Review by Ghost11111 -- The Unbound Soul

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ghost11111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghost11111.html
Latest Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Review by Ghost11111 -- The Unbound Soul

Post by Ghost11111 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight is an autobiographical book that also doubles as a spiritual guide. During his childhood, Haight experienced a series of dreams about God, which ended with a special message from Jesus saying, “go find my bones”. After this inspiring message, Haight’s mission in life was to become a spiritual guide to the masses; however, his method for going about it was very hazy in the beginning, especially with his learning disability that prevented him from reading the Bible for himself until he was much older. The author uses different instances of his life much like parables in the Bible along with beliefs from different religions around the world to show the way to spiritual fulfillment, good physical health.

I liked how the book didn’t simply just rant on about religion nor did it shovel any particular belief system down the reader’s throat; yet, Haight was still able to show how to achieve true spiritual fulfillment. As an Atheist, I can’t stand it when books try to sell the reader on one particular belief system and condemn the rest to hell for disagreeing. This neutral approach had an inviting atmosphere to everyone regardless of religious beliefs, which very few books are capable of pulling off. Haight referenced many different faiths such as Catholicism, Born Again Christians, Buddhists, African Proverbs, Taoism and Islam collectively under an entity he refers to as Isness. By taking some basic, universal concepts from each of these doctrines and tying them all together, it was very apparent how to implement these practices into ones daily life and how to benefit from each.

There were certain aspects of the book that came across as a bit cultish. The author refers to himself as “The Chosen One” periodically throughout the text, which gives him a slightly pretentious aura and promotes himself as the lead authority on what he is explaining similar to other cult leaders. While the book did give tons of great advice and solid spiritual practices, there were some sections that seemed almost like either a manifesto or simply giving the audience commands as to what they should do. This didn’t happen too often but on the few occasions it did, it sounded as though he was trying too hard to get the audience to “drink the kool aide” and just follow the steps verbatim. Some examples of this include when he was talking about different meditation techniques or finding a good place to learn martial arts.

I was privileged to get the audiobook version of this book so I cannot comment on certain grammatical aspects such as punctuation; however, it sounded as though it was both well written and edited. I did not notice any grammatical errors from what was spoken by the author but without looking at the actual text, I cannot say without a shadow of a doubt that there weren’t any in the written version of this book. The only issue I had with the audiobook version was the occasional reference to either a diagram or a PDF at the back of the book that is clearly not present in this format. I also would have liked to have had the chapter titles listed on the audio list instead of just the chapter numbers so it would have been easier to locate a particular chapter if one wanted to go back and review over any previous concepts.

Even though this book isn’t necessarily my cup of tea, I give it 4 out of 4 stars due to the good life advice and the enjoyable stories sprinkled in throughout. This book would be good for anyone into spiritual books or nonfiction autobiographical books.

The Unbound Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

esp1975
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by esp1975 »

I am also an Atheist (well, Humanist, but still), and so I tend to avoid books like this because, like you, I do not like having a particular religious view shoved down my throat. It is good to know this book does not do that. It makes me much more likely to read it.

Kelyn
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 188
Currently Reading: Devoured by Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: P.S.S.T.- Public School Speech Therapist by W. Ray
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn »

I don't think any of us like having religions pushed on us. It's good to know that the author was successful in getting his point across without taking that route. Thanks for the review!
I think it's a good thing that life isn't fair...if it was, it would mean we deserve all the bad things that happen to us. :eusa-think: - Marcus - Deep Space Nine

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”