Official Review: What Makes America Great by Bob Dowell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Bluebird03
2019 Reading Goal: 65
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 170
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: A Walk On The Dark Side by A von Gerhardt

Official Review: What Makes America Great by Bob Dowell

Post by Bluebird03 » 06 Jul 2019, 19:34

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What Makes America Great" by Bob Dowell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What Makes America Great was conceptualized after the 2016 election when Donald Trump campaigned on the slogan “Make America Great Again.” After New York Governor Cuomo countered with “America was never great,” Dowell felt compelled to review the rich history of the United States and report his findings to readers.

Dowell begins with the early Puritan settlers of this country. He also includes the passionate works by Martin Luther King, in his efforts to secure the same rights for African Americans as guaranteed by the Declaration of Independence. Along the same line, Dowell includes several pages on Elizabeth Cady Stanton, who called for women’s rights. His book also features the numerous contributions made by Benjamin Franklin (I was fascinated to read of his self-examination book and his devotion to maintaining it).

The author takes the reader on a chronological history lesson. I liked that he touched on many topics but did not dwell on any one of them long enough for complacency to set in. I appreciated Dowell’s disclaimer at the beginning of his book citing that he “grew up thinking America great,” “enthusiastically repeated the Pledge of Alliance,” and “gave thanks for the privilege to freely worship God and to pursue a vocation of my choice.” It set the tone of why this question of greatness was of such importance to him.

His book included several references to religion, as that was the reason behind the founding of our country. However, at no point did I feel as though I was being lectured to. Instead, Dowell offers up fact after fact and document after document to make his point regarding America and what she has achieved to date. In his last chapter, Disturbing, he takes his political stand by calling out the paralysis in the U.S. Congress as well as the media.

Readers should note that this book is a relatively short book that can easily be completed in one afternoon. There were many topics and bits of information that I had forgotten since taking history classes, and I was pleased to become reacquainted with these facts.

I award What Makes America Great by Bob Dowell 4 out of 4 stars. There was nothing I found to dislike about this book. Also, I noted only a few minor errors, so this book was well edited. This book will undoubtedly appeal to patriots of the United States. It will please those who believe that America has achieved greatness and wish to see her continue to do so. History teachers may also want to give this book a try, as it could provide a short supplement to their textbooks.

I could tell from the description of the book, that there would be politics involved. Those wanting to steer clear of politics may wish to choose another book. Anyone who is not a patriot or is immensely displeased with America may want to skip this book. Because of the nature of the book, there are no curse words or graphic scenes to navigate. This book would be appropriate for young adults and would make an informative read for those in junior high and high school.

What Makes America Great
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

ndererimana+1
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ndererimana+1 » 10 Jul 2019, 09:24

I am in your choose! This book provides heroism of AMERICAN patriots

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Lone Star Odyssey by David Wilson

Post by kandscreeley » 10 Jul 2019, 09:25

Well, I don't care what you believe about Trump, America WAS great. To say it wasn't is just weird. Anyway, I am curious what the author has to say about our history, but I do try to avoid books with politics. Glad this one was well done, though! Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

esp1975
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by esp1975 » 10 Jul 2019, 13:31

I would consider myself a patriot, and yet, I think I would have a hard time with any book that only looks at the positives. Martin Luther King, Jr was an amazing man. How our government treated him was not amazing. The fact that the things he fought against are still present to this day is not amazing. I love this country, and I think it's done amazing things, but I happen to think any discussion of our greatness has to include our failures, as well.

Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: Control Room
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Amanda Deck » 10 Jul 2019, 19:13

Focusing on the positive, it's about time! I like the idea. Scientific studies show that humans asked to find examples of bad things (such as racism, sexism, evil, whatever) expand their parameters to include more things once the original problems have been corrected. When goaded to find something, we do, confirmation bias perhaps. Better to notice the good and build on that.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Janalyn101
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 150
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 334
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Janalyn101 » 11 Jul 2019, 08:54

I thought this was a great review. I have read this book and thought your review with pot on. Thanks for the great review!

I meant spot on. I hate this predictive text. :wink:

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Make Me Tick by Nick Carr

Post by kdstrack » 11 Jul 2019, 15:44

I agree with your recommendations. This would be a wonderful review of U.S. history for this age group. The inclusion of historical characters and documents make it a valuable book. I enjoyed your review and your insights about this book. Thanks!

Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 » 12 Jul 2019, 16:50

ndererimana+1 wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 09:24
I am in your choose! This book provides heroism of AMERICAN patriots
The people highlighted throughout the book were definitely patriots! Thank you for your comments! :)

Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 » 12 Jul 2019, 16:53

kandscreeley wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 09:25
Well, I don't care what you believe about Trump, America WAS great. To say it wasn't is just weird. Anyway, I am curious what the author has to say about our history, but I do try to avoid books with politics. Glad this one was well done, though! Thanks.
I usually avoid political books as well, but this one piqued my interest. I agree with your assessments! Thank you, kandscreeley, for your insightful and honest comments. I always enjoy it when you stop by! :)

Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 » 12 Jul 2019, 16:59

esp1975 wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 13:31
I would consider myself a patriot, and yet, I think I would have a hard time with any book that only looks at the positives. Martin Luther King, Jr was an amazing man. How our government treated him was not amazing. The fact that the things he fought against are still present to this day is not amazing. I love this country, and I think it's done amazing things, but I happen to think any discussion of our greatness has to include our failures, as well.
Thank you so much, esp1975, for reading my review and for commenting! :)

Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 » 12 Jul 2019, 17:07

Amanda Deck wrote:
10 Jul 2019, 19:13
Focusing on the positive, it's about time! I like the idea. Scientific studies show that humans asked to find examples of bad things (such as racism, sexism, evil, whatever) expand their parameters to include more things once the original problems have been corrected. When goaded to find something, we do, confirmation bias perhaps. Better to notice the good and build on that.
I love the study that you noted and certainly concur with its findings. When you focus on something you do tend to notice more of it...so why not focus on the positive and what is good? Love your positive attitude! Thanks so much, Amanda, for stopping by and sharing your thoughts! :)

Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 » 12 Jul 2019, 17:14

Janalyn101 wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 08:54
I thought this was a great review. I have read this book and thought your review with pot on. Thanks for the great review!

I meant spot on. I hate this predictive text. :wink:
I have myself into trouble so many times with that predictive text. :lol: Thank you so much, Janalyn101, for reading my review and for your kind words! :)

Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 » 12 Jul 2019, 17:21

kdstrack wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 15:44
I agree with your recommendations. This would be a wonderful review of U.S. history for this age group. The inclusion of historical characters and documents make it a valuable book. I enjoyed your review and your insights about this book. Thanks!
Thank you so much, kdstrack, for your very insightful and kind words! It's always a pleasure to hear from you! :) :)

Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Wyland » 13 Jul 2019, 12:58

I really think its the founding fathers and the pioneer families who truly bring out the best aspect about America. Since then America has been digressing on moral matters and faith. Thanks for the review.

Wriley
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 14
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Wriley » 14 Jul 2019, 11:44

A book like this shows why history is so important. We can't judge where we are without determining where we came from. I prefer to believe that America Has Always Been Great. Yes, we had issues like slavery and discrimination against Native Americans but we were mostly free to speak our mind. Maybe I should say that America has been great after we fixed some issues. At least we are still working on issues like racism and not killing people for speaking up as in some places in the world. I could over look some of the politics if this book gives a great history lesson.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”