Official Review: When God Says No by Chuck McLamore

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 158
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 567
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: When God Says No by Chuck McLamore
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: When God Says No by Chuck McLamore

Post by Miriam Molina » 10 Jul 2019, 05:58

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "When God Says No" by Chuck McLamore.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

All politicians running for office will win in the elections. All lotto players will get the top prize. No sick person will die. All sporting events will end in a draw. Each beauty pageant hopeful will go home with a crown. Every little boy will receive robots and toy guns for Christmas. All our enemies will slip on banana peels. These are only some of the events that would happen if God never says no to prayers. Instead of utopia, these events spell chaos. Logic tells us that God will have to say no some (or even most) of the time.

Chuck McLamore, in his book When God Says No, endeavors to empower the reader to understand and accept when God says no to fervent prayer. We who believe in God have been on our knees many times. We have received different answers: We rejoiced in the “yeses,” held out hope for the “waits,” and bewailed the “nos.” In the Foreword, the author states that the book will aid us to “prepare for, endure through, and respond to God’s no.”

McLamore has been working as an evangelist for more than seven years. He preaches, but is not preachy. He lays out the realities for those who believe in God: the creator, the giver, the end. Life is not going to be easy, but focusing on the glory of heaven and eventual union with God will give us the reason and strength to carry on, even when our prayers get the dreaded no.

McLamore uses many Bible verses to drive home his points, and I am awed by the appropriateness of the chosen verses. God indeed speaks through His Word. It is easy to appreciate the messages when you read them with your spiritual eyes. Each of the nine chapters has a central theme which is fully explored using the Bible and real-life situations.

The author touched me with his sincerity, simplicity, and openness. He uses everyday words. His examples are ordinary: a ballgame, grocery-shopping, and a forbidden office romance are some. He also admits to his own shortcomings and struggles; his unpretentious attitude allows the reader to connect with him.

The book would have been more effective without the many errors noted. There are grammar slips, mostly missing hyphens, compound words like “oftentimes” and “furthermore” written as two words, run-on sentences, and sentence fragments. The author does not use commas much, but I think this is intentional on his part. The more important mistakes are the incorrect Bible passages. On page 28, Genesis 22 should replace Genesis 21. On page 51, the passage ascribed to Matthew is actually from Mark. On page 61, the verses about Jesus praying in Gethsemane are incomplete. Luke’s version of the story of Peter and Malchus cited on page 65 does not name Peter.

Owing to the abovenamed mistakes, I give the book 3 out of 4 stars. I feel it doesn’t deserve less as its mission is accomplished. It is a book that Christians will appreciate for the truths it brings forth. We all know them, but reminders are always welcome. I do not think all Christians will be able to keep from being disappointed with God’s no all the time. But this book will surely point us in the right direction. In fact, if Christians can all live up to the lofty ideals of this book, not one of us will receive a no from God ever again.

When God Says No
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

ButterscotchCherrie
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 46
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Adult Children
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: I Believe in Fortune Cookies by Richard Yu
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 11 Jul 2019, 01:41

How interesting that the author connects the biblical stories with modern relatable situations. I enjoyed reading this in-depth review.

Shadiid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadiid.html
Latest Review: Melissa & Kasho by Camilla Chance

Post by Shadiid » 11 Jul 2019, 04:03

It is hard to go through something really depressing and when you seek God in prayer he says "No". I am glad there is a book that helps people understand this. I think more special messages can be found in this book. Definitely, a must read.
Great review

Ikigai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ikigai.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Ikigai » 11 Jul 2019, 05:11

Your first paragraph had a profound impact in deciding to read this book. I loved your introduction and reminded me of those times when I forget that sometimes, I don't receive what I want, but what I need. Thank you for your warm recommendation! I'll add it on my list.

