Review by Wokeread -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wokeread
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 58
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wokeread.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Review by Wokeread -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Wokeread » 11 Jul 2019, 08:20

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands is a memoir by Jorge P. Newbery. He begins with a fascinating account of how he started earning money in 1973 at the tender age of seven. He takes the reader through different pursuits that he engaged in during his childhood, highlighting his motivation, successes, and challenges. His first job was delivering newspapers in the neighborhood of Brentwood Glen in Los Angeles. From this, he saved several hundred dollars and bought an abandoned ice cream trike from a neighbor. This was his first business purchase and it enabled him to establish a business when he was eleven.

At thirteen years of age, he got a job as a busboy at the UCLA Faculty Center. Interestingly, he then started a music record label and worked with several punk bands. Having succeeded brilliantly in that venture, he lost interest and looked earnestly into new pursuits. Inspired by the Olympics, he developed an interest in cycling and competed in several major races, even trying out for the Olympics.

Eventually, he got into the real-estate business, starting as a loan originator and rising to become a real-estate mogul. He became very successful due to his resilience, diligence and willingness to undertake profound risks. Regrettably, his success made him overconfident and led him to one of the most difficult phases of his life. He shares his experiences throughout his life and especially during this period.

As a cyclist, Jorge often encountered ‘burn zones’, described as short periods of extraordinary effort that ultimately separated winners from losers. When in a burn zone, he would counsel himself to stay relaxed and focus on enduring the pain. He knew that once the pace slowed down and the effort required reduced, it would become easier to push forward. He uses this analogy to describe several moments in his life where he encountered difficult situations. It is an important lesson that resonates throughout the book.

The author recounts his compelling story in an engaging manner. I admired his resilience, diligence, and relentless determination not to be discouraged by the opinions of other people. He utilizes his experiences to advise readers on how to stoically endure incredible hardships, overcome adversity and keep going even when the cards are stacked against them. He explores issues like risk-taking in business; learning from one’s failures; the value of hard work, and the role of politics in business.

I rate the book 4 out of 4 and recommend it for anyone seeking inspiration in business or life in general. It is well-written and thought-provoking. I felt like I moved with the author through the journey cheering his achievements and empathizing with his hardships. As he also writes about his family life, we get a complete picture of his life. This makes him very relatable. The book is well-edited. I did not dislike any part of it and will think of 'burn zones' whenever I encounter challenges.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Gathoni1991
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: The Cartel Crusher by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Gathoni1991 » 25 Jul 2019, 04:40

I love your review as well...For sure the book was thought-provoking. (I forgot to include that in my review). It is one of the best memoirs I have ever read. It will be a reference book whenever am facing a situation. And I loved the concept of "burn zones", so inspiring.

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: A-Drift on the Road by Cynthia J Dueringer

Post by Prisallen » 26 Jul 2019, 08:03

I am not a big fan of memoirs, but this book sounds fascinating. I will have to take a look at it. Thank you for an interesting and well-written review!

FrankieKelley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reading Device: B07XL7G4HH

Post by FrankieKelley » 16 Oct 2019, 23:40

Wow. This is a fascinating insight into interpreting the “burn zones” as your own personal trainer in a sense. I wanted to talk about this in my own review but couldn’t figure out a way to include it, so I’m very glad you did.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”