View Book on Bookshelves | View Author's Website (roserwilliams.com) | View Book on Bolchazy

Intuitive Catalyst
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-intuitive-catalyst.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Intuitive Catalyst » 09 Aug 2019, 11:49

Greek mythology is a favourite subject. I cut my teeth on these gods goddesses and mythologies in adolescence. Cheers :)

Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Ellylion » 09 Aug 2019, 13:44

I love Greek mythology very much and would love to check this one out! :) Those stories re-told in a humorous manner must be something special. Thank you for a great review!

Wambui-nj
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 51
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj » 10 Aug 2019, 03:27

This is definitely a must read. Sounds like a thrilling book. Your review is thorough and well written.

Michelle Fred
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Michelle Fred » 10 Aug 2019, 05:48

I like that the book is entertaining and educative to boot. I'm interested in Greek mythology, and this book presents an opportunity for me to expand my knowledge. I appreciate your review.

LinaMueller
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by LinaMueller » 10 Aug 2019, 09:49

Thanks for reminding me I need to read this book, Momiji1987. I love everything related to Ancient Greece. Great review.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

Dragonsend
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 441
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Dragonsend » 10 Aug 2019, 19:38

You have convinced me to read this book, job well done, otherwise I might have passed though the title is catchy the cover isn't great. Thank you for the review.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:

DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by DD129 » 11 Aug 2019, 10:41

I love Greek mythology! This book is definitely one to look out for. It sounds very interesting and fun to read, especially the humorous stories centered around the gods themselves. Great review!

essyallan7475
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by essyallan7475 » 11 Aug 2019, 21:33

A gteat review. My big son loves greek mythology. After reading your review i see why it fascinates him. Will love read the book

esp1975
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by esp1975 » 13 Aug 2019, 17:55

I started reading Greek myths when I was in 4th grade. This sounds like a book that would very much appeal to me.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”