Review by Kishor Rao -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kishor Rao
2018 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 180
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by Kishor Rao -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kishor Rao » 28 Jul 2019, 07:57

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery is a memoir/autobiography wherein the author narrates his life story in these installments of challenges that life threw his way which he calls as Burn Zones, and how he tackled those issues and overcame them in a manner as unique as imaginable.

Jorge calls Burn Zones as short periods of extraordinary efforts which separate the winners and losers. It is in this Burn Zone that a person’s personality is defined. The book comprises of various adventures undertaken by Jorge, each having a Burn Zone. How Jorge strives to excel in these situations becomes the core of the book. Jorge is a passionate person who wants to earn money at an age as early as seven. He becomes a paperboy, saves money and takes his job up a notch. He buys an ice-cream carrying bicycle machine and becomes a local ice-cream vendor. His passion changes as quickly as seasons do and he embarks upon this entirely new journey. We witness his development from being a paperboy to owning a record company, further to see him take a job in real-estate to finally having his own real-estate firm.

The book is fast-paced. Jorge tells his story in a manner which can be enjoyed by everyone. He is humorous, empathetic, socially awkward and many other things, but the part that stands out in his story is how hardworking he is. He is always open to learning and never turns his back on a challenge. He is constantly thinking about efficient ways to do his job and enhance profit for himself and everyone around him. No other character though mentioned many a time is given more layers than are needed. They are just support staff and the reader won’t gain much by learning more about them. The story unfolds beautifully with twists at regular intervals and is constantly compelling without losing its charm anywhere. It is impeccably edited with no grammar errors anywhere to be seen.

I cannot say I have any issues with this book because I don’t. Much more depth into the lives of his parents and his wife would not do much harm and would make it more enjoyable in my opinion but I’m just nit-picking for that does not affect the reading experience at all.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for its splendid job of keeping the reader hooked being a non-fiction book, its unabashed narrative style and for the pace. I don’t think anyone will be bored reading this. This book will appeal to all age-groups for there is a lot to learn and be inspired from in this book.

HAPPY READING!

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”