Official Review: The Universe Thru My Eyes by Stacii Lewis

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: The Universe Thru My Eyes by Stacii Lewis

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Universe Thru My Eyes" by Stacii Lewis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Universe Thru My Eyes is a touching memoir written by Stacii Lewis.

Stacii was only two years old when his mother was shot to death. He and his older brother, Ben, were sent to live with their grandmother who died after a couple of years. With the death of their grandmother, they got to live with their abusive father who beat them for any reason. When the school got wind of the beatings, the brothers were taken by the social services and were placed in foster homes. After a few months, their father got them back and the beatings resumed, even worse than before. The brothers tried to run away but were unsuccessful.

When their father brought home a woman with four children, Stacii and Ben were happy. They finally knew what it felt like to belong to a family. However, the beatings didn’t stop and even their step-siblings weren’t spared from the abuse. The beatings were so bad that one of the boys committed suicide to avoid another beating.

Living through the pain of loss, poverty, and abuse, Stacii grew up ambitious, aggressive, violent, and defiant. With a gang of friends behind him, Stacii hounded the streets of Miami leaving a trail of violent crimes and ended up with a bounty on his head.

This is a poignant and memorable book that depicts the life of a fearless and passionate individual who was propelled into a life of crime. It has eight chapters, has a consistently steady pacing, and is told in vernacular language. Generally, it is an easy read. Scenes are vividly described including the thoughts, feelings, and emotions of the author: his affection for his younger stepbrother, his animosity towards his father, his love for the important people in his life, and his disappointment towards those who betrayed him.

All in all, I enjoyed this book more than I expected I would. It is interesting and intriguing. The part I like most is the obvious effect of Stacii’s childhood, characterized by constant physical abuse and lack of warmth and affection, to his personality and character as an adult: his defiance against authority, his inability to obtain money through legal means, and his impetuous and impulsive behavior.

However, I find it difficult to keep track of all the names of the author’s friends and associates. There are just too many. Moreover, other readers may find the ending a bit inconclusive while the use of vernacular language needs getting used to. Finally, there are several noticeable errors within the entire book including typo errors (that what it looked like) and improperly placed quotation marks (“You do not have to live like that my aunt explained") as well as inconsistent verb tenses (The year is 1974 when it all began). They detract from the overall reading experience.

I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is touching and intriguing. I recommend it to readers who enjoy memoirs and crime novels. Scenes of abuse and violence, however, may not be suitable for young readers.

The Universe Thru My Eyes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Violence in homes is worse than ever and I am glad the author has highlighted this in his book. Thanks for the review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! Stacii had quite a life. I can't even imagine all that he had to live through - for a sibling to try to escape the abuse by committing suicide? I think this might be a bit too much for me to read. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Quinto wrote: 15 Jul 2019, 04:13 Violence in homes is worse than ever and I am glad the author has highlighted this in his book. Thanks for the review.
You're welcome. It's a poignant book.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

kandscreeley wrote: 15 Jul 2019, 09:03 Wow! Stacii had quite a life. I can't even imagine all that he had to live through - for a sibling to try to escape the abuse by committing suicide? I think this might be a bit too much for me to read. Thanks for the review, though.
You're welcome. Admittedly, the story is quite heavy :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”