Review by slbuchanan -- The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
slbuchanan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-slbuchanan.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by slbuchanan -- The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by slbuchanan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The MECE Muse" by Christie Lindor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The MECE Muse written by Christie Lindor is an informative manifesto on what it means to be a great consultant. MECE stands for "mutually exclusive and collectively exhaustive, words to live by if you want to excel in the consulting profession. Lindor divides consultants into three tiers: POS (point-of-sale), Roleplayer, and Great. She defines the types of consultants that exist and common consultant focus areas. She interviews an array of well-seasoned people in the industry and clears up common myths in the field. She discusses career destabilizers like impostor syndrome and FOMO and gives the reader actionable advice from her own experience as well as others.

I found many tidbits of information to be useful and clever in this book. Lindor refers to consultants as "business doctors". She also compares it to tofu at one point, which I found comical but it actually made a lot of sense. She says in the book she wanted it to have the voice of the mentor she wishes she had when she first began her consulting career and it shows. I honestly can't think of anything I disliked about this book, other than the interviews seemed a bit redundant towards the end. But even then, I appreciated how she highlighted the importance of manners, empathy, and connection through these interviews.

I give The MECE Muse a 4 out of 4 stars. It's obvious Lindor is an expert on the content and organizes the information in a way that is interesting and clear for the reader. She does an excellent job using bullet points and summarizing key points. I appreciate how she also uses personal anecdotes and quotes to put these points into perspective.

This book is obviously useful for those considering a career in consulting, but it is also useful for anyone who works in a business setting in general. Entrepreneurs and business owners or anyone with a career that requires networking and connections can learn from her insight. I know I did!

I only found three possible typos in the entire book. Otherwise, it was written immaculately. They weren't even spelling errors, just possible omitted letters and/or words that confused the language.

I truly admire how Christie Lindor was able to take the struggles she faced in her profession and use them to help future consultants excel in their career. It is truly a selfless act and is in alignment with her teaching in the book. The best way to get help is to give it, too. Thanks for a great read, Ms. Lindor!

The MECE Muse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”