Review by sheli16 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sheli16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheli16.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Review by sheli16 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by sheli16 » 12 Jul 2019, 17:47

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands by Jorge P. Newbery is an uplifting autobiography about his successes and failures as an entrepreneur. He shares his ups and downs in life and what he has learned from all of his difficult moments.

Born into a half-white, half-Hispanic, Jorge began his business career when he was just 7 by delivering newspapers with his bicycle in all kinds of weather. Driven by how much he was able to save from his job, he started to invest the money by selling ice creams, continued with renting out his stage for punk rock concerts, running a record company, even competing as a professional cyclist. At 16, he dropped out of school to focus on his business ventures. The major summit in his career was his huge real estate empire. However, this also was his downfall. A natural disaster has caused a great collapse of his financial success, and he had a millionaire debt. But this failure didn’t make him give up.

Jorge has described his burn zones as a period that separates winners and losers. He believes that all of us face many burn zones in our personal lives that define who we are. We have two choices when facing a burn zone: we quit, or we push through. With his strong characters: hard work, ambition, optimistic, he decided to push through. The great things about the author are he still learns to be a nice person and keeps his feet on the ground, even he already is a successful businessman with all of his wealth in his pocket. The author also mentioned in this book about his marriage with an African-American woman and his strong bond with his father.

What I liked about this book was the author has beautifully written his own life story not as an autobiography, but more like a novel. The writing style was also simple, easy to read, chronological and systematic. This made the flow of the narration was intriguing and comprehends. The author also focused on his loss and negative things that happened throughout his life, so this made the story quite humbling and very inspiring to all readers. A lot can be learned from the author’s experiences, such as loan originator and a real estate mogul.

Even I didn’t like much about the plot of the second half part of the book since it flowed fast, but overall it deserved 4 out of 4 stars. I found no grammatical errors while I was reading, it was already professionally well-edited. I would recommend this book to those who interested in real-life stories about the entrepreneur.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”