Review by Nyambara -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nyambara
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambara.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by Nyambara -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambara » 29 Jul 2019, 07:51

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands is a compelling nonfiction story by Jorge P Newbery depicting his life experiences; achievements and defeats that beginning early on in his childhood. It is not a typical self-help book with pointers, but rather one where the author narrates what worked and what didn’t. He is currently a successful entrepreneur and distressed debt and real estate investor.

His financial undertakings beginning as a seven-year-old who earns by delivering newspapers, his wit is revealed in how he takes on new challenges. He sees opportunities where others would rarely see one and takes the risk. He is a child born to extremely supportive parents and that helps him in enormous ways. As a child, feats such as making sure ice-cream was always home in good time, hosting rock bands or even quitting school would have been near impossible once you calculate the dynamics. It is clear that for a significant part of his youth, his parents contributed considerably.

The title of his book is picked from his experience in endurance cycling. A burn zone is a period in the process where the difficulty climaxes and the decisions made at that point are critical to the success of it. As he narrates the different ventures he undertook, Jorge is careful to note down where the burn zones arose and how he undertook them. Many lessons lay within of the measures that worked and those that didn’t. He even goes on to tell the reader of what he would have done differently if given the chance. This is what I loved most about the book. The narrator would bring us into his everyday thoughts and feelings. We could experience every burn zone with him and worry as he did. When the Woodlands Hill issue came up, I remember holding my breath with him, with every development. Remarkably though, no matter how long it took or how seemingly impossible, through every burn zone, he found a way through.

I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. Apart from being exceptionally well-edited, the book became an experience. Like a real-life movie. The author was able to vividly portray the plot and make the reader a part of it. 3 stars or below would not have done this book justice as I did not once want to put it down.

I would most recommend this book to people looking for inspiration to better their lives or current situation. I was able to learn the essence of a burn zone and how the manner in which it is handled, can set you apart. The exploits that Jorge undertook are extraordinary, all because he took the risk and found a way through the burn zone. He took the difficult lessons and turned them into his success. The book is suitable for reading by all audiences.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”