Review by Tomah -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Review by Tomah -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Tomah » 02 Jul 2019, 23:04

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands is an autobiographical non-fiction book written by Jorge P. Newbery. The author is a serial entrepreneur who started working at age seven as a paperboy, used his savings from various jobs to start a record business, and eventually became a real estate mogul. He saw all of his life's hard work go to waste as an ice storm hit an apartment complex he was trying to develop. This triggered a series of events culminating in financial collapse, forcing him to find a way to regain his footing.

The most important and recurring theme in the book is the concept of burn zones. As a former bike racer, the author defines burn zones as short but intense stretches in a race that test one's limits and separate winners from losers. He believes that all of us, not just athletes, face several burn zones in our personal lives that define who we are. All of the book's stories try to illustrate and reinforce that notion, showing how the author overcame his burn zones and inspiring the reader to do the same.

The author is great at painting vivid pictures of the events he witnessed. You take an intimate look at the '80s punk scene through the eyes of an idealistic young man, experience a rush of adrenaline as you read about bike races, face the thrill and despair of high-risk business ventures, etc. The rich details make for an engaging read from start to finish.

While the first six chapters are mostly focused on professional pursuits, the last four deal with more personal events that happened in the past few years. The author talks about his involvement with the Occupy movement, his marriage, and his father's death. These chapters are significantly shorter, but they offer a satisfying and heartwarming conclusion to the book. The author's memories of his father's last days are particularly touching, and you really feel the strong bond between these two.

I only found two grammatical errors and a minor typo, so the book is generally well-edited. Given that, I'm confident in rating Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands 4 out of 4 starts. It's an excellent read suitable for all audiences, featuring simple and accessible language without swear words or inappropriate content. Whether you are a young person unsure about the future, an entrepreneur trying to deal with some crisis, a worker facing an important career decision, or anyone else dealing with uncertainty and change, you should be able to extract valuable lessons from the book.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

inaramid
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 77
2017 Reading Goal: 10
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: Heirs & Spares by J. L. spohr

Post by inaramid » 13 Jul 2019, 01:41

I think books like this are more empowering than any self-help book that promises steps or some formula for success. I like the analogy the author employed with the "burn zones," and I'm glad to see that there isn't any tone of self-importance (which is a problem I have with these types of books) in the book. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one!

Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah » 13 Jul 2019, 02:03

inaramid wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 01:41
I think books like this are more empowering than any self-help book that promises steps or some formula for success. I like the analogy the author employed with the "burn zones," and I'm glad to see that there isn't any tone of self-importance (which is a problem I have with these types of books) in the book. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one!
Agreed, this is one of the main reasons I'm wary of self-help books in general. The author really is very down-to-earth. It would be easy for him to judge others and tell everyone how to live their lives based on his success story, but he turns out to be very socially conscious and aware of his mistakes.

Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 214
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Wyland » 13 Jul 2019, 12:10

I also found this book amazing. A quote from Nelson Mandela was especially eye opening. Thanks for the wonderful review.

Tomah
Currently Reading:

Post by Tomah » 13 Jul 2019, 20:00

Wyland wrote:
13 Jul 2019, 12:10
I also found this book amazing. A quote from Nelson Mandela was especially eye opening. Thanks for the wonderful review.
It was this one, right? "The greatest glory in living lies not in never failing, but in rising every time we fail." Wise words to live by, for sure. Thank you for commenting!

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Favorite Book: The Turn
Currently Reading: No Rest for the Wicked
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Letora » 14 Jul 2019, 08:39

This sounds like a book everyone can learn from. Thank you for your review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

LinaMueller
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 66
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by LinaMueller » 14 Jul 2019, 11:44

This book is a masterpiece and you has immeasurable worth. Your review is great as well. Good job, Tomah.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”