Official Review: You, Improved by Martha Karelius

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 83
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 229
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading: A Desperate Turn of Events
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Osteoporosis & Osteopenia: Vitamin Therapy for Stronger Bones by Bryant Lusk
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Official Review: You, Improved by Martha Karelius

Post by cpru68 » 30 Jul 2019, 15:35

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "You, Improved" by Martha Karelius.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When people think about making significant changes in their lives, they are often paralyzed by the notion of giving up a comfort zone or two. Author Martha Karelius has put together a book that is meant to make tasks more relaxed and less frightening. Readers will find You, Improved to be filled with useful advice and encouragement that focuses on creating healthier and happier individuals.

This highly organized guide takes an incremental approach as page one begins with the first day of January and ends on the last day of December. Participants are encouraged to clean up their space physically, count their calories, and take inventory of their money. In addition, this author addresses the idea of getting rid of tightly held beliefs that are not working anymore and looking outside of oneself to help those in need. There was something fresh on every page throughout the entire book to inspire and put into action a positive change without it becoming overwhelming.

The most impressive part of this material for me was that it covers an entire year without becoming repetitive. I did not have the luxury of taking 365 days to read this because I was on a deadline for this review. However, as I read rather large sections at a time, I noticed that the writing never got stagnant. The creativity this author used to get her points across was well done. For example, when the season changed to fall in September, she focused some of the passages on learning new things as this is the time of year students return to school. When summer rolled in, she mentioned drinking extra fluids to ward off dehydration for better health. Also, at the top of each page, she placed well-known quotes that solidified the topic for that day.

I liked that she also included special days such as National Sibling Day, Tax Day, and World Health Day. These added another layer to the subject matter that she was presenting for the day.

My absolute favorite piece of advice she gave was to plan something in the future. In this passage, she expressed how important it is to have an event to look forward to. It doesn't have to be extravagant or wipe out the budget. The idea is to think about it in anticipation to conjure up good feelings while during everyday situations that may not be so thrilling. It made me think about how I viewed Christmas as a younger person. The actual day was fun, but thinking about it ahead of time was also a large part of the excitement. She wants her audience to enjoy life, and this was just one piece that she shared that I found helpful. A little getaway, a shopping trip, or spending time with a good friend is all that is required to meet this goal.

The way that this author expressed herself was nicely done, but I found more than ten errors that need some attention. Because this book is such a large project, as I mentioned earlier, it is quite understandable that some of these mistakes slipped by unnoticed. However, I am going to deduct one star because they do need to be amended. If that takes place, I would have no problem awarding this the highest score. But for now, I am giving this 3 out of 4 stars.

For those who enjoy self-help books that offer workable solutions for improving oneself, this would be a perfect fit. For readers who do not like daily passages that pertain to growing into a better person, then you might want to skip this one.

You, Improved
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Everything happens for a reason...

Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by Dee_218 » 31 Jul 2019, 07:11

I have never come accross such a self help book and I would definitely enjoy reading it. However I am South African so I see with the seasons it would not really match up to mine and the events that take place in those seasons in certain months.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Rainbow by Lisa Silva

Post by kandscreeley » 31 Jul 2019, 08:06

It sounds like this book addresses a little bit of everything. I like that it goes through the whole year with a bit of advice for each day. Still, I don't really read self-help books. Thanks, though.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
Latest Review: Rainbow by Lisa Silva

Nizar Ali Shah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nizar Ali Shah » 31 Jul 2019, 09:41

"You, improved" by Martha Karelius is a self helping guide that takes out the readers from the fear of frightening and coercion, rather it recommends a more relaxed friendly environment, where the learners should enjoy.This helping guide follows an incremental approach .The books recommends a systematic friendly approach dealing with yearly events in a beautiful way
This self help book is a great outline for developing the schedules in a nice way. The book expands the horizons and outlook of its readers providing them a relaxed environment.

