Review by fmd1821 -- The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Ro...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
fmd1821
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fmd1821.html
Latest Review: Mastering Real Estate with Private Money by Tom Braegelmann

Review by fmd1821 -- The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Ro...

Post by fmd1821 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance" by Morris Rollins.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I read the title of Morris Rollins’ The Chauvinist’s Guide to Modern Romance, I immediately suspected what book I was going to read. At least, the author has been honest about the content. I persuaded myself to give it a chance because you cannot judge the book by its cover. After a few pages, anyway, I had my worst suspicions confirmed.

The Chauvinist’s Guide to Modern Romance is intended as a humorous volume about how the relationships between men and women have changed in modern times. Women have allegedly taken away men’s paradise. While they are conquering their independence and the world at large, men are becoming modern “eunuchs.” With the aim to help these “eunuchs” to have every woman they want, Rollins has shortly summarized modern women’s achievements and has analyzed several male and female types.

After I read a few pages of The Chauvinist’s Guide to Modern Romance, I was quite optimistic. Its light-hearted tone and the concise and funny description of various aspects of life were both entertaining and interesting to read. The book already arouses controversy from this early stage, but it is a good polemic. It makes some relevant comments about our society and makes you reflect on how difficult relationships are nowadays.

My positive opinion did not last long. The description of the different types of men and women spoiled everything. The types include Caveman for men and Nympho and Blondes for women. They remind me of the worst social stereotypes, independently if they are men or women. This confirmed to me that The Chauvinist’s Guide to Modern Romance does not eradicate stereotypes, but it contributes to keeping them alive. I would like knowing how we can expect to improve our relationships if we believe the descriptions of this book. Of course, this is a book with a satirical tone, but it also pretends to be a guide for men who are unable to deal with women. It is difficult to imagine they will notice any improvement after reading it.

I rate The Chauvinist’s Guide to Modern Romance 2 out of 4 stars. The author has made his point, but I do not think this book is worth a higher rating. Of course, it could have been much worse. It avoids unrequired vulgarity, for example. Anyway, there are many other books, some of them written with the same humorous intent, that delve into man-woman relationships with much more insight. Those books can be read by both men and women without hurting or offending anyone. Those are also the books that can teach something useful to chauvinists, instead of lingering on stereotypes.

The best thing I have to say about The Chauvinist’s Guide to Modern Romance is that it has been painstakingly edited and lavishly illustrated. I recommend this book only to those who can focus on a few nice wisecracks without being bothered by a questionable message.

The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I think the disconnect between the supposed satire and the message that most people are actually getting from the book is what makes me want to avoid this book at all costs.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”