Official Review: I Was a Teenage JFK Conspiracy Freak

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Official Review: I Was a Teenage JFK Conspiracy Freak

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I Was a Teenage JFK Conspiracy Freak" by Fred Litwin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"The JFK assassination has become a metaphor for politics. You can tell lies; you can spin incredibly ridiculous stories; you can make outlandish claims that are grounded in complete falsehoods, and there will still be people who believe and quote your every word. But, truth matters. Lee Harvey Oswald killed JFK. There was no conspiracy. End of story."

This claim, made by Fred Litwin in his book I Was a Teenage JFK Conspiracy Freak, is enormous. Most people on the planet would be aware of US president John F Kennedy's assassination on November 22, 1963, in Dallas, Texas. And more than half of them still believe his death the result of a dark conspiracy of men, with many suspicious elements: a change of motorcade route, shots fired from the grassy knoll, the "magic bullet," and Kennedy's head-snap in the Zapruder film ("back and to the left"). Having spent my entire life on the side of these conspiracy theorists; having read New Orleans District Attorney Jim Garrison's book; having seen Oliver Stone's film JFK, I read this book to see if one man could change my mind on decades of suspicions. Like most people, the one thing I had not done was my own independent research to see if I could debunk any of these conspiracy theories. Well, now you don't need to. Having read Fred Litwin's book, I am 100% convinced that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone in assassinating President Kennedy. All of the verifiable scientific evidence points in that direction and no other. "End of story."

Litwin's book is laid out in a logical order. It references plenty of the "factoids" about the assassination, which are pieces of supposedly factual information used by conspiracy theorists to push a false narrative. He discusses the 888-page Warren Commission Report of the investigation into the assassination, plus its 15 volumes of testimony from 500 witnesses and another 11 volumes containing 3,154 exhibits. This comprehensive investigation found no evidence of a conspiracy in the assassination. He also details the people who have their own copies of these 26 books and their own reasons for thinking the assassination a conspiracy. Litwin sets out his case methodically, debunking conspiracy theory elements piece by piece using the real science and facts of the investigation to convince his reader of the truth about the assassination. Bear in mind, even while reading this book, I still wanted to believe in a conspiracy. It's what I've believed in all my life. However, as a rational person, presented with all the evidence, I had to concede that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone.

The book debunks the farcical Jim Garrison investigation and wrongful prosecution of homosexual man Clay Shaw, and the Oliver Stone film which took Garrison's insane theory about a conspiracy of homosexuals murdering a president and presented it to the world, winning two Oscars in the process. Don't get me wrong - I loved the film. Great acting, plenty of drama and suspense. Unfortunately, almost none of it was factual. When you stop and think about it rationally, the idea of a "cabal" of homosexual sadists "thrill-killing" JFK, the entire premise for the film, is patently ridiculous. In the 1960s, homosexuals were still being demonised as "evil" people, which would have provided the impetus for Garrison's misguided "investigation." Also, lacking factual evidence, the screenwriters for the movie JFK "filled in the blanks" for inflammatory characters such as David Ferrie with lines that worked with their assumptions about a conspiracy, rather than the truth. They worked backward from a lie, filling in the blanks with more lies to try to convince their viewers.

As for factual and scientific evidence, Litwin includes enough to convince anyone who is unsure which way to think about the Kennedy assassination. Only the most hardened and obstinate conspiracy buffs will be able to resist the logic of this book, and only by continuing to delude themselves about the truth. Litwin features a huge bibliography of factual sources and references the work of experts in the fields of ballistics and forensic pathology. His presentation of factual scientific evidence includes photographs, diagrams, and copies of official government documents which are now declassified. He addresses the major issues such as the "head-snap" of Kennedy "back and to the left" and the "magic bullet," which didn't actually travel the crazy zig-zag seen in the movie JFK to cause multiple wounds; Kennedy and Governor Connally were just lined up that way in the limousine. He discusses Kennedy's autopsy results, which verified the two bullets which hit Kennedy were fired from the Texas School Book Depository behind the presidential motorcade. He also addresses false claims of Oswald's "poor marksmanship," disproved by an officer in the Marines who called him an "above average" marksman, and a page from his Marine Corps rifle score book, where he scored 49 out of 50 in a sitting position, firing rapidly, with no telescopic scope, at a range of 200 yards. The shot that killed JFK was from only 90 yards.

