Official Review: Rising From the Cinders

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Democracy in America
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: The Both of Us by Jayne C and Doug Sedwick

Official Review: Rising From the Cinders

Post by Juliana_Isabella » 02 Jul 2019, 14:52

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rising From the Cinders" by Laurie A. Morrill.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rising From The Cinders by Laurie A. Morrill is an inspirational memoir that details the author’s experiences with anorexia, her parents’ fights with cancer, and her own journey in introspection that allowed her to come to peace with her past and embrace her future. Morrill focuses mainly on spiritual energy and the law of attraction, which claims that one’s thoughts and beliefs attract things into the person’s life. She claims that focusing your energy on negative thought patterns can bring negative things into your life, including antagonistic people and disease. She wrote this book to share her spiritual understanding with the world and to help others avoid the pain her family went through due to not being emotionally open with themselves and each other.

I most appreciated Morrill’s willingness to admit when she made mistakes in life and explain that her growth as a person will never be over. As the reader, you sense that Morrill is accompanying you on your journey, not looking down on you from the peak of a mountain she has already summited. This is encouraging and keeps the author from sounding condescending, which is a common danger in self-help books.

I also applaud Morrill for being understanding of the fact that not everyone has the same beliefs she does. There are some uncommon assertions in this book, including the idea that holding onto negative emotions can create (or prevent the remission of) cancer. These ideas will not be accepted by most people, and Morrill makes herself clear in saying that she’s not against medical intervention for disease. She is simply advocating for people to listen to their hearts and bodies, choose the intervention that is correct for them, and focus on a positive outcome even when the future appears dark.

Unfortunately, I found issues within this book that occasionally prevented me from enjoying Morrill’s story. There were many grammatical errors throughout the book, and it was obvious that it had not been professionally edited. In addition, the author begins the book by saying she’s going to talk about her life from start to finish, but she seems to include time jumps, and I was often confused by how separate parts of the story fit into the overall timeline. The beginning was also a very slow start, and I think she could have completely excluded either the introduction or the first chapter because they seemed to include many of the same ideas. There were other parts of the book that became repetitive as well, so I think it could benefit from the work of a professional editor who could guide the author through making necessary cuts.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the author’s tone and her humility, but the editing of the book left a lot to be desired. I would recommend this book only to open-minded readers who believe in holistic medicine and to those who are not bothered by descriptions of death and the dying process. I think this book is a great reminder of the ways in which our thoughts can influence ourselves and the world around us, and many readers could be benefited by its teachings.

Rising From the Cinders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Nyambura Githui
2018 Reading Goal: 7
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 128
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: The End-Time Foretellers by Ran Weber

Post by Nyambura Githui » 08 Jul 2019, 01:41

Not many people admit to making mistakes. Morrill's willingness to do that says a lot about her as a person. The review is wonderful.

Stephanie Elizabeth
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 67
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Jessie and the Shimmering Withywicks by Viv Walker

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth » 08 Jul 2019, 06:11

I like that you mentioned the author accepting the fact that others may not share the same beliefs as her. It sounds like she had quite a tough life, but was able to persevere.
Thank you for the wonderful review!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 48
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Lone Star Odyssey by David Wilson

Post by kandscreeley » 08 Jul 2019, 09:52

It's too bad the organization of this is off. It sounds like the author has good thoughts and has been through a lot. I believe in positive thoughts for cancer remission; however, I'm not sure I'd go as far as the author. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Dee_218 » 08 Jul 2019, 14:14

Its generally hard to write timeline stories. But the book seems to be very well planned and delivered despite the mentioned errors.

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Make Me Tick by Nick Carr

Post by kdstrack » 08 Jul 2019, 17:22

The title reminded me of the phoenix, and that seems to be her purpose. She suffered many things but kept moving forward. Her total honesty about her mistakes and how death affected her can be overwhelming. I appreciate your candid opinions about her writing.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”