Official Review: Personality and Personhood

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
raikyuu
2017 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Augmentation and Illnesses of Civilization by Dan M. Mrejeru

Official Review: Personality and Personhood

Post by raikyuu » 05 Aug 2019, 21:34

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Personality and Personhood" by Donna Silveira.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Personality and Personhood: A Scriptural Guide to Understanding Both is a self-help book that offers a model of personhood that looks at why people act the way they do. The book helps us understand ourselves more so that we may know how to be better people through God’s grace. Based on her studies of beliefs of non-Christian and Christian faiths and her experiences as a life coach, Donna Silveira wrote a book that also provides self-exercises to aid the reader in his/her reflections.

The book starts with the idea that trying to understand people, especially through appearances, is difficult since it would usually lead us to impose our guesses at their intention. This is why the book provides five core beliefs in viewing people, which allows us to know why people act the way they do instead of misunderstanding them. Then, the book gives insights into how perception affects our self-image, self-esteem, and self-worth. The book also introduces the reasons for our negative perceptions of the world. The book culminates in the “star model of personhood,” which describes the human psyche based on motivations and their causes. The book contains exercises that help the reader journal his/her thoughts.

The book is written from a Christian perspective, so the author’s points are supported by a lot of quotations from Scripture. The verses fit well with the messages in the book, and the author provides clear and examples to illustrate her points. The presented model of personhood is not only helpful in assessing one’s inclination towards a vice or a virtue, but also the model itself is creative in its inception. By looking at the star model, one can easily appreciate its simplicity and how it easily connects to Christian symbolism. The exercises are a good addition to the book since it may force the reader to reflect on the messages of the book, as well as the reader’s journey in understanding his/her self.

Since the book heavily relies on Scripture, the book may not be easily appreciated by readers who aren’t well-versed in the Christian faith. The book contains connections with psychology, but the book is dominantly spiritual in its approach. This means that the advice in the book is dependent on the strength of one’s faith, particularly in Christianity.

The Christian overtone of this book is of no surprise since the author, raised in a Catholic family, immersed herself in Catholic theology after studying various faiths and beliefs. Nevertheless, as a self-help book for Christians, Personality and Personhood: A Scriptural Guide to Understanding Both provides a good opportunity for those who want to be a better person. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I can recommend this book to Christian readers, especially those who felt hurt in their lives.

Personality and Personhood
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
-rk

BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80

Post by BookPower9 » 06 Aug 2019, 05:43

A nice book to read. Especially when this book is written on a Christian perspective. And guided the writing by a Scripture or taken some of the thought from it. This book could enlighten many of the Christians the real views of the personhood. Nice review!

Michelle Fred
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Michelle Fred » 06 Aug 2019, 07:30

A deeper understanding of human behavior will greatly improve the way people relate with each other. I like the overall tone of the book.

Bhaskins
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Bhaskins » 06 Aug 2019, 16:04

Bummer. Sounds like a great book, but I wish it wasn’t faith based. I don’t identify as Christian and I think the references to the Bible will not make this a choice for me.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling

Nizar Ali Shah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nizar Ali Shah » 07 Aug 2019, 11:48

The book "Personality and Personhood" is a nice book which deals mainly with human behavior and greatly helps in molding positive behavior in the society.Though the book is related with Christian faith despite the fact it has many benefits for the readers.when positive behavior develops in the society then it benefits all in the society.

Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by Dee_218 » 07 Aug 2019, 13:06

Sounds like a book I would read. There were pointers in your review that definitely sold me. Since I am interested in knowing what drives peoples actions in my own path to discovering myself. Thank you for a lovely review.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Last Bush Pilots
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Our Time Will Come by Jean Gallant Marcoux

Post by kdstrack » 07 Aug 2019, 21:59

I agree with your recommendations. This book would appeal to a limited audience. Thanks for your comments on this book.

Wanjugush
Currently Reading: It's Time to Align
Bookshelf Size: 55

Post by Wanjugush » Today, 13:01

Sounds like a great book especially with a Christian perspective. Your review is great.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”