Official Review: Our Nation's No.2, the Rising Influence ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Our Nation's No.2, the Rising Influence of America's Modern Vice Presidency by Charles Denyer

Official Review: Our Nation's No.2, the Rising Influence ...

Post by kislany » 06 Aug 2019, 04:08

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Our Nation's No.2, the Rising Influence of America's Modern Vice Presidency" by Charles Denyer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Our Nation's No.2, the Rising Influence of America's Modern Vice Presidency by Charles Denyer is an in-depth look at the lives and accomplishments of several American vice presidents over the years.

The biographical guide is broken into two main parts. The first part is a general overview with a peek at the early history of the vice presidency. Initially, the duties of vice presidents such as Harry S. Truman, Richard Nixon, Lyndon B. Johnson, Hubert Humphrey, Spiro Agnew, and Gerald Ford were rather inconsequential. Often, they were around just for PR purposes. Their living quarters were nowhere near the White House; sometimes, they were as far as in another city.

The second part is a comprehensive biography of many modern vice presidents, which helps us understand how these politicians came to enjoy the power and influence they wield today. It includes personalities like Walter Mondale, George H. W. Bush, Dan Quayle, Al Gore, Dick Cheney, Joe Biden, and Mike Pence. The author shows that American politics came a long way since those early days. After reading the book, if you were to compare side by side old-style vice presidents like Lyndon B. Johnson to modern-day ones like Dick Cheney, you'd be able to see the stark differences and highlight the relevance and significance of the vice presidents in America today.

The author noted that Vice President Walter Mondale was the first to live at the Naval Observatory. I enjoyed the chapter depicting the transformation of the Naval Observatory into the vice president's temporary home. It touches on the way each subsequent family modernized it, upgraded it, and made it into the welcoming abode it is today.

As a European that knows little about past vice presidents, I found it interesting to learn that Mondale was the one to change the vice presidency from the shadow it once was into a glorious, nationally and internationally relevant, and respected office.

There is a lot to learn from the book, and people following American politics will find it extremely useful. I have only become interested in the politics of America since the presidency of Barack Obama. He is a person most of us living in Europe look up to even today. I continued following American politics during the latest presidential elections when the unthinkable happened: Hillary Clinton lost the elections despite having almost 3 million more votes to her name. The phrase that stumped me was Electoral College, a term that doesn’t exist in Europe. Thus, I appreciated Charles Denyer explaining the meaning of the Electoral College, talking about its inception, growth, and even its controversy. This finally put things into perspective as to how someone with more votes could lose the elections.

Charles Denyer included many photos that captured some of the their more memorable moments sitting or standing next to presidents or giving talks around the country. I found that the addition of these photos made the book much more interactive and engaging with the reader.

The biography is written in a clear language that anyone with a good command of English can follow without problems. Despite the topic that some people might find to be dry, the book is not boring at all. It is professionally edited, as I found no major grammatical errors within the pages.

Thus, I give Our Nation's No.2, the Rising Influence of America's Modern Vice Presidency 4 out of 4 stars. It is accurate, comprehensive, and it shows the breadth and depth of the author’s research for this book. I appreciate that he personally interviewed former vice presidents along with people who worked directly with them during their terms. I can easily recommend this book to lovers of American politics and to those who enjoy reading straight, factual biographies of accomplished American personalities of old and new.

Our Nation's No.2, the Rising Influence of America's Modern Vice Presidency
View: on Bookshelves

essyallan7475
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by essyallan7475 » 11 Aug 2019, 20:35

A good review. I dont like political books. But this seems like a good story do will read it

OuKoyoo
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo » 12 Aug 2019, 06:03

Just like you, I became interested in the politics of the United States after Obama became the president. You did a wonderful review which has triggered my interest in reading the book. Thank you so much.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Last Bush Pilots
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Our Time Will Come by Jean Gallant Marcoux

Post by kdstrack » 12 Aug 2019, 21:59

The author speaks to an area of politics that we don't usually consider. This seems to be an informative treatment of an important office within the government. Thanks for all the details about this book. Great review!

esp1975
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by esp1975 » 13 Aug 2019, 18:08

I think it's interesting that this book really only deals with modern VPs and doesn't seem to talk about the office as it was originally created or how it was viewed prior to WWII. Still, it is interesting how the office has changed in the last 80 years.

Nizar Ali Shah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nizar Ali Shah » 15 Aug 2019, 04:35

Our Nation's No.2,The Rising influence of America's Modern Vice Presidents by Charles Denyer does a comparative analysis among the powers of old and modern presidents and their roles and responsibilities in American politics.The biographical guide is divided in to two parts. In the first part he mentions vice president Harry S.Truman, Richard Nixon,Lydon B.Johnson, Hubert Humphrey,Spiro, Agnew and Gerald Ford and considers them insignificant as far as there work was concerned.
In the second part the authors mentions the name of those vice presidents whom he calls modern vice presidents as well considers their work significant and important.This lists of important vice presidents consists of Walter Mondale,George H.W.Bush, Dan Quayle, Al Gore, Dick Cheney,Jo Biden and Mike Pence.
Charles is right in saying that American policy has changed, even the old vice presidents did not have living quarter near the White House.Charles gives the example of vice president White Mondale who brought the vice presidency to its height and gave it a high reputation.Charles also compares the old vice president like Lyndon B.Johnson with the modern vice president Dick Cheney who brought significant changes.
Charles appreciates the efforts of president Barak Obama during his reign.
The defeat of Hillary Clinton despite the fact that she got 3 million more votes is also a surprise to Charles.
This is an invaluable book for those who have interest in American politics and as well as for the general readers and students of political science

Chrystal Oaks
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 83
Favorite Book: The Sister Circle
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 259
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of the Judge’s Wife by Richard Murphy

Post by Chrystal Oaks » Yesterday, 19:04

As an American, I didn't realize all the good President Obama did for the world, until after he left office. I have a great deal of respect for him. Hillary Clinton isn't the first person to loose to the Electoral College; VP Al Gore had more votes but President George W. Bush won the Electoral College. This is why there is a push to get rid of it in America. I'm looking forward to reading how VP Mondale changed the role of VPs. Thanks for the candid review!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”