Official Review: Chasing A Flawed Sun by Daniel McGhee

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julehart1
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 32
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: Just Trust Me, A Brother's Best Friend Novel
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Chaos Theory by J. B. Sandkamp

Official Review: Chasing A Flawed Sun by Daniel McGhee

Post by Julehart1 » 04 Aug 2019, 21:57

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chasing A Flawed Sun" by Daniel McGhee.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chasing a Flawed Sun by Daniel McGhee is an autobiographical story about being addicted to drugs and alcohol. Daniel was a young teenager when he started using and abusing drugs and alcohol and became hooked very quickly. He later graduated to using heroin, and his battle with the drug took him to hell and back. This book offers an honest and revealing look at how drugs can destroy a life. It also shows that there is hope at the end of a dark tunnel. If someone truly wants to stop using, there is a way out for everyone. The author’s journey wasn’t an easy one. But, in his struggle, he finally understood what was important in his life.

The one thing that I enjoyed about this book is that it was so honest and transparent. The author didn’t hold anything back and revealed what it means to truly be addicted. I also appreciated the bravery it took for the author to share his difficult journey and also explore the very darkest parts about himself. For example, he admits to multiple thefts, wanting to seem cool to fit in with the hip crowd when he was young, and obviously using drugs. He also talked very openly about his anxiety, depression, lack of self-esteem, and how he would use drugs to numb his feelings. As he grew up and started to get clean, he admitted to a lot of his mistakes and was very grateful for a second chance.

I also liked that this book was about a very serious and important topic. A lot of people are either directly dealing with addiction or know someone who is. So, I appreciate that it’s an educational and even inspirational book that can help people heal. Hopefully, people can see that there is hope and a way out for them after reading the autobiography.

The one issue that I had with the book was that it was kind of repetitive. It seemed to drag in a lot of places. It felt like Daniel had a lot of chances to get better. However, every time it seemed like it was finally the time, he would go back to using drugs. I understand that the author was just trying to be honest and tell the readers every step of his journey, but it just went back and forth a little too long. The narrative became tedious after a while, and I wish certain parts that repeated would be edited and removed. Also, I know that Daniel has had a lot of business success after quitting heroin and other drugs. To make the book a little more inspirational and hopeful, I wish his triumphs were discussed in detail at the end.

I’m rating this book 3 out of 4 stars. I liked the honest and reflective look into the life of an addict. I also appreciated the bravery it took for the author to tell his story. This autobiography is about an important topic that can really help and inspire people. The book was also exceptionally edited. I couldn’t find a single error. I’m taking a star away because the book was repetitive and dragged in a few places. I also wish that the author talked about all his success after his addiction more. I would recommend this autobiography to anyone who is struggling with addiction or anyone who knows someone dealing with it. This book can really help many people who are going through the same journey.

Chasing A Flawed Sun
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Gathoni1991
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Gathoni1991 » 05 Aug 2019, 14:16

Wow I know someone who might really benefit from this book. Very inspiring and brave story. The cover is very artistic. Great review.

maggi3
2018 Reading Goal: 53
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: Out for Good
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Post by maggi3 » 05 Aug 2019, 15:02

The title of this book is so poetic. Addiction is an important topic that needs to be discussed more. The author’s honesty in sharing his story is courageous and commendable, but I don’t think this one is for me. Thanks for the review!

esp1975
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by esp1975 » 06 Aug 2019, 17:32

I think I would appreciate the tediousness and repetitiveness of the descriptions of the attempts to get clean. I say this because I know how difficult it is, and how many relapses people often have. If an author is telling the story of how they finally did get clean, I think it is truly important to show how long it took them, how many tries. Because it helps readers who have someone in their lives who is fighting addiction understand that every try is worthy, even if it doesn't succeed.

Michelle Fred
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Michelle Fred » 07 Aug 2019, 05:24

I admire the author's courage. I don't like repetitive books, but I don't think I would mind this one as I know the struggle an addict goes through to get clean. Thanks for your review.

Sam_Ibeh
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by Sam_Ibeh » 07 Aug 2019, 07:38

So many people are going through drug addiction. These folks get a mixed reception from society. It's great to see a resource they can go to for help. Much so, a book that was written by someone who used to abuse drugs. Wonderful review.

Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by Dee_218 » 07 Aug 2019, 14:22

Its sad that the narrative became tedious but it seems like a great book to give to affected indivuals and individuals going through similar ordeals. Thank you for a great review.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Last Bush Pilots
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Our Time Will Come by Jean Gallant Marcoux

Post by kdstrack » 07 Aug 2019, 21:10

I, also, admire the author's courage in sharing his story and his honesty about his failures. The book may be repetitive, but it helps readers understand that recovery doesn't happen overnight. The educational and inspirational aspects of the book could be beneficial to many others who struggle with addiction. Thanks for your informative review of this book.

MatereF
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-materef.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by MatereF » 09 Aug 2019, 14:19

I admire the author's honesty in telling his addiction story. I know many people who benefit from reading this book, it will encourage them not to give up on the journey to be clean. Just like you, I would have appreciated had the author also talked about his success, to remind those who are battling addictions of any kind that there's light at the end of the tunnel and that not all is lost.
"The courage to imagine the otherwise is our greatest resource". Daniel J Boorstin

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”