Official Review: The Instant Champagne Expert by Rudy Ernst

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Democracy in America
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: The Both of Us by Jayne C and Doug Sedwick

Official Review: The Instant Champagne Expert by Rudy Ernst

Post by Juliana_Isabella » 03 Jul 2019, 19:48

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Instant Champagne Expert" by Rudy Ernst.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Instant Champagne Expert by Rudy Ernst is a short and simple guide to a familiar drink. Ernst speaks from his personal experience growing up near the Rhine. He guides the reader through the definition of champagne, the champagne-making process, and the health benefits of champagne and wine.

I learned a number of things about champagne and was reminded of some things I had learned before. Like most readers, I already knew that true champagne only comes from a specific region of France called Champagne, but I didn’t know that it was cloudy until Veuve Clicquot invented a way to extract dead yeast from the bottle, creating the clear champagne we’re familiar with today. Readers will learn this and other information about the drink in Ernst’s book.

I also enjoyed that the book was well-organized with chapters and subchapters. From the introduction to the conclusion, I felt that each page built upon the previous one. I think most people could learn something from this quick read, but connoisseurs may be familiar with most of the information already. The author can be a little condescending on occasion, but it’s not unexpected that someone who grew up in champagne cellars would be disapproving of mimosas and strawberry wine.

I only have a couple of complaints about this book. First, the formatting looks more like a pdf document than a book, primarily because the print is very large and there are blank lines between paragraphs. Between this and the multiple grammatical errors I found, I’m fairly sure that a professional editor was not consulted. Also, the book is only 28 pages and took less than half an hour to read, so I’m not sure I would recommend paying $9.50 for the Kindle version. If the author expanded the book to include more information about wine and the differences between various types of wine and champagne, it would likely attract more paying readers.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed learning some new facts about champagne, and the author is obviously well informed. However, the lack of professional editing led me to take away one star. I considered removing another for the length, but the author didn’t try to misrepresent his book, and the shortness may appeal to some readers. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in champagne. It doesn’t contain any inappropriate material, but it may not be of interest to people who are below the legal drinking age.

The Instant Champagne Expert
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 25
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: The Depth of Grace
Bookshelf Size: 750
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: The Passions & Perils of the Prodigy by GJ Neumann

Post by Kibetious » 06 Jul 2019, 02:16

This is truly informative and I guess any reader will be surprised at the amazing information the author offers about champagne. I would like to read this. Thanks for your review.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Lone Star Odyssey by David Wilson

Post by kandscreeley » 06 Jul 2019, 10:14

If you really enjoy champagne, this would probably be interesting and informative. I don't like it enough to take the time to read it. Great information, though.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Alena_Surya
2019 Reading Goal: 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alena-surya.html
Latest Review: The Life and Lessons of a Young Author by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Alena_Surya » 06 Jul 2019, 11:34

I would definitely pick up a book that says you can be an instant expert on anything especially since I like trying new things and if it's only 28 pages.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Make Me Tick by Nick Carr

Post by kdstrack » 06 Jul 2019, 16:18

This would be helpful for wine and champagne drinkers. It does seem a high priced for the book's length. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”