Review by Noosh -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Noosh
2019 Reading Goal: 300
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 59
Favorite Author: T J KLune
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter Series)
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noosh.html
Latest Review: I'm Swimming in the Toilet... PLEASE DON'T FLUSH! by Len Foley
fav_author_id: 17951

Review by Noosh -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Noosh » 16 Jul 2019, 23:31

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In this autobiography Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands the author informs us from the very beginning that, "I started working when I was seven-years-old and created my first business at 11." Unbelievable, right? It is also very intriguing.

"Jorgie", as his father insisted on calling him, literally hits the ground running by becoming a paperboy at seven. At sixteen, he drops out of high school and starts his own record company. Then when the challenge is not enough for him anymore he turns to "bike racing", where he becomes a champion. When he is finally done with racing, he turns to other businesses. First, he becomes a loan originator, then moves up the ladder of success to a loan officer and then a real-estate mogul before finally settling down and starting the AHP. It's not all about his successes though, when he's about 40 something happens to him that changes his life. According to himself, he takes "one chance too many" which leads to his downfall. Will he be able to stand up again? Will he push through this burn zone too? How? And more importantly, what is a burn zone? You have to read the book to find that out.

The genre of the book is non-fiction. However, as you read the story of Jorge P. Newbery and follow him through the years of his life and career, you cannot help but consider it a fairy tale. "It's not true," was my initial reaction, especially because of the parts where he starts working at seven (who does that?) and then dropping out of high school without his parents getting angry or forcing him to continue school. How can it be possible? But it's no fairy tale and everything is true. After that, I read the book with wide eyes and surprise written all over my face. The book could also be put under these categories: autobiography and self-help.

What I liked the most was that I connected with the book on a deeper level because of the author's way of recounting his story. I experienced his pain, his happiness, and his anxiety. I also loved that the narration was detailed and interesting. Plus, it was also fast-paced, which here is not a negative point since it fits the events happening in his life. Another impressive thing about this book is that it's not all about work, it's also about family, love, and life. That is one of the many reasons I kept on reading it and never got bored. It is also worth mentioning here that in Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands, Newbery also talks about "loners" and minorities like himself, who have been ignored and marginalized by society, and the inequalities they face in their lives. Jorge P. Newbery talks a lot about the African-American minority in his book and relates to them on so many levels. This also makes the book even more worthy because as an entrepreneur he doesn't just talk about money, he understands people and he cares about them.

As I read the book, I couldn't find any grammatical or punctuation errors, which was because of the professional edition of the text. The story itself was magnificent and inspirational. Therefore, I am giving the book 4 out of 4 stars.

As for the recommendation, I think this book can be beneficial to both young adults and adults. It can inspire and motivate adults and younger readers to push through their burn zones and never give up.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.”
Lemony Snicket

Bluebird03
2019 Reading Goal: 65
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 181
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: The Good Stuff by Liz Loughlin

Post by Bluebird03 » 24 Jul 2019, 06:50

I'm amazed at all he was able to accomplish- and beginning at such a young age. It's nice that he related to people as well and wasn't just about the money. Thank you for a great review!

Noosh
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter Series)

Post by Noosh » 24 Jul 2019, 07:29

Bluebird03 wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 06:50
I'm amazed at all he was able to accomplish- and beginning at such a young age. It's nice that he related to people as well and wasn't just about the money. Thank you for a great review!
You and I both! I read those parts with wide eyes and some sort of suspicion “he’s not serious!”
But yeah, he did all that and he never once gave up. That’s amazing.
Thanks for the comments :tiphat:
Lemony Snicket

allbooked+
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 57
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep

Post by allbooked+ » 24 Jul 2019, 07:35

This sounds like a great book when life is looking difficult! I am planning to put it on my 'to-read' list!

Noosh

Post by Noosh » 24 Jul 2019, 07:44

allbooked+ wrote:
24 Jul 2019, 07:35
This sounds like a great book when life is looking difficult! I am planning to put it on my 'to-read' list!
That’s a great idea.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did when you finally read it. :)
Lemony Snicket

Mrudolph30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrudolph30.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Mrudolph30 » 29 Jul 2019, 13:00

Thanks for your review Noosh. I was glancing through available books for review a few days ago and this one caught my eye. You've inspired me to try it out!

Noosh

Post by Noosh » 29 Jul 2019, 20:53

Mrudolph30 wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 13:00
Thanks for your review Noosh. I was glancing through available books for review a few days ago and this one caught my eye. You've inspired me to try it out!
That’s great.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. :tiphat:
Lemony Snicket

Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ekta Swarnkar » 29 Jul 2019, 21:54

Good review!
This book serves an amazing story as well as a powerful message. I think people will enjoy reading it.
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:

Noosh

Post by Noosh » 29 Jul 2019, 22:09

Ekta Swarnkar wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 21:54
Good review!
This book serves an amazing story as well as a powerful message. I think people will enjoy reading it.
Yeah, I agree.

Thank you very much 😊
Lemony Snicket

Mrudolph30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrudolph30.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Mrudolph30 » 02 Aug 2019, 08:55

Noosh wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 20:53
Mrudolph30 wrote:
That’s great.
I just finished it. I did enjoy parts of it, while at times I felt it was a little self-serving. Still was worth the read. Thanks again!

Noosh

Post by Noosh » 02 Aug 2019, 20:37

Mrudolph30 wrote:
02 Aug 2019, 08:55
Noosh wrote:
29 Jul 2019, 20:53
Mrudolph30 wrote:
That’s great.
I just finished it. I did enjoy parts of it, while at times I felt it was a little self-serving. Still was worth the read. Thanks again!

Happy you enjoyed it. :D
Lemony Snicket

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”