Official Review: The Instant Champagne Expert by Rudy Ernst

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 41
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 68
2017 Reading Goal: 150
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 61
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading: The Banned Book about Love
Bookshelf Size: 737
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: The Counting Game by Cynthia Fabian

Official Review: The Instant Champagne Expert by Rudy Ernst

Post by CataclysmicKnight » 04 Aug 2019, 15:36

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Instant Champagne Expert" by Rudy Ernst.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I love wine, whether it's expensive ice wine for a special occasion or the cheapest boxed wine I can find. But where non-bubbly wines feel relaxing and peaceful, champagne feels like a celebration in a bottle. Regardless of how many glasses of wine I've had over the years, if you asked me how wine was made, I'd just shrug my shoulders and say "people stomp on grapes and then ferment the juice, right?" So when I saw The Instant Champagne Expert by Rudy Ernst, Ph.D., I dove at the chance to review it. After all, the only thing better than learning something new is learning it quickly!

The Instant Champagne Expert is a 27-page booklet all about champagne: what it is, how it was originally created, the differences between champagne and wine, the best bubbly labels from various regions (it's not true champagne if it comes from anywhere outside of Champagne, after all!), why people should drink it, the best ways to open a bottle and the type of glass to use. Keep in mind that all of this is packed into a book that's not even 30 pages long, so it's all told at a brisk pace.
Is it therefore a coincidence that the King James Bible mentions the word “Wine” 231 times, but the word “Milk” only 48 times? Certainly not!
I really appreciated Rudy's humor in The Instant Champagne Expert. The quote above comes from one of the first pages in the book, and that same wittiness is carried throughout the rest of the book as well. Rudy also does an exceptional job of balancing that wittiness with well-researched facts. While the book effectively works as a primer for everything about champagne, I never felt confused or lost along the way. In fact if anything the opposite is true: the more I read, the more I felt compelled to research even more. For example, did you know that Dom Pérignon isn't just the name of an expensive champagne brand, it's also the name of the blind monk who originally created champagne? Or that Madame Clicquot - "the first woman in history to run an international commercial empire" - was the one who created the process that makes champagne so clear? And if tips and tricks are more your speed, did you know about the trick with a silver spoon that (reportedly) allows a bottle of champagne to retain its bubbles better than a stopper once it's opened?

There were also plenty of things I learned that I can actually apply to my enjoyment of champagne. For example, now I know the difference between brut and demi-sec champagne, and that I really want to try some doux (the sweetest) champagne. I also learned that champagne is cleaner than other wines because it's fermented twice, and that it has calcium! Who needs milk when you can drink champagne?

The Instant Champagne Expert isn't perfect though. I found six grammatical errors while I was reading, although none of them were terribly annoying. I also don't entirely agree with the author on one single point. He wrote that readers should "respect the hard work that goes into every bottle of Champagne by not blending it with orange Juice [sic]." While I've never done this myself, I think everyone should enjoy the foods and drinks they want to enjoy however they'd like. I may think that dipping a remarkable steak in A1 is ridiculous, but if that's what someone wants to do, so be it! The same goes with wine, and if a mixed drink convinces someone to enjoy champagne, then have at it.

Luckily, Rudy only made one such comment in the book. Since there were only 6 errors in the book, I still think that The Instant Champagne Expert is worthy of 4 out of 4 stars. Anyone who likes wine of any type, especially champagne, and doesn't know much about it will absolutely love this book. Rudy's upbeat, informative, witty, and friendly writing is perfect for beginners, and I'm definitely sold on spending a few extra bucks every so often to get a nice bottle of champagne now!

The Instant Champagne Expert
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Brendan Donaghy
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: The Death Dealers by David Griffith

Post by Brendan Donaghy » 05 Aug 2019, 13:02

I totally agree with your attitude: if someone wants to drink a glass of champagne with some orange juice, who is anyone else to frown upon that? That one point aside, I like the sound of this book. Great review - you've put me in the mood for a glass of wine!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Rainbow by Lisa Silva

Post by kandscreeley » 05 Aug 2019, 20:43

I could probably learn more about champagne as I don't know much about it. I have, though, enjoyed some in orange juice (gasp). I'm not sure I could get through this one, though. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
Latest Review: Rainbow by Lisa Silva

Michelle Fred
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-fred.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Michelle Fred » 06 Aug 2019, 08:14

I like how you infused humor into your review, reading it made me smile. I barely drink, but it wouldn't hurt to have the knowledge.

Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by Dee_218 » 07 Aug 2019, 13:23

Sounds like a great book to gift a champaigne lover. Thank you for a lovely and informative review.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Last Bush Pilots
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Our Time Will Come by Jean Gallant Marcoux

Post by kdstrack » 07 Aug 2019, 21:24

" it has calcium! Who needs milk when you can drink champagne?" OK. Champagne on cereal and champagne in coffee! Thanks for the suggestion! (I think it might ruin my attempts to follow a Keto diet, though!)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”