Review by Sam_Ibeh -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 53
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: Small Change by Keddie Hughes

Review by Sam_Ibeh -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Sam Ibeh » 18 Jul 2019, 04:51

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newbery is an insightful autobiography. In this fast-paced book, Jorge shared his life’s experiences as an entrepreneur. In his bid to beat the odds in life and business, he found himself taking hits time and time again. These are what he described as "burn zones".

Jorge divided the book in such a way that each chapter depicted his journey from one venture to another. He started working as a paper delivery boy at 7. He worked his way up to becoming a real estate mogul. His entrepreneurial journey was laden with many risks. Regardless, he excelled at everything he did. He always found a way to get himself out of each burn zone.

The climax of his adventures came when he made his biggest leap in the real estate business. He beat the City’s odds to buy Woodland Meadows. This marked the highest height of his achievements as a real estate mogul. He used his expertise to transform the 1,100-unit apartment community into a safer place to live. He was the beloved of the City. Everything was going well until the Christmas Eve of 2004. A huge ice storm hit, putting Woodland Meadows in a bad shape. This was a burn zone that changed Jorge’s life and business forever. Did he ever recover? His journey through this particular burn zone was the central theme of this book.

Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newbery kept me glued from start to finish. I found myself engrossed in Jorge’s narrative. I could visualize him going through each of the burn zones. Jorge was very expressive and down to earth in sharing each of his experiences. The arrangement of his thoughts made it easy for me to flow with the book. Anyone reading this book will find it engaging.

I liked that he shared some pictures from his life's journey. This helped to make his stories relatable. He also talked about his family and nativity at strategic points in the book. This is one of the things readers expect to see from an autobiography. It helps them connect with the author on a personal level. Jorge did a great job there.

The only thing that I didn’t like was the excessive length of some chapters in comparison to others. Jorge should have fragmented those chapters. This would have helped to make the flow better. However, he made up for this with his captivating style of writing. Regardless of the few lengthy chapters, I enjoyed reading this book.

The book was well-written and the editing was professional. I didn’t see any obvious errors in the book. I rate this book 4 out of 4. I recommend this book to everyone. But, this book will benefit entrepreneurs more. This is because Jorge shared more from his journey through entrepreneurship.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”