Review by dakotahalpain -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
dakotahalpain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotahalpain.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by dakotahalpain -- Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by dakotahalpain » 29 Jun 2019, 13:16

[Following is a volunteer review of "Burn Zones" by Jorge P. Newbery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Jorge P. Newbery, author of Burn Zones is an incredibly witty, socially awkward man who managed to rise to the top as a professional cyclist, then went on to conquer housing developments, becoming the number one HUD REO broker in the country. The challenges he faced throughout the years and the decisions he made ultimately lead to his downfall— dozens of criminal charges and crippling debt.

This is a story of a man who conquers and struggles, and struggles some more. It’s a good representation of what life has to offer. In a way, it prepares you for life by teaching the reader that no matter how hard you fall down, if you push hard enough, you can get back up.

I started reading this book during a particularly difficult time in my life. Upon reading it I found myself growing inspired and motivated to do better in my life. If Newbery taught me anything it’s that even if things aren’t going exactly as planned, with enough willpower and determination, you can probably do just about anything.

This book deserves a lot more attention than it’s getting. It’s incredibly inspiring, especially if you’re like me and going through a tough spot in life, or as Newbery calls it, a burn zone. From an outside perspective, it seems difficult to see how Newbery would have managed to salvage whatever he had left. What you should take from this book is this; With life’s downfalls come important lessons to learn that can help you in life.

What I liked most about this book is the author’s honesty throughout. He’s aware of the mistakes he makes, but knows they will help him learn. It made me feel connected to him in some way, like we had the same values and thoughts. The book is also wonderfully edited. If there were any typos, I did not notice.

I don’t have many dislikes but I did find myself zoning out during some segments of the book. Lengthy mortgage talk that I just don’t quite understand made me a bit bored. This doesn’t take away from the overall feel of the book.

I’m giving this book such a high rating because I feel like there’s a very special message inside it. Even if you’re not interested in some business man you’ve never even heard of, give it a read. You might find yourself invested in his story, and you might even learn something from it.

4 out of 4

Burn Zones
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”