Review by LinaMueller -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
LinaMueller
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 66
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Review by LinaMueller -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by LinaMueller » 02 Jul 2019, 08:38

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book starts with Jorge's childhood. As the pages goes by, the book becomes more interesting. In the first pages, readers are introduced to an entrepreneur kid. In that way it becomes clear that Jorge P. Newbery was more precocious than other children of his age. Warren Buffett started working at age of six and the main character of Burn Zones at the age of seven. He started as a paperboy and had a meteoric rise right from the start. Ice cream vendor, dishwasher, owner of a record company and now CEO of American Homeowner Preservation. Jorge definitely climbed the social ladder from a middle class kid to not only a multimillionaire but also a pretty decent writer. Jorge P. Newbery is a value creator in the truest sense of the word.

What I liked most about this book was to understand in details the story of a man who climbed the social ladder to become a successful person in America. I admire hard work and discipline. Jorge P. Newbery is a hard worker, but his workaholic behaviour is motivated by passion, not by greed. He has shortcomings and lapses of judgement like any ordinary guy in America.

The chapter about Woodland Meadows is pure gold. It is probably the most important chapter of the entire book, because it shows how unfair American capitalism can be. Jorge Newbery made improvements in the community and accomplished so much good to marginalized social classes. Let me be clear: the author is not a saint. Initially he decided to solve the problems because he wanted to make money (there is nothing wrong with this kind of thinking). Now comes the sad part of the story: Jorge decided to work with the community in order to decrease the crime rates, provide employment to over 200 African American men and create a friendly climate in Woodland Meadows. When a natural disaster occurred in December 2004, the mayor realized it was more profitable to destroy Jorge’s work. Bad incentives can have a negative impact on the society. Even good and nice people sooner or later may realize the implications of being an idealist. That's what this book shows.

I can’t stress enough how Burn Zones is flawless. The words and images are clear, succinct, and well organized. I simply can't point out anything I disliked about this book. Jorge P.Newbery is not a genius like Warren Buffet but a self-made entrepreneur who succeeded in life due to hard work. The average Joe will read Burn Zones and think: “Wow, it’s possible to reach the top without stomping on other people.” The only people who can say something negative about this publication are the ones who dislike business-related books, but there is no question that Burn Zones is a real must read.

All told, Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery deserves 4 out of 4 stars because it is addictive and instructive at the same time. Few books can achieve such a memorable impact. I found no grammatical errors while I was reading. There is no question that the book is professionally edited. I can't even fathom what would prompt anybody to give less than 3 stars to such a well-written book. I understand that some readers may not like even a brilliant book because it's not their favorite genre or writing style, but believe me, it’s impossible to give two stars (or even one) to Burn Zones. This book would appeal to anyone who is interested in business-related books or entrepreneurship.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

Everydayadventure15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 54
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-everydayadventure15.html
Latest Review: Gardening With Guns by AJ Wootton

Post by Everydayadventure15 » 11 Jul 2019, 10:42

Wow! This sounds like an interesting one! I’m open to reading many genres even though my favorites tend to be science fiction and fantasy. Non-fiction books are a great way to learn and expand your perspective. I also appreciate well-written and well edited books. I’ll have to check this one out. Thanks for the review!

Wambui-nj
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 47
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Wambui-nj » 11 Jul 2019, 13:41

The chapter about Woodland Meadows is pure gold. It is probably the most important chapter of the entire book, because it shows how unfair American capitalism can be.
This, I totally agree with you. It was so sad and heartbreaking to see a person's dream crumble before his own eyes. It's such a great book. Awesome review.

LinaMueller
Currently Reading:

Post by LinaMueller » 13 Jul 2019, 13:29

Everydayadventure15 wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 10:42
Wow! This sounds like an interesting one! I’m open to reading many genres even though my favorites tend to be science fiction and fantasy. Non-fiction books are a great way to learn and expand your perspective. I also appreciate well-written and well edited books. I’ll have to check this one out. Thanks for the review!
You will certainly enjoy it. Thanks for passing by. :tiphat:
You an I, tonight!
I will forget the light.

I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

LinaMueller
Currently Reading:

Post by LinaMueller » 13 Jul 2019, 13:32

Wambui-nj wrote:
11 Jul 2019, 13:41
The chapter about Woodland Meadows is pure gold. It is probably the most important chapter of the entire book, because it shows how unfair American capitalism can be.
This, I totally agree with you. It was so sad and heartbreaking to see a person's dream crumble before his own eyes. It's such a great book. Awesome review.
Sad story indeed. :(
Thanks for the compliment. I deeply appreciated your post, Wambui-nj. :tiphat:
You an I, tonight!
I will forget the light.

I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

esp1975
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by esp1975 » 15 Jul 2019, 16:05

I agree that Newbery is an easy author to read, and that is very important. Having read another of his books and done some research related to it, I do not know that I would completely buy Newbery's version of all of the events in his life. But, the point of writing an autobiography or memoir is to tell your side of the story.

rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by rumik » 17 Jul 2019, 14:00

I don't usually like business-oriented books but the fact that the author succeeded through hard work and also helped so many people gives me a good feeling about this one. Thank you for the great, persuasive review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”