Official Review: The Untold: My Life, My Story, My Truth

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: The Untold: My Life, My Story, My Truth

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Untold: My Life, My Story, My Truth" by Branisa Cheneau.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As you first begin reading The Untold: My Life, My Story, My Truth by Branisa Cheneau, you are promptly introduced to the author, commencing with her life at birth. Published in February 2019, Branisa Cheneau has chosen to write this book as a way to tell her story, which has remained a family secret until now.

Growing up with a rather complicated childhood, the author features what life was like for her family residing in what she refers to as "the projects." Although she does give "the projects" credit for some of her first life lessons, she has dealt with numerous traumatic life events that no one should have to endure. Without a father figure in her life due to his incarceration, the author's childhood was spent living with her mother and older siblings, while also being surrounded by a slew of family members. When her mother begins dating a man named Charles, the family quickly sees that the mother of four has put a man before her children, while also protecting some of his darkest secrets. When abusive situations start to come to light, the author of the story reveals what can only be described as a family being torn apart and children being forced to grow up at an alarming rate.

At under 100 pages, I was able to read The Untold: My Life, My Story, My Truth in roughly an hour. It's undeniable to acknowledge the amount of strength it took for the author to expose dark family secrets. Although her story could possibly damper the relationship with some family members even more so than already done, it seems like a necessary decision in order for Ms. Cheneau to move forward with her own life and find happiness within. The writing itself seemed to be well-paced and structured. The sequence of events which occurred were easy to follow and despite having numerous family members mentioned, they were easy to differentiate and to keep track of.

I was especially fond of the strength shown by the author, even at times when she was very young. While well aware of the repercussions that could come of speaking out, her strength to tell her story is empowering and noble. I found myself wondering infinite times throughout reading how a mother could place a man above her children and was then hit with the realization that Branisa was likely wondering the same throughout her childhood.

I was pleased with the consistent editing and found no errors while reading the story. The Untold: My Life, My Story, My Truth by Branisa Cheneau is a thoughtful and passionate telling that could do wonders with raising awareness among the public about childhood abuse and neglect. I'm pleased to rate The Untold: My Life, My Story, My Truth 4 out of 4 stars and would happily recommend Branisa's story to all readers who enjoy non-fiction in hopes of establishing some awareness.

The Untold: My Life, My Story, My Truth
View: on Bookshelves
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I can't imagine the strength it took the author to write this book. Though it's an important topic that I'm glad the author was able to rise above, I don't think I could handle the dark nature of the book. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Laila_Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Laila_Hashem »

I really appreciate short novels that carry a meaningful message. It seems that a lot of published books these days have many words but don't have a clear theme or have a cliche theme.
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

This is so couragious of the author to reveal her dark family secrets. Great review.
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

Sounds like an intriguing and strengthening book. Her terrible experience will surely resonate with many. It isawful that kids growing up have to placed in instances where they are forced to grow. Thank you for a lovely review.
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

Story that really not unique. Because, this already have shown in all TV series and Movies. Yet, reading this book, might have lessons to learn. Hope, I can find time to read it. Thanks for the review.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

If taken seriously the book is perfect to learn life lessons from. Thanks for the review!
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”