Review by ayomie -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
ayomie
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by ayomie -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by ayomie » 01 Jul 2019, 08:59

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

No one knows what tomorrow will be. That is a simple fact which influences all major decisions we make in life. The book, Burn Zones: Playing Life's Bad Hands is a testimony of this unchanging fact of life.

It is an autobiography of the author, Jorge P. Newbery, a successful entrepreneur, distressed debt and real-estate investor. He turned around some of the most troubled housing complexes and amassed a portfolio of 4,000 apartments across the USA between 1992 and 2005. This book is a treasure store of knowledge.

The opening chapter of the book narrates how young Jorge gradually moved up the ladder of success. With the full support of his parents, he was able to undertake the task of delivering newspapers on his bicycle in all kinds of weather at the tender age of seven. Encouraged by the little fortune he was able to save from this job, he moved on to other jobs and surmounted different kinds of obstacles. By the age of 14, he has saved up some few thousands in the bank. He found a door of opportunity in real estate where he was able to restructure about 4,000 units of houses. His net worth skyrocketed into millions of dollars. Then, the unexpected happened. This book describes situations we all have to go through at some point in life. Life is not a bed of roses, and everyone needs to develop the resilience and temerity needed to survive such situations. Those who lack these qualities might end up committing suicide.

The writing of this book was excellently done. There are no typographical or grammatical errors in the book. The sequence of events is believable and there is a lot to learn from the author's life story. The narrative flows smoothly and its descriptions are vivid. I love how the author made use of pictures in the narrative. It made the story come alive. I also love how the book discouraged racism. Jorge's marriage to Verria was a major highlight in the story, and their beautiful wedding picture was attached to this section. The lessons I learned from this book have helped me reshape my expectations for the future. I am better equipped to take on life's challenges.

I would recommend this book for both adults and kids who are interested in gaining useful knowledge on the principles of life. However, those already in their old age might not find much use for it. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
“I have experienced many times
since then that I don’t always have
to prove I’m right to win at the
game of life."
Rob White

Kelyn
2019 Reading Goal: 35
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 160
Currently Reading: Advent of Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 173
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn » 10 Jul 2019, 22:23

I am curious to know what happened after he earned those millions of dollars. Nothing too bad I hope. Enticing review, thanks!
It's not hoarding if its books! :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”