Official Review: Silenced Behind the Silence

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Official Review: Silenced Behind the Silence

Post by Kibet Hillary »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Silenced Behind the Silence" by Carla J. Frye.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“There is no shame in asking for help,” Carla JoAnne Frye.

The quotation above almost summarizes this memoir. There are memories of some episodes in life that we wish they never resurface. What happens when something triggers such memories? The author lived with her single mother and sister. Her elder sister was loved by her mother more than her. The kind of treatment she received in her own home made her feel worthless. Furthermore, whenever she made a mistake, her mother would send her to a basement that was in their house. She longed for someone to embrace her. A relative took advantage of her desperation and began treating her in a way that made her feel special. Eventually, she began thinking somebody truly loved her. Was this relative a savior in a world where everyone seemed to hate her?

Silenced Behind the Silence is a memoir authored by Carla JoAnne Frye. The book is approximately 132 pages long and contains 25 short chapters. This is the first book by the author although she has compiled other books that are to be published soon. The author is a licensed evangelist and a motivational speaker who endeavors to empower others by helping them to reach inside themselves and consequently know who they truly are. This book is her account of how she was practically able to achieve this by peeling back layers of past hurt and pain.

The book is very informative. It shows clearly how one problem can lead to more devastating challenges. Children will consistently find solace in their homes. They may resort to seeking other alternatives if they do not earn it at home. This attempt to find a sense of belonging is what caused every problem in this book. The author could not share what she was passing through since her mother could not believe her. This created a conducive environment for abuse. The one who was assigned to protect her thus became a wolf in sheep’s clothing.

What I liked most was how the author handled the topic of child sexual abuse. She presented statistics of social vice in the introduction and afterward gave her own story. Her background was vividly described thus the reader can sympathize with her for some choices she made. Her life was filled with fear, hatred, contempt, revenge, and lies since all she knew was being called a bad girl. Hence, no one will fail to note the role parents and guardians can play in promoting child sexual abuse. One will realize that silence can be a lethal weapon against self as well. The pieces of advice given on the process of healing from abuse will also be helpful for both victims of abuse and those who are close to them. There was nothing I did not like in the book.

The book was fairly edited since it had a couple of grammatical errors. They did not detract from the overall enjoyment of the book, though. The author was equally able to successfully deliver her message of healing from abuse. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars owing to the grammatical errors. I recommend it to parents and guardians as it will aid them to discover the importance of being open with their children. Those who have suffered sexual abuse will also find it helpful. The last section entails the author’s spiritual journey and how it helped her in the process of healing. However, this does not imply that non-Christians cannot read this book.

Silenced Behind the Silence
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think we're all simply looking for someone to love us no matter our faults. When we can't find that in our family, it definitely leads to all kinds of problems. I do hope that the author was able to overcome them. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I think the author is very brave to tell her story as it takes a lot of courage. I feel awful that she had to seek solace somewhere else when she was not receiving the love and attention that was deserved by her parents. Thank you for the engaging review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a very poignant book, detailing the abuse the author suffered as a child. I think the book would depress me too much to read, knowing that a child has to endear such things. Thank you so much for a wonderful review!
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

This sounds like a great book for potential foster parents to read, as it will likely help them understand behaviors of kids who are coming into their care.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

kandscreeley wrote: 22 Jul 2019, 10:06 I think we're all simply looking for someone to love us no matter our faults. When we can't find that in our family, it definitely leads to all kinds of problems. I do hope that the author was able to overcome them. Thanks!
This is very true. She was finally able to overcome. Thanks a lot for the comment on the review. I am very grateful.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 22 Jul 2019, 10:35 I think the author is very brave to tell her story as it takes a lot of courage. I feel awful that she had to seek solace somewhere else when she was not receiving the love and attention that was deserved by her parents. Thank you for the engaging review!
Indeed, this was a show of courage and I am sure many more will be helped out of the problem of sexual abuse. Thanks a lot for the comment.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Prisallen wrote: 22 Jul 2019, 12:06 This sounds like a very poignant book, detailing the abuse the author suffered as a child. I think the book would depress me too much to read, knowing that a child has to endear such things. Thank you so much for a wonderful review!
The book has a heavy tone indeed and it needs one who is able to handle such a topic. Thanks for reading the review and also commenting on it.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

esp1975 wrote: 22 Jul 2019, 15:27 This sounds like a great book for potential foster parents to read, as it will likely help them understand behaviors of kids who are coming into their care.
It is a great book indeed, not only for the foster parents but for all parents. Thanks a lot for the comment on the review.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
AlexandraA16
Currently Reading: The Queen of Xana
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandraa16.html
Latest Review: Invent, Innovate & Prosper by Michael G. Colburn

Post by AlexandraA16 »

Kibetious wrote: 22 Jul 2019, 16:04
Prisallen wrote: 22 Jul 2019, 12:06 This sounds like a very poignant book, detailing the abuse the author suffered as a child. I think the book would depress me too much to read, knowing that a child has to endear such things. Thank you so much for a wonderful review!
The book has a heavy tone indeed and it needs one who is able to handle such a topic. Thanks for reading the review and also commenting on it.
I also think it would be a tough read, however important. Thanks for sharing.
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

What a heart-wrenching story! I'm glad the author chose to write about this and share it with others. I can't imagine going through that though. She's a tough woman.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

There really is a need to share and not keep silent. Unfortunately, most times the person with whom one can share that cry for help with is always not ready to listen. Thanks for the review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I always admire the courage it takes to share this type of experience, as I believe it helps others going through similar circumstances. Thanks for your enlightening review.
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

This book sounds pretty heavy, but it's an important topic to address. The author was brave to write such a heartbreaking memoir. Thanks for the review!
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
dorebri2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorebri2020.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by dorebri2020 »

This book sounds very important and full of depth. I am glad to see people sharing their stories like this to help others. It's a shame about the grammar errors. Thanks for the review!
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."- J.K. Rowling. :D

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”