Review by James Likita -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
James Likita
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-likita.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by James Likita -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

Post by James Likita »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks: a Physician's Advice by Moton M. Tavel is a book that provides valuable advice on human health. The author is an experienced retired medical doctor. And the book reflects his expertise. It is divided into three parts: The first part "Tips," gives some advice on how individuals can stay fit and avoid making bad food, medical, and other choices relating to the human health. The second part "Myths," deals with beliefs that are either exaggerated or completely untrue. The last part "Tricks," exposes some devious tricks that scammers and fraudsters employ in deceiving gullible individuals with health problems. And surprisingly, some of these trickery are immune to the law.

On the positive aspects of the book, I like the fact that the book explains some simple and inexpensive methods through which one can maintain good health. It also discusses, especially those with scientific proof of effectiveness, diets that are most and least helpful or safe for human consumption. That way, one can be more careful of what one will eat. I'm also impressed by the author's use of practical and down to earth solutions. The health tips provided by the author include but are not limited to: diet, exercise, habits, and drugs.

In regards to the section on myths, I believe that the advice given there could be life-saving. The author reveals the truth about some myths that might have cost some people their lives. Some of these myths have endured for generations. However, the author put them to rest with counter scientific research, facts, and statistics. The book went a long way to quell some irrational fears I have personally entertained.

Honestly, I am grateful to the author for bringing to light, these devious practices. The author exposed some drug companies for selling practically next to nothing at exorbitant prices. The worst part is that some of these drugs are bad, and can even prove fatal. The drug and food regulatory agencies are claiming to have little or no control over them, due to some restrictions on their authority. I will like as many people as possible to read this book so that together we can take the "snake oil" merchants out of business.

The author also did well to avoid too much technical medical jargon. I find the book easy to read and understand.Hence, no one will be alienated by virtue of the complexity of language. There is also a brief chapter-summary at the end of each chapter, which includes the author's advice on what to do when faced with certain unclear cicumstances.

Dwelling on the negative aspects, I found some grammatical and typographical errors. They were just too numerous to be ignored, even though some of them have little bearing on the essential message-content of the book. It shows the author's careless attitude towards professional editing.

Most of the sources used were American studies, which may make other nationals feel disconnected. That should not discourage you albeit, as the US is made-up of different nationals. Some characters also appear inexplicably in odd places. Like the characters "π" and "o" appearing before and after the chapter number at the top.

The book is very enlightening and should be on every health-lover's bookshelf. I will recommend it to all those seeking to improve their health and avoid dangerous health practices. The information contained, is too valuable for 2 stars but the bad editing won't allow 4 stars, therefore I am giving it a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Wambui-nj
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 51
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

I agree with you on the sources and examples being primarily American. Others from different regions can't relate and are somehow left out.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”