Official Review: Christ's return and today's global geopo...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ButterscotchCherrie
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 50
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Adult Children
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: Christ's return and today's global geopolitical bombshells by Dr. David Liang with Dorothy Liang
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Christ's return and today's global geopo...

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 25 Jul 2019, 04:25

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Christ's return and today's global geopolitical bombshells" by Dr. David Liang with Dorothy Liang.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

While I'm too young to remember the Moon landing in 1969, I'll never forget the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989. Sending out shock waves, the event seemed to come from nowhere. One man who was not surprised was David Liang, who had published a magazine article in May 1989 predicting German reunification. That was a development that many thought impossible in the late 1980s.

David was drawing not only on his military defence expertise but also on his studies of the prophecies in the Bible. In the non-fiction work Christ's Return and Today's Global Geopolitical Bombshells: Understanding What Might Take Place After This he and Dorothy Liang walk us through the signs that international trends are the realization of biblical prophecies. They focus on world-shaking events - or bombshells, as they put it - like the historic summits involving North Korea or President Trump's decision to move the US Embassy in Israel to Jerusalem. As the USA abdicates its "policeman" role, what might happen if former superpower Russia moves into a Middle East power vacuum? In charting our possible course towards the end-times, the Liangs are guided by the prophecies in Revelation.

They refer to other biblical sources too. For instance, David's German reunification prediction was based on Nebuchadnezzar's dream of a statue with feet of iron and clay. I loved David's clever interpretation of this image. Iron symbolizes the autocratic Eastern Bloc countries, while clay represents the West because democracy allows for more shaping. Not only did the two former opposites combine after the Cold War, but Western countries also experienced elements of state control. The resulting mix is like the statue's feet in the dream. This was awe-inspiring to contemplate. David extrapolates this to predictions that Taiwan and China will reunify, as well as North and South Korea.

While the "iron and clay" image also works well for those scenarios, the case for Korean reunification isn't entirely well justified. It seems to rely on denuclearization, which isn't happening. Likewise, the point about the role of Brexit in a radically changing Europe seems to be a red herring. Although certain facts about Europe were omitted, the book is generally well researched. I enjoyed learning a lot from it, including the fact that the population of India may already have surpassed that of China. The volume of information is dense given the relative shortness of the book and its chapters. Most of the material is carefully referenced using a consistent footnote style.

The writing style is clear and the text seems well prepared, but another edit is needed as I found several typos and grammatical errors. It might be helpful to include the chapter subheadings on the contents page. Informative though the footnotes are, a bibliography signposting further reading would be useful. Though the book's factual content is mostly firm like iron, the trouble with prophecies is that their meanings can be massaged like clay. This may be why each chapter ends abruptly with a statement to the effect that everything that's happening means Jesus could be returning soon.

Ultimately, that can't be disproved. In that connection, this book might appeal most to Christians or Messianic Jews. Some of the content might be offensive to members of other religions and particularly Muslims. For example, the phrase "Islamic-based harlot" is used in connection with "Babylon the great, the mother of harlots" of Revelation 17:5 in the King James Version of the Bible. Some disambiguation of the term "Babylon" might be helpful as the word is used in various senses. Most of the meanings of "Babylon" were new to me. This enlightening book could be recommended to anyone wanting to learn about biblical end-times prophecies in the light of current trends - and shocks - in international relations.

Overall, this work is well written and informative. It's worth reading for the fascinating predictions. I wonder how many will come to pass? As the book sometimes lacks precision and impartiality, and as the editing still needs improvement, I rate it three out of four stars.

Christ's return and today's global geopolitical bombshells
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

essyallan7475
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by essyallan7475 » 11 Aug 2019, 19:52

A great review. I liked that is Christian based. Its quite inspiring. Will love to read

ButterscotchCherrie
Latest Review: Christ's return and today's global geopolitical bombshells by Dr. David Liang with Dorothy Liang

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 12 Aug 2019, 02:21

essyallan7475 wrote:
11 Aug 2019, 19:52
A great review. I liked that is Christian based. Its quite inspiring. Will love to read
It was very interesting! Thanks for your comment and welcome to the site.

Miriam Molina
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 64
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 158
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 569
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Happy Place by Alexis Clear
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina » 13 Aug 2019, 05:37

I am interested in reading this book. Though Jesus said that only the Father knows when the world will end, He also mentioned that there will be signs. I am Catholic and aim to be on the side of Christ when that day arrives. But it is best to be ready at all times because the end (either mine or the world's) will come like a thief in the night.

ButterscotchCherrie

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 13 Aug 2019, 06:11

Miriam Molina wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 05:37
I am interested in reading this book. Though Jesus said that only the Father knows when the world will end, He also mentioned that there will be signs. I am Catholic and aim to be on the side of Christ when that day arrives. But it is best to be ready at all times because the end (either mine or the world's) will come like a thief in the night.
I'd be interested to know what you think about the signs the authors identify. Thanks for reading and commenting.

LinaMueller
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by LinaMueller » 13 Aug 2019, 12:53

What a thoughtful review. I especially enjoyed the examples you gave of how the author predicted the reunification of Germany. Well done, ButterscotchCherrie. :tiphat:
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

ButterscotchCherrie

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 13 Aug 2019, 13:18

LinaMueller wrote:
13 Aug 2019, 12:53
What a thoughtful review. I especially enjoyed the examples you gave of how the author predicted the reunification of Germany. Well done, ButterscotchCherrie. :tiphat:
Yes, that was pretty awesome. Thanks for reading and commenting!

Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Importance of Soft Skills For Global Managers by Samanthani Singh

Post by Wyland » 14 Aug 2019, 08:45

This looks like an enlightening book on the current world events from a Biblical perspective. Thanks for your insightful review.

ButterscotchCherrie

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 14 Aug 2019, 16:15

Wyland wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 08:45
This looks like an enlightening book on the current world events from a Biblical perspective. Thanks for your insightful review.
It did make for an interesting perspective. Thanks for your comment!

Nivi Gideon
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn

Post by Nivi Gideon » 15 Aug 2019, 02:57

This sounds like something I would love to check out. Thank you for the clear, concise review

ButterscotchCherrie

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 15 Aug 2019, 03:15

Nivi Gideon wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 02:57
This sounds like something I would love to check out. Thank you for the clear, concise review
Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for your comment.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Rainbow by Lisa Silva

Post by kandscreeley » Yesterday, 12:38

There have been a lot of books predicting this or that. Not many of them have come true. Nevertheless, I'm extremely interested in what the author has to say. Thanks for the introduction!
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
Latest Review: Rainbow by Lisa Silva

ButterscotchCherrie

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » Yesterday, 15:46

kandscreeley wrote:
Yesterday, 12:38
There have been a lot of books predicting this or that. Not many of them have come true. Nevertheless, I'm extremely interested in what the author has to say. Thanks for the introduction!
They're quite specific about Revelation and the Bible having more validity than other predictions. Thanks for your comment!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”