TuyetMai
Currently Reading: Raptor
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tuyetmai.html
Latest Review: Sugar Hill Inn Art of Innkeeping by Steven Allen

Post by TuyetMai » 31 Jul 2019, 10:26

I'm amazed at the fact that this book has a different suggestion for everyday of the year without repetition. This sounds like a great book for people who want to introduce changes to their life gradually over time. Thanks for sharing your review.

DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by DD129 » 31 Jul 2019, 11:35

Great review! It sounds like a lovely book for those interested in helping themselves and improving their quality of life. I can’t believe the author never ran out of ideas!

kadinkins14
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 58
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kadinkins14.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by kadinkins14 » 31 Jul 2019, 15:46

Thanks for the review! This book seems like a helpful guide for someone that wants to improve their life and need ideas on how to accomplish this feat. I like that it is similar to a daily devotional and does not get repetitive!

Gathoni1991
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Gathoni1991 » 01 Aug 2019, 02:28

An amazing self-help book. Great review.

Bhaskins
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Bhaskins » 01 Aug 2019, 09:56

I love the idea of doing something daily. This sounds like a lovely book. I am adding it to my list now! Maybe I will keep it and start January 1, but I bet I could just catch up in the beginning of 2020 as it doesn't sound like it matters quite where you start.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Last Bush Pilots
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Our Time Will Come by Jean Gallant Marcoux

Post by kdstrack » 01 Aug 2019, 19:22

What a unique approach to changing your habits. I like that the author suggests something small for each day so that you do not feel overwhelmed. The idea of going outside yourself to help others is an interesting topic is a self-improvement book. This looks inspirational! Thanks for the recommendation.

cpru68
Latest Review: Osteoporosis & Osteopenia: Vitamin Therapy for Stronger Bones by Bryant Lusk

Post by cpru68 » 03 Aug 2019, 13:03

Bhaskins wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 09:56
I love the idea of doing something daily. This sounds like a lovely book. I am adding it to my list now! Maybe I will keep it and start January 1, but I bet I could just catch up in the beginning of 2020 as it doesn't sound like it matters quite where you start.
I think you can pretty much start it at anytime you wish. Sometimes, when I begin on Jan. 1, it feels like more pressure than if I just pick up a book like this one and just jump in. Random day, random time. Good luck to you with it, and thanks for reading my review!

cpru68

Post by cpru68 » 03 Aug 2019, 13:04

Gathoni1991 wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 02:28
An amazing self-help book. Great review.
Thank you! It's a great one! :)

cpru68

Post by cpru68 » 03 Aug 2019, 13:06

kadinkins14 wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 15:46
Thanks for the review! This book seems like a helpful guide for someone that wants to improve their life and need ideas on how to accomplish this feat. I like that it is similar to a daily devotional and does not get repetitive!
It reminded me of a devotional too, but it focuses on daily life stuff, and her tone is so upbeat. Thanks for reading my review. I appreciate it. :)

cpru68

Post by cpru68 » 03 Aug 2019, 13:07

DD129 wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 11:35
Great review! It sounds like a lovely book for those interested in helping themselves and improving their quality of life. I can’t believe the author never ran out of ideas!
Me either! It was just a lovely one, and now I get to read it properly and not on a fast track for a review. Yikes! Thanks for reading my review. I sure do appreciate it. :)

cpru68

Post by cpru68 » 03 Aug 2019, 13:08

Nizar Ali Shah wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 09:41
"You, improved" by Martha Karelius is a self helping guide that takes out the readers from the fear of frightening and coercion, rather it recommends a more relaxed friendly environment, where the learners should enjoy.This helping guide follows an incremental approach .The books recommends a systematic friendly approach dealing with yearly events in a beautiful way
This self help book is a great outline for developing the schedules in a nice way. The book expands the horizons and outlook of its readers providing them a relaxed environment.
I think you understand the premise of the book very well. Thanks for reading my review. :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”