Review by Abimbola Omojowo -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abimbola Omojowo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abimbola-omojowo.html
Latest Review: From Liberty to Magnolia: In Search of the American Dream by Janice S. Ellis

Review by Abimbola Omojowo -- The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Abimbola Omojowo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Mindset" by Ace Bowers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

THE MINDSET

This is a memoir written by Ace Bowers, divided into very short ten chapters. It chronicles the author's journey from being a janitor earning a minimum wage of $6 hourly to being a millionaire within five years. He narrates how he overcame a poverty mentality to an achiever, through self-motivation.

The first chapter details his childhood, he was from a dysfunctional family of parents who smoke and abuse alcohol. This often leads to violence almost every night and so he developed an inferiority disorder leading to depression at a very young age. While in school, he either lied or made up stories if anyone asks about his folks. The remaining chapters are about his journey to self-discovery and attainment of goals he set for himself. After graduating high school, he was on a destructive path of drinking, smoking and generally neglecting his health. Luckily for him, he had help along his journey. His aunt helped by suggesting a change of scenery in order for him to start afresh. As with bad credit ratings, he was unable to get a good job and so had to start anew as a janitor.

Bowers met and fell in love with his future wife who helped him to develop a positive perspective of life. A piece of supposedly bad news from his girlfriend (she was pregnant) was the boost he needed to get his acts together. He was worried that his child might end up like him and he'd always wanted a better lifestyle for his family. This was a wake-up call for him to take hold of his life and make something meaningful of it.

One of the striking things about The Mindset is that we often learn a lot when we go through challenges in life. They serve as catalysts that often propel us to make a critical analysis of our potentials and talents, put them into use and come out successful. Another aspect of the book that I like is how he was able to mend repair the relationship with members of his family. As an adult, he was now in a better state of mind to have long-overdue talks with them and also to understand why things happened the way they did. I like his honesty and openness, the courage he has to write this memoir.

I will rate this book 4 out of 4, it seems to be well-edited as I did not notice any error. I will recommend this book to teenagers and young adult, who might be going through similar experiences. It shows that with the right mindset, past experiences do not necessarily dictate one's future. For anyone who seems to be at rock bottom and overwhelmed with life's challenges, this is a good book to read. Although the author did not give extensive methods of making money, the book can serve as a motivation to boost one's morale.

The Mindset
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”