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: The Chemist: A Psychological Thriller by Stephanie Colbert

Post by Prisallen » 11 Jul 2019, 07:33

This book could help the readers to realize why we don't always get what we pray for, which isn't always easy to understand. It sounds like something I would like to read. Thank you for a great review!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Lone Star Odyssey by David Wilson

Post by kandscreeley » 11 Jul 2019, 08:12

It sure sounds like the author has some good points. I don't think we realize what would happen if God answered everyone's prayer; it's definitely not realistic. It sounds like a book I need to read. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Everydayadventure15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 54
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-everydayadventure15.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Everydayadventure15 » 11 Jul 2019, 09:54

It’s good to be reminded that God’s ways are higher than our ways. I know it’s not always easy to understand the no’s, but this book sounds like it would be helpful in giving some Biblical insight as to why we can’t always receive a yes to our prayers.

unamilagra
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 175
Currently Reading: The Explosive Child
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Mother Love, Willow Lane, Book Two by Ann McCauley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra » 11 Jul 2019, 10:34

It's always nice when someone can write a book like this and not come across as too preachy or superior. This sounds like a topic that will be helpful for many who are struggling to understand unanswered prayers.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: The Diaries of Abi Rhode by S.L. LeClair

Post by Cecilia_L » 11 Jul 2019, 13:13

The author touched me with his sincerity, simplicity, and openness. He uses everyday words. His examples are ordinary: a ballgame, grocery-shopping, and a forbidden office romance are some. He also admits to his own shortcomings and struggles; his unpretentious attitude allows the reader to connect with him.
I hope the errors are corrected but based on your description, this sounds like a book I will enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation.

Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Magnify3 » 11 Jul 2019, 15:00

I like the title of the book. I am glad God say's no too. If he didn't I would have unnecessary heartbreak. Great work on the review.

"In fact, if Christians can all live up to the lofty ideals of this book, not one of us will receive a no from God ever again."

If only we could!

Janalyn101
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 150
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 334
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Janalyn101 » 11 Jul 2019, 19:39

I am always weary when reading a book where people have a big enough ego to speak for God. As I’ve read on in your review you say Macklemore compares things in the Bible to cover the events, no that would be something I would read. I learned as a very young child that we have free will and that God only intercedes for our benefit and he only listens to the worthy and doesn’t always say yes to them either. Because if we have free will we cannot blame bad things that happen on God only the miracles we are blessed to receive. I loved your review and I am definitely going to read it. I am very interested to see what Macklemore has to say. Thanks :wink:

Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina » 11 Jul 2019, 23:12

ButterscotchCherrie wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 01:41
How interesting that the author connects the biblical stories with modern relatable situations. I enjoyed reading this in-depth review.
The author uses examples that the ordinary person can relate to. I was pleasantly surprised by the profound lessons that everyday activities could teach.

Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina » 11 Jul 2019, 23:17

Shadiid wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 04:03
It is hard to go through something really depressing and when you seek God in prayer he says "No". I am glad there is a book that helps people understand this. I think more special messages can be found in this book. Definitely, a must read.
Great review
The lessons are easy to understand, but definitely challenging to put into practice. As the author says, we need to focus on the promised prize.

Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina » 11 Jul 2019, 23:25

Ikigai wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 05:11
Your first paragraph had a profound impact in deciding to read this book. I loved your introduction and reminded me of those times when I forget that sometimes, I don't receive what I want, but what I need. Thank you for your warm recommendation! I'll add it on my list.
God knows best. That is all we need to know. Sometimes, though, we choose to forget.

Thanks for sharing your reflections.

Miriam Molina
Favorite Book:

Post by Miriam Molina » 11 Jul 2019, 23:39

kandscreeley wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 08:12
It sure sounds like the author has some good points. I don't think we realize what would happen if God answered everyone's prayer; it's definitely not realistic. It sounds like a book I need to read. Thanks.
Yes, God cannot say yes all the time. That's an easy lesson to learn. Applying it is the hard part. So help me God!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”