Review by Renee_Prior1995 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Renee_Prior1995
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-prior1995.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Review by Renee_Prior1995 -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Renee_Prior1995 » 10 Jul 2019, 18:16

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands by Jeorge P. Newbery is a non-fiction autobiography. This ambitious novel was a particularly short read of only around 200 pages. The title 'Burn Zones' was inspired by the author's cycling experiences. Where he describes the burn zones as a short period of time where a significant amount of extra effort is expected. Just as the author states on the first page of the introduction, "Everyone's life is full of burn zones, which test the limits of our bodies and minds."

At the age of seven, Jeorge delivered newspapers. He operated his first business at the age 11 after buying a neighbors icecream rig. He dropped out of high school at 16, and by 17 he was running a record company for punk bands. Despite all his early success, he still lived a simplistic life. He made simple meals, did not go to restaurants, nor did he drive expensive cars. Between 1992 and 2004 he managed to rack up a net worth of tens of millions! It was at this point, that he managed to take one risk to many. Now with over 26 million in debt, how will he handle the most difficult burn zone of his entire life?

One thing that I liked is that Jeorge considers his flaws to also be his strengths. At the start of the book, he outlines these flaws and strengths, and they are practically identical. I was able to empathize with this, as I think my flaws will also end up being my strengths at some point. I tremendously enjoyed reading about the author's ups and down. I found this autobiography to be quite inspiring. His success and failures made I feel like I could also accomplish anything I may set my mind too.

The writing style of this novel can only be summarized in a singular word, simplistic. It was relatively an easy read. The length of this book also makes it a quick read. During my reading, I did not come across any obvious editing errors. The only part of this book that I did not particularly find thrilling was his talk of real estate. This was the only point in this book that I found to be slightly boresome.

Despite the one instance of boredom, this was a spectacular novel. It was professionally edited, fast-paced, and phenomenally organized. The author should be very proud of his novel. This being considered, I give this autobiography a well-deserved rating of four out of four stars. I highly recommend this novel to everyone who enjoys non-fiction novels that are not always happy at times. The author goes through ups and downs that would keep any reader engaged. It definitely kept me interested most of the time.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"From what I have tasted of desire,
I hold those who favor fire.
but if I had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate.
To say that the destruction of ice is also great
and will suffice." - Robert Frost

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload)
Bookshelf Size: 205
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes » 19 Jul 2019, 00:19

Your review is insightful and analytical. You are right in covering the implications and lessons put forth by the author. The best of luck in the times to come.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”