Litwin also summarises the tests conducted by the House Select Committee on Assassinations (HSCA) on JFK. These include authentication of the autopsy X-rays and photographs, forensic and photographic panels, handwriting and fingerprint panel, and ear-witness analysis, where only 4 out of the 178 people interviewed believed they heard shots coming from more than one location in Dealey Plaza. Further, the Mannlicher-Carcano rifle tests for the gun Oswald used to shoot Kennedy all proved it was possible to fire 3 shots in the 8.31 seconds of the assassination, and the analysis of the bullet fragments themselves found that they matched the rifle, which had Oswald's fingerprints on it. All of these tests concluded that the evidence was consistent with a single shooter, Oswald, in the Texas School Book Depository, with just two of the three bullets fired causing the wounds to both Kennedy and Governor Connally. Litwin even includes a photograph of Oswald taken by his wife Marina in his own backyard, holding the rifle. Conspiracy theorists have claimed these photographs are fake, that the shadows don't match up, indicating Oswald's head pasted on someone else's body, and similar nonsense. Looking at the photograph myself, it looks completely genuine. The shadows work fine for me, and I highly doubt such photographic fakery would have even been possible in the 1960s, let alone as convincing as this.

As for negatives, I found a few minor errors in this book, but not enough to detract from its overall rating. The editing was generally excellent, with the correct use of punctuation and italics. I Was a Teenage JFK Conspiracy Freak gets a well-earned 4 out of 4 stars. I cannot stress enough how deep-rooted my belief in a JFK assassination conspiracy was before reading this book, and how convincingly it has changed my mind. As I said, I am now 100% certain that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone in the murder of President John F Kennedy. All of the real, verifiable scientific evidence points in that direction and that direction alone. Anyone interested in the truth about the JFK assassination must read this book. The problem is that when something huge happens, like JFK or 9/11, people want to believe in some massive, Machiavellian conspiracy. This is because the event itself is so incomprehensible that they believe its cause must have been bigger than what was originally reported. However, the truth is, sometimes one man is all it takes to change the world. And sometimes, evil wins.

I Was a Teenage JFK Conspiracy Freak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

There are a few people I know who definitely believe there was a conspiracy. I have no particular opinion on it myself because it could be either way as far as I can see. People conspire all the time, that's why we have laws against criminal conspiracy. Finding out there WAS a conspiracy wouldn't surprise me.

But there are also people who act alone, people hoping to make an important point or getting others to pay attention to a problem in the government.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This book sounds well-researched and incredibly interesting. I have heard about the conspiracy of the JFK assassination, but I haven't researched it enough to know what I believe. This book would definitely help me. Thanks for the information!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I am not a conspiracy theorist in general (except about football), but I am married to one. I really appreciate a book that can take a look at the different conspiracy theories out there and then look at the actual evidence and science. The fact that the conspiracy theories were debunked doesn't matter as much to me as that someone thoroughly went through and reviewed them. But I do think it's pretty neat that he was able to change your mind, even when you didn't want your mind to be changed.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Well, this does sound convincing. I don't know if I am ready to let go of my conspiracy theory conviction! The author seems to have presented his case in a logical way that debunks everything we have always believed. This undoes years and years of books and movies! This looks like an interesting - and maybe unnerving - read! Thanks for the recommendation, Josh.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Amanda Deck wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 08:53 There are a few people I know who definitely believe there was a conspiracy. I have no particular opinion on it myself because it could be either way as far as I can see. People conspire all the time, that's why we have laws against criminal conspiracy. Finding out there WAS a conspiracy wouldn't surprise me.

But there are also people who act alone, people hoping to make an important point or getting others to pay attention to a problem in the government.
Thanks for commenting. This is definitely a case that polarises people. Having the facts laid out logically like this makes a huge difference.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kandscreeley wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 09:54 This book sounds well-researched and incredibly interesting. I have heard about the conspiracy of the JFK assassination, but I haven't researched it enough to know what I believe. This book would definitely help me. Thanks for the information!
This is an incredibly interesting and important book. I have always believed in a conspiracy in the JFK assassination... until now. Thanks!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

esp1975 wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 10:01 I am not a conspiracy theorist in general (except about football), but I am married to one. I really appreciate a book that can take a look at the different conspiracy theories out there and then look at the actual evidence and science. The fact that the conspiracy theories were debunked doesn't matter as much to me as that someone thoroughly went through and reviewed them. But I do think it's pretty neat that he was able to change your mind, even when you didn't want your mind to be changed.
Thanks. Fred Litwin has spent much of his adult life addressing the inconsistencies in the JFK conspiracy theories. His book is essential reading for anyone interested in the subject.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kdstrack wrote: 08 Jul 2019, 17:12 Well, this does sound convincing. I don't know if I am ready to let go of my conspiracy theory conviction! The author seems to have presented his case in a logical way that debunks everything we have always believed. This undoes years and years of books and movies! This looks like an interesting - and maybe unnerving - read! Thanks for the recommendation, Josh.
And I felt the same way when I started reading this book. It completely changed my perspective...and my mind. Brilliant work. Thanks for your comments!
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

I was not born yet during the JFK story. But over the long years, this assassination even came to the knowledge of the Millennials. And the reason behind that is the inspirational message of JFK. It says, "Do not ask what the Government can do for you, Ask what you can do for the Government." Thanks for the Looong review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”