Official Review: I GO THRU: Breaking Through With Expert ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 249
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: Are You Jesus? by Joshua A McClure

Official Review: I GO THRU: Breaking Through With Expert ...

Post by Cecilia_L » 24 Jul 2019, 10:26

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I GO THRU: Breaking Through With Expert Power" by Chris Harris.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Nothing is a substitute for gratitude, integrity, and hard work. Remain grateful, walk upright, and put in the effort--then watch the transformation."

Chris Harris is the founder of Roku Jutsu Combatives. He describes teaching combatives as a "feast-or-famine business," but because he finds it so fulfilling, he supplements financially lean seasons in a variety of ways. Beginning with his childhood in the projects of Dayton, Ohio, where he faced bullies daily, Harris shares his experiences, insights, and principles in I GO THRU: Breaking Through With Expert Power. Each chapter features a specific expert action or characteristic which Harris supports with personal examples and "Power Quotes" from famous people, such as Abraham Lincoln, Bruce Lee, St. Augustine, and Steve Jobs. Readers need not consider themselves experts to glean from Harris's principles, as he stresses that expert power is based upon passion and persistence rather than talent. Harris sums up his purpose for writing the book: "The success that I want for myself, I want for everyone."

Harris exemplifies transparency in his writing, whether he is discussing his business practices, faith, strengths, or weaknesses. "From a spiritual perspective, I accredit every good thing in my life to God's amazing grace, and I try not to read into it much further than that." Given his extremely unstable childhood, I admire his determination to walk in forgiveness and forego a victim mentality, which speaks volumes about his character.

I particularly like Harris's emphasis on positive character traits, including a few unexpected values that I don't typically associate with the competitive nature of combative programs. While character strength and integrity didn't come as a surprise to me, the examples he provides of gratitude and humility are a refreshing change. Harris consistently mentions their importance and acknowledges those he admires for practicing these strengths, as well as recognizing times he has fallen short in these areas.

There isn't anything I dislike about the book's content or Harris's writing style. However, regarding editing, a few "Power Quote" sections are missing the "r" in the titles. As the quote titles are included at the top of pages in bold type, the typos really stand out, detracting from the otherwise professional appearance of the book.

Even so, the editing issues are minimal in light of the positive message that will encourage a wide range of readers. Overall, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to those who enjoy reading about overcoming adversity, as well as readers who are interested in Harris's specific principles teaching how to persevere in a multitude of difficult circumstances.

I GO THRU: Breaking Through With Expert Power
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 80
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Last Bush Pilots
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Our Time Will Come by Jean Gallant Marcoux

Post by kdstrack » 30 Jul 2019, 16:35

The Roku Jutsu Combatives do not interest me, but the rest of his life is compelling! I was especially moved by his "determination" to walk in forgiveness. His comment shows that it is both a choice and a struggle. The other qualities you have mentioned reflect his integrity in his life and his work. This looks really good! Thanks for the wonderful recommendation.

maggi3
2018 Reading Goal: 53
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: Out for Good
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Post by maggi3 » 30 Jul 2019, 16:55

“The success that I want for myself, I want for everyone” is a great quote. It makes me admire the author right away. I like that he is honest about his own mistakes as well. Thanks for the review and recommendation!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 291
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Rainbow by Lisa Silva

Post by kandscreeley » 30 Jul 2019, 20:39

I avoid self-help books like the plague. However, it definitely seems like the author has some great advice and tips. I can see how those few typos would stand out when the rest of the book is so well done. Thanks.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott
Latest Review: Rainbow by Lisa Silva

Kibetious
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 30
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: The Onam Rhyme and Other Passages from Time, (American Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Is God Worth a Dime by Sandra Kay Cooper

Post by Kibetious » 31 Jul 2019, 08:01

The values that the author stresses are very important in life indeed. I'm particularly one who would stress on them and thus I am interested in reading this book. Thanks a lot for the review.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 31 Jul 2019, 11:49

kdstrack wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 16:35
The Roku Jutsu Combatives do not interest me, but the rest of his life is compelling! I was especially moved by his "determination" to walk in forgiveness. His comment shows that it is both a choice and a struggle. The other qualities you have mentioned reflect his integrity in his life and his work. This looks really good! Thanks for the wonderful recommendation.
I agree. It was the principles that he bases his business on that drew me to the book. I think you'll find it inspirational. I appreciate your kind comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 31 Jul 2019, 11:50

maggi3 wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 16:55
“The success that I want for myself, I want for everyone” is a great quote. It makes me admire the author right away. I like that he is honest about his own mistakes as well. Thanks for the review and recommendation!
I thought the same thing. Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 31 Jul 2019, 11:51

kandscreeley wrote:
30 Jul 2019, 20:39
I avoid self-help books like the plague. However, it definitely seems like the author has some great advice and tips. I can see how those few typos would stand out when the rest of the book is so well done. Thanks.
Since I know self-help books are not your cup of tea, I especially appreciate your comment. Thanks! :tiphat:

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 31 Jul 2019, 11:52

Kibetious wrote:
31 Jul 2019, 08:01
The values that the author stresses are very important in life indeed. I'm particularly one who would stress on them and thus I am interested in reading this book. Thanks a lot for the review.
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.

8amaseter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by 8amaseter » 01 Aug 2019, 13:28

Harris insistence that expert power is based on passion and persistence rather than talent is what has endeared me to the book. It will be a good read. Thanks for the review.

mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Killing History by L.K. Samuels

Post by mmm17 » 02 Aug 2019, 18:36

I don't believe I would easily pick something involving Roku Jutsu Combatives to read, but your review has deconstructed what can only be called a prejudice. Lesson learned! Thank you for a marvelous review! :tiphat:

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 09 Aug 2019, 20:22

:wink2:
8amaseter wrote:
01 Aug 2019, 13:28
Harris insistence that expert power is based on passion and persistence rather than talent is what has endeared me to the book. It will be a good read. Thanks for the review.
I liked that point also. Thanks for your comment.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L » 09 Aug 2019, 20:27

mmm17 wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 18:36
I don't believe I would easily pick something involving Roku Jutsu Combatives to read, but your review has deconstructed what can only be called a prejudice. Lesson learned! Thank you for a marvelous review! :tiphat:
I know what you mean. Since I have been a reviewer, I've read some books I would not have given a second glance in the past. :lol2: Thanks for sharing.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”