Official Review: The Last Day of Regret by Matthew J Diaz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Official Review: The Last Day of Regret by Matthew J Diaz

Post by Renu G »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Last Day of Regret" by Matthew J Diaz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The cover page is inspired by tattoos that the author’s half-sister had on her body. Devastated by her sudden death at the age of twenty-four, her family desired to perpetuate her memory by publishing The Last Day of Regret. For several years, Matthew J. Diaz has been struggling with the feelings of regret, guilt, and shame associated with how they related to each other when she was alive. Hannah suffered psychologically from Borderline Personality Disorder and had a history of "drinking, drugs, sex, overeating, and cutting" herself to anesthetize the emotional pain. She regretted it all but craved for attention.

Even as a youth pastor and five years older, Matthew found it difficult to adjust to her behavior that drained his energy. He has written this memoir in detail, expressing his thoughts and feelings with surprising honesty. There isn’t a big gap between how he reveals his ideal and real self. The young man was experiencing brokenness due to personal problems. His wife, Katie, was close to Hannah, and the children loved their aunt. She had dropped out of college, was dependent on her parents, and was a difficult person. One the one hand, Matthew blames himself for contributing to her death and shares the pain of his stepdad feeling like a failure after the loss of his only blood child. On the other hand, with all that she was going through, her brother believes God has used her death for his good purpose, to prevent something worse. Hannah died in the Lord.

Matthew shares relatively little about his other siblings (an elder brother and two older twin sisters). It is only toward the end that he writes something substantial about their relationships. I was wondering about their role in Hannah’s life. In fact, their silence seems to speak a lot in the story and is something I did not like because it gave rise to several questions. This book exposes the guilt, shame, and brokenness associated with the mysterious and untimely death of a loved one.

There were tears in my eyes while reading The Last Day of Regret, and I could empathize with the author when he explained how the amount of pain associated with death depends on factors like nearness to the deceased, their age, story, and how they died. I felt sorry to know how his sister’s death was a great blow to the family for all these reasons and can imagine what it could be like to be in their place. It is fathomable that Matthew regrets not being humble enough to express his gratitude toward Hannah when she was alive. What I liked most is the beautiful analogy he gives of Hannah as a prodigal daughter and himself as the elder brother in the biblical parable (Luke 15:11-32).

From the tone of the writer, I felt as if he was addressing the book to his deceased sister, telling her how he really felt about her behavior and giving the reasons for his own reactions. It is understandable. I remember the loss of my sibling several decades ago and can sense the nostalgia and grief experienced by the author’s family. As a counselor, it also makes me speculate what the readers of this memoir will think. According to the author, “The day she died was her last day of regretting all her life’s choices because now she is with Jesus.” There are several possibilities. Perhaps youngsters going through a bad time might feel tempted to harm themselves or decide to change their mind about doing so. Maybe families will learn something from the true-life story. Those who have a family member suffering from a psychological problem may benefit from reading the book and feel understood.

After weighing the pros and cons as stated above, I give The Last Day of Regret a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. It has a few grammatical errors, and a round of editing will raise the quality of the publication. I hope it will bring healing to those grieving the loss of a loved one and recommend it to counselors, teachers, parents, and other adults. It is not meant for children or those who are fainthearted.

The Last Day of Regret
View: on Bookshelves
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

Sometimes, only when we lose someone do we think of all the ways we could have treated them differently.

I like that Mathew is open about his shortcomings and I help Hannah has finally found the peace that eluded her here on Earth.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

I have a friend with Borderline Personality Disorder. I think this may be something I should read. This does sound like a book I may struggle with only because of the raw emotions it will show, but I would still like to give it a try. Thank you for your review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like Hannah was in a lot of pain while she was alive. I know that her death had to have been traumatic for the author. I hope that this book helps those that are going through something similar. I think it'd be too emotional for me at the moment, but I'll keep it in mind. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

As a counselor I am always looking for books to share with my clients. I am not religious, but this might be a good one for those that are.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
Ahmadiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Ahmadiya »

It’s a book that filled with emotional moving story, heart twisting and showing some attitude we have that we tend to show no kindness to our close one until they’re gone when what we would say or write is of no use to them. The lesson I learned here is the meaning of the popular adage that says “Prevention is better than cure”. I still have the heart to feel sorry for him
RaeReadsandReviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raereadsandreviews.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by RaeReadsandReviews »

BPD is definitely one of the most misunderstood disorders. It affects not just the people that have it, but their loved ones, as well. This sounds like an interesting read. I hope that the family is able to find some closure from this book.
Laila_Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Laila_Hashem »

Such an emotional story. I am definitely going to read it. Thank you. your review makes me feel like I understand the author and book and want to read it.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The author showed courage in sharing his story. Hopefully, this book will help others going through the same struggles. The death of a sibling is never easy, and the author's experience could be a light for others. Thanks for the recommendation.
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

This sounds like a sad story and painful too. I'm not sure if I can read it...Great review. The book's cover is beautiful.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Great review and very thorough. I don't think that this will be a read for me but certainly, a book to pass on as I love to give a good book recommendation.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
FREDFDK
Favorite Book: Wellness Toolbox
Currently Reading: Buried
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredfdk.html
Latest Review: Wellness Toolbox by Don Roberts

Post by FREDFDK »

I hate to regret anything...I am always conscious not to regret any past actions. I would try and read . Nice review though
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

A heart wrenching story. A definite must read.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”