Review by Misael -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Misael
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 73
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Review by Misael -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Misael » 20 Jul 2019, 08:23

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery is the author's life story. Narrated in the first person, the book's introduction provides the reader his life in a nutshell: he starts earning at the age of seven; he opens a tryke-driven ice cream business at age eleven11; he lands his first regular job at age thirteen; he leaves school at sixteen to pursue his dreams; he becomes an entrepreneur by investing in real estate while living a simple life; he amasses millions of dollars, then a natural disaster gets him into court battles resulting to millions of debts. He loses everything. How do burn zones help him recover? Burn Zones is not merely about Newbery being a serial entrepreneur, losing his hard-earned money, and rising amidst apparently insurmountable obstacle.s How he transforms communities previously taken for granted and scorned by society into a progressive and positive places is part and parcel of what the book is all about.

I liked that Newbery explained burn zones at the start of the novel as it prevented me from stopping in my reading to google its meaning. Newbery’s entrepreneurial skills at a very young age were surprising. Where kids at seven or eleven were playing with their toys or doing their assignments, Jorge was applying for business permit. It was astonishing. His pictures lent authenticity to his stories. Nothing was accidental. His cycling as he peddle his ice cream made his legs strong and made him an athlete. Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery allowed me a glimpse of the world of racing. It was informative and a delight to read.

Newbery is an admirable person. His focus, determination and entrepreneurial skills were nothing short of amazing and commendable. He pushed himself to whatever he put his mind to. A man of integrity, he enriched himself through hard work and did not take advantage of people. If political leaders have half of his innate willingness to help people, then the world will be a peaceful and progressive place to live in. His work ethic is a rarity in this world.

There is much learning in Burn Zones: not giving up, rising above failure, keeping hope burning amidst challenges and the importance of family support.

On the downside, Newbery used some acronyms like REO which non-U.S. readers will experience some confusion as to what this stood for. I have observed only a few grammatical errors: the missing hyphen on “sapient aged trees,” “stage dived,” and the incorrect placement of hyphens on “seven-years-old.”

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery was a joy to read, and apparently it was professionally edited. The very minimal grammatical errors did not mar its beauty in any way.

This book is for those who are inclined to establish their own businesses; budding business-minded people could get many insights and lessons from Newbery’s stories. If you are interested to know how entrepreneurs transform their creative ideas into fruition, Burn Zones is definitely for you. On the other hand, if nonfiction books do not appeal to you, then you will not find this to your liking.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”