Review by Lee Mitau -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lee Mitau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lee-mitau.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Review by Lee Mitau -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Lee Mitau » 08 Aug 2019, 16:02

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Will treating others as we wish to be treated really elicit good? Is there such a thing as too much optimism? Are we pawns of fate or masters of our own destiny? This autobiographical work titled Burn zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newberry answers these questions and instills many more in the mind of the reader. The recounting of Mr. Newberry’s life is nothing short of truly inspirational with relevant themes for today’s life. Themes broached in this book are of race, police brutality, the struggles of minorities and success as a mindset.

Mr. Newberry’s (Jorgie as his father insisted on calling him) has pursued and conquered many things which seem close to impossible for the average individual, however his depiction of himself makes him seem average, in turn making his story becomes superbly relatable hence the inspiration. His, is not a story of an individual who since childhood was groomed to achieve success, he figured it out, making the readers feel they can too. Jorge achieved his incredible success through a euphemism of a burn zone, which in cycling is an obstacle which one must overcome, at this obstacle everyone suffers, and at this point those whose resolve, fitness and ability are greatest will blaze or sometimes stumble to the top for a win. So essentially the euphemism is that a burn zone is an extremely challenging period in business or life.

Jorge’s story begins with his background, as a son of an Argentine father and a British mother he fits into a minority group genetically and coupled with the unique cultures of this places, in the American suburbia his family came to be recognized or at least thought of as gypsies. It didn’t help much that during his teen years Jorge organized Punk rock shows, often accommodating band members in his home to the disdain of his neighbors. As is to be expected from the autobiography of a business tycoon there is a lot of knowledge and experience which Jorge calls upon to paint a more complete picture of his journey, and make it somewhat clear how the real-estate industry works. Through every major business transaction made, every acquisition, the feelings of fear and excitement are palpable. Jorge also touches upon feelings and situations which are very personal to him making him all the more endearing.

The book is organized chronologically from Jorge’s first job and early childhood to his first entrepreneurial ventures, and a 9 to 5 job, eventually building his real-estate roster and losing it. Amidst all this are burn zone situations which threaten, halt or sometimes stop his plans from reaching fruition, his way of approaching and solving this hurdles always lead to an accumulation of relevant knowledge.

There isn’t much to say as for mistakes in the book as it is well edited, however I felt that in some places the business jargon detracted from readers resonating with Jorge’s journey. I would also warn readers that where a few instances of strong(profane) language used mainly to contextualize the story, these occurrences are in no way paramount to the narrative.
Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Mr. Newberry’s story is exceptionally interesting and surprisingly inspirational and relatable without feeling like a cliché. Jorge did a wonderful thing in sharing his story with us on this platform and I am grateful for the life tips I have acquired. I would recommend this book for anyone interested in a non-fictional story which is interesting, motivational and inspirational. Other people who would likely enjoy this book are people trying to get a basic understanding on real estate and business strategies. If you happen to be at odds with life and need a push to achieve your goals this is a book for you.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”