Review by elizaron878 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
elizaron878
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 14
Currently Reading: The Copyist
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizaron878.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Review by elizaron878 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by elizaron878 » 29 Jul 2019, 06:42

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As a competitive cyclist Jorge P. Newberry learned of the term burn zones. These are intense periods during racing, which thoroughly tax a cyclists’ mental and physical resources.Burn zones vary in duration and nature, and separate the weak cyclists from the strong. Jorge realized that there are burn zones in real life, and it was from that perspective that he wrote his book, Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands.

Jorge was born to an Argentinian Father and British Mother and grew up in Los Angeles. A naturally gifted entrepreneur, at seven years,Jorge successfully negotiated for a job as a newspaper delivery boy. When he was eleven, He bought an ice cream van with his savings and started an ice cream business. By sixteen, Jorge had quit school because he felt he had had enough of formal education.

Jorge went into business straight away, tried his hand at music recording, cycling and real estate. It was in real estate that his fortune lay, for that is where he made much money and acquired quite a bit of property.But after a miscalculated business move, Jorge’s fortunes took a thorough beating, and he suffered mudslinging, betrayal and rejection. I was encouraged to learn of how he was able to make a comeback despite suffering such a great setback.

I liked the way the book is interesting, inspirational and touching. It’s written in simple English, and is to read. I may not have experienced a burn zone of the nature and magnitude that Jorge did, his narrative resonated with me. I found his personality and high moral standards admirable. I was touched by many things about Jorge’s life. But two incidences touched me most. One was when a business associate once duped him into doing something he would not normally do, that is visiting a strip club that had completely naked girls.As much as he was expected to exploit these girls sexually, Jorge could not bring himself to do as expected, felt sorry for the girls instead.

I was similarly touched when he finally proposed to his long term girl-friend,after which they had a beautiful emotional wedding ceremony.That was just heartwarming.

I didn’t find anything to dislike about the book. I was only a little bit disturbed that his parents could allow him,a mere seven year old, to deliver papers after school,and sometimes in the drenching rain.But then again, perhaps such experiences, are what shaped Jorge P. Newberry into the resilient, successful man he is today.

This book is not limited to any specific audiences.Jorge’s story is interesting, motivating and often times poignant. You are bound to be inspired as you navigate the burn zones of your life, It has no error or typos, and my rating for this book is 4 stars out of 4